The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Brisket - Texas Style BAR-B-Q (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122517)

SirPorkaLot 12-19-2011 10:52 PM

Brisket - Texas Style BAR-B-Q

We're doing it wrong!

Who knew? :doh:

I picked up a 16lb brisket at one store and a 12lb at another. This was on the 12lber.... :crazy:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-E...0977.JPG?gl=US

Hmmm...Cook it whole, leave fat cap on....ok. Let's take a look at this recipe on the back...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-x...0978.JPG?gl=US

:shock:

:confused:

Never mind low & slow

Forget hot & fast

Texas Style BAR-B-Q is Slow & Fast!!

:mrgreen:

Utah Jake 12-19-2011 11:00 PM

I think this is a hoot, whod a thought?
So all you Texas guys, tell me what's up with this:
I was cooking in a major contest when a Texas fellow stopped by to ask if I was cooking a #24 Brisket. I had no idea what he was talking about so he told me the best Briskets cooked in Texas had at least 2 inch fat cap, the bigger the better. Huh?

gtr 12-19-2011 11:04 PM

Where do you get slow coals? :confused:
I'm gonna need those as I get older as I'm guessing they'll be easier to catch. :thumb:

SirPorkaLot 12-19-2011 11:08 PM

"You may want to vary this recipe with your own BAR-B-Q Skills." :thumb:

Groundhog66 12-19-2011 11:11 PM

I guess those Texan's really DO know brisket :becky:

bigabyte 12-19-2011 11:19 PM

I'm pretty sure Kingsford briquettes are supposed to be slow burning. I guess you use those. I wish they would say if you are supposed to turn it clockwise or counterclockwise. I hope I don't mess it up.

BBQ Bandit 12-19-2011 11:19 PM

I'm so confused!

"Well.... excuuuuuuuuse, me" (Steve Matin mod)

:razz:

gtr 12-19-2011 11:21 PM

"For best results use a meat thermometer"

Does that mean as opposed to not using a therm at all or do they mean don't get that one from the medicine cabinet? That could go really wrong. :shocked:

SirPorkaLot 12-19-2011 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtr (Post 1885874)

Does that mean as opposed to not using a therm at all or do they mean don't get that one from the medicine cabinet? That could go really wrong. :shocked:

Have to make sure you hit the "170F for medium"

BBQ Bandit 12-19-2011 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtr (Post 1885874)

Don't think a rectal thermo goes that high....

AustinKnight 12-20-2011 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Utah Jake (Post 1885860)
I think this is a hoot, whod a thought?
So all you Texas guys, tell me what's up with this:
I was cooking in a major contest when a Texas fellow stopped by to ask if I was cooking a #24 Brisket. I had no idea what he was talking about so he told me the best Briskets cooked in Texas had at least 2 inch fat cap, the bigger the better. Huh?

I think that Texan had to many bud lights, I cook 10- 15# whole briskets and don't really care to cook a 24#der ever. Supposedly the best brisket cooked in the USA are done right here in my city and they are all about 10-15# at Franklin s BBq As for the OPs post ya'll know that that's just marketed to people up north you wont find that on the shelf's here in Texas, and we do have vehicles we don't all ride horses

nucornhusker 12-20-2011 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot (Post 1885856)

They couldn't even pay real actors to pose for a picture with a smile. What does that tell you? :shocked::doh::sick:

KingRanch450 12-20-2011 07:26 AM

Thats just embarassing! I don't think that would fly here in the Lone Star State!:crazy:

CarolinaQue 12-20-2011 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinKnight (Post 1885895)
I think that Texan had to many bud lights, I cook 10- 15# whole briskets and don't really care to cook a 24#der ever. Supposedly the best brisket cooked in the USA are done right here in my city and they are all about 10-15# at Franklin s BBq As for the OPs post ya'll know that that's just marketed to people up north you wont find that on the shelf's here in Texas, and we do have vehicles we don't all ride horses

Funny, I live in Maine and haven't seen this on any shelves here either.

southernstyle 12-20-2011 07:52 AM

slow and fest brisket cooked to a perfest 170 med is the bomb. :clap: