UDS Questions

Al

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just built my first UDS. The construction of it went well, almost too well if you ask me.

Anyhow, I did my first smoke on it today when my issue cropped up. I was unable to control the temperature. When the temp began rising above 225 I attempted to close down the air intake some, however nothing worked at stopping the rising temps. The temp peaked at about 400 with the air intake fully shut down.

Just FYI, I am used to cooking indirect on a Chargriller Pro Deluxe.
And I was using Royal Oak lump.

Any suggestions that you may have to remedy this situation would be greatly appreciated.
photo.php

My first question would be, how did you light the coals? Did you have to big of a fire to control the temperature?

Can you post some pics of your UDS? Might help the brethren with their suggestions.

Is there any possibility of an air leak like maybe around the lid? Or maybe you started it with to many hot coals!

Is there any possibility of an air leak like maybe around the lid? Or maybe you started it with to many hot coals!

I have seen people bring this up before. However, I have to wonder if an air leak around the lid even matters. Most of us have a couple holes towards the top for thermometers and probe wires. Not to mention the good ole basic design of a UDS with 8 holes drilled in the lid. That is a major air leak if I ever heard of one. From what I understand, people with the holes in the lid can supposedly shut off their intake and kill the fire. I have only read that though and have no personal experience in that area.

To the OP, can you provide us some pics of your setup? That usually helps greatly in determining issues.

I will post pics of it when I get home.

As for the chimney, I use a Weber chimney, and I filled the chimney to the top. I was thinking that this may be the problem, but I never had this issue with my Chargriller.

As for the chimney, I use a Weber chimney, and I filled the chimney to the top. I was thinking that this may be the problem, but I never had this issue with my Chargriller.

Definitely the problem. You usually only need to start with 6-12 lit coals. Let the heat increase and start to cut down the intakes. It is easier to catch the temps on the way up than to bring them down. Still though, with everything closed it should have started to come down eventually.

• Thanks
Reactions: Al

Yep! Way too many hot coals

Definitely the problem. You usually only need to start with 6-12 lit coals. Let the heat increase and start to cut down the intakes. It is easier to catch the temps on the way up than to bring them down. Still though, with everything closed it should have started to come down eventually.

I agree.

• Thanks
Okay guys. I think I have a pic of my set up attached.

And I will see if I can cut down my temps by starting less fuel.

Attachments

• June 12, 2011 002.jpg
    June 12, 2011 002.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 120
Okay, I will give Kingsford a try in it. I will let you know how it goes.

I use lump with a couple of wood chunks and it works fine in the UDS. Just remember to only lite a few coals in the basket and you should be OK.

• Thanks
I have always used a full chimney of Stubbs or Kingsford and have never had a problem. Air leaks around the lid make it much more difficult to keep the temps low. That's what the ball valve is for, right? I also have a BGE. When the gasket around the lid starts to go, it is impossible to keep the temp below 240.

Some people can use lump in a UDS. I can't. Kingsford blue.

For me, the trick with lump is that it will get hot and flare up quickly when the lid is opened. With that in mind I vary the type of charcoal I use based on the cook. If I am doing a long cook of a brisket or butt and need an extended burn with minimal ash then I use lump. This also works because you don't have to open the lid that often. When cooking something that is a little more high maintenance like ribs, chicken, MOINKs, ABTs, etc. I use KB. The briqs seem to handle the lid being open better but will create more ash on longer cooks.

I have always used a full chimney of Stubbs or Kingsford and have never had a problem. Air leaks around the lid make it much more difficult to keep the temps low. That's what the ball valve is for, right? I also have a BGE. When the gasket around the lid starts to go, it is impossible to keep the temp below 240.

I do not completely disagree but as I posted earlier I do have to wonder about this a bit. I admit I do not have any experience with a "traditional" UDS with a flat lid with holes drilled in it. However, logically I wonder what the difference is between the 8 holes drilled in the top of the lid and a leak around the edge. It seems you would potentially have more air entering a 1/2" hole than a small area where the lid doesn't seal perfectly. Maybe someone can chime on this.

• Thanks
Okay, I am doing a test run with Kingsford Briqs. So far I am noticing that I had to open up a second air intake to get the temp to come up to 200. I am going to attempt to control with my valve while the second intake is full open. If it starts to get out of hand I will close off the second intake.

I started with 20 Briqs in the chimney. About five pounds of briqs in the basket.

Back