• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Glove usage at comps

smoke-n-my-i's

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My wife mentioned to me this morning when she was putting on a pair of gloves to finish packaging the meat for the freezer on what she observed at the comp this past weekend.

I was shocked....

She told me that one of the team members near us, put on a pair of latex gloves. But, never took them off all day long. He moved heating blankets, put his hands in mitts to remove racks from the cooker, cut meat, pulled foil out of the box to cover his table, etc.... on and on, and NEVER changed his gloves.

Did she see something wrong?????

What are your inputs on this.... and yes, he was one of the "big" boys.....

I suppose that is one way to cut expenses... only 1 box of gloves every 2 years....:twisted:

Bill

I sure do, and change them regular... Every time I finish with one type of meat, change gloves. If I touch something else, change gloves....

I probably use more than most, but I do change them often. I probably went through close to a box just this weekend.....not counting what my wife used.

I use gloves and change them constantly. Not only for food safety but keeps my hands cleaner. I buy them in a box o 100 and they dont last 2 comps.

I change gloves every time I change foods or touch a non-food item that might be a source of contamination.

A lot of people don't seem to have grasped the glove concept. I notice that when I go into a deli, it seems that half the time I order a sandwich, the counterperson will put on a pair of gloves, make the sandwich, bag the food, take my money, make change and start the next person's sandwich without ever taking the gloves off or changing them. They might as well be working with their bare hands.

I go through a fair amount of gloves at a comp also, I don't think I go through as many as some of you but I get mine in boxes of 500 I believe so its hard to tell for sure. I also use them at home all the time easier than trying to get rub out from under my finger nails.

A lot of people don't seem to have grasped the glove concept. I notice that when I go into a deli, it seems that half the time I order a sandwich, the counterperson will put on a pair of gloves, make the sandwich, bag the food, take my money, make change and start the next person's sandwich without ever taking the gloves off or changing them. They might as well be working with their bare hands.

Except that their hands are clean when they take them off.

When I took my food handler's class (and passed) the instructor said that glove wearing is being discouraged now days because is so common people stop washing their hands and even forget to change gloves.

I still wear my gloves, but sometimes I have to remind myself not to scratch my nose or touch my face.

We're definitely glove users. We use the food handling gloves for contact with raw meats and go through a minimum of 5 pairs each during prep. Then we shed the gloves and clean everything up with soapy water and Lysol food surface disinfectant.

During cooking we switch to silicone or some other heat retardant material. During the boxing phase if I'm not using gloves I have a hand sink right next to me and wash constantly. My paranoid brain thinks that one of these days the county health dept is going to come strolling through a competition and a lot of people are going to be seriously embarrassed. Or some kid is going to get sick.

I really watch the way people keep their pits/cooking areas. Most people are pretty fastidious but there is some grossness out there... things not wiped down, food sitting out for hours, etc.

I still wear my gloves, but sometimes I have to remind myself not to scratch my nose or touch my face.

The last food safety course I took before gloves were required in food service (...pardon me while my joints creak), the instructor was asked why smoking was a food contamination concern since cigarette ash is sterilized by the heat of burning. He said that the health department wasn't concerned about the ash (although the customer might well be), they didn't want people touching their lips and then handling food. Makes you wonder just what's going on in your mouth. :eek:

Vinyl or latex? Does it matter?

I prefer to wear tight ones while prepping food, then switching to the loose poly one's when touching the meat after. For one, I can put cotton gloves under them so the heat isn't an issue and two, because they are easy to take off and on

I will use a box about every two comps my self more if I have helpers there with me.

What a relief to read that gloves are being used. Thank you to those who cook with a conscience. As a newbie CBJ, I have become increasingly queasy lately thinking about the prospect of sampling food prepared by strangers with questionable, or at least uncertain sanitary practices. To that I'll add my concern about the origin of some competitors' rigs. While some individuals may not be concerned for their own health and safety, let alone that of their family, friends and relatives, I'd rather not eat food prepared in drums that formerly stored chemicals or petroleum products. The thought is enough to make me reconsider ever judging.

Excuse me while I go vomit.

Last edited:
being new to comps i've always used gloves, it just make clean up easier & more safe (when used properly). Farking around with meats, rubs, coals, wood, why not have some protection???

We use medical grade non-latex gloves from Sam's fpr prep & cooking. Go through a lot. Use cheap plastic gloves for servings, these are usually provided by event organizer.

A lot depends on how you work and what you are working on. Technically, you do not need gloves if propping food that is to be cooked. However, once it is cooked you must (should) wear gloves or handle the food with forks, tongs, etc.

I started wearing gloves during raw prep when in the restaurant business. I kept getting infections of the nail beds on my hands...probably from the poultry since I cut up at least two cases of chicken per day. Once I started wearing the gloves it cut down the infections, a lot.

It is, of course, good practice to clean everything between meat types (not necessarily between ribs and pork butts!) and definately after any poultry. Gloves do help keep your hands cleaner, though by the rules you should wash your hands before and after each gloving.

Back