The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   when pork side ribs are fatty? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151374)

grantw 01-12-2013 06:43 PM

when pork side ribs are fatty?

There is no great place to buy side ribs anywhere near me, there is a processing plant right by me and he gladely sells to me. once in awhile the side ribs are really fatty, i almost threw out yesterdays cook but the wife stopped me. is there and way to make em good? i cooked them unfoiled in my wsm yesterday for about 6 hrs @ 250 ish its -9f here so it was up and down a little but nothing major, the taste was great but they were so fatty, can this be rendered off at all, i still have the other side rib from the same pig to cook up

Pappy 01-12-2013 06:52 PM

When ribs are fatty. I trim some of it off. Reheating leftover ribs in the oven will also take some of the fat out.

jalon 01-12-2013 06:56 PM

+1. No law against trimming some of the fat off, there's a limit on what you can render.

Freddy j 01-12-2013 07:25 PM

Also, cook at a higher heat to render off the grease

caseydog 01-12-2013 07:54 PM

I assume side ribs are the same as spare ribs. When I get fatty spares, I trim most of the fat off. A little fat adds moisture and flavor, but a lot of fat makes them hard to eat, IMO.

Take a sharp, fine cutting knife, and trim off the excess fat.

So much of the beef and pork we eat comes from factory farms, where the livestock is fed chit it was never meant to eat, just so the big corporations can make more money, that you are bound to find more fat than you need/want. Fat = profits.

I just read a really horrible story about factory pig farms in Canada. Caveat Emptor.

CD

grantw 01-12-2013 09:06 PM

Yes sides are spares. Im up in canada :) they looked good, but they were thicker ribs an once they were cooked and i went to eat them there was a layer of fat. If i sliced them to be thinner? I get them right from the processing plant so there is no way for me to see them first.

caseydog 01-12-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grantw (Post 2326590)
Yes sides are spares. Im up in canada :) they looked good, but they were thicker ribs an once they were cooked and i went to eat them there was a layer of fat. If i sliced them to be thinner? I get them right from the processing plant so there is no way for me to see them first.

Lately, I have been doing BB ribs, because the spares I am finding are too much fat compared to meat. I have been getting some righteous BB ribs at COSTCO lately, and have pretty much stopped looking at spares.

If I fin some good spares, I'll stock up and freeze.

So, it's not just a Canada thing.

CD

grantw 01-12-2013 10:33 PM

Maybe ill try 300 for this other rack?

Bludawg 01-12-2013 11:17 PM

Trim a little cook hotter 275-300 don't foil they render better in a dryer environment.