Best rub for ribs?

Dex

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
What do you guys think is the best rub you have ever used on ribs? It can be store bought or something you make.

I have tried many.... but am curious if the holy grail is still out there that I haven't tried! :thumb:

There are so many. I guess my favorite is Willie B's Bourbon Rub.

• Thanks
Reactions: Dex
I like throwing one together on the fly but really love Yardbird or Bovine Bold. I tried Tabb Trim's Pig Powder over the weekend and didn't love it on ribs but still love it on chicken. Oh yeah and Simply Marvelous….really is marvelous..many flavors to choose from. But that’s technically 4 and a maybe…I’m a bit indecisive.

Both of Plowboy's are good, Yardbird and Bovine bold, and are readily available at Bass Pro Shops. But favorite at our house is Strawberry's, I think it is regional to NE Arkansas and SE Missouri as far as getting it at your local store but it can be ordered online here http://www.strawsbbq.com/

• Thanks
i use a combination of simply marvelous seson all, dizzy pig dizzy dust and dizzy pig red eye express.

edit: most of the time that is.... i'll also occasionally use one of the other simply marvelous rubs in addition to the DP's.

To me, if you're using sauce and rub, it's not as simple as just selecting one rub and one sauce, as very few enjoy eating their Q made the same way everytime. So, you've gotta understand how to pair flavor profiles.

Example: Blues Hog is a very sweet sauce, so if I'm using it to finish, I want to use a rub with some bite in it, like 3-EYZ rub.

If I'm using a finishing sauce like my own "Bills Homemade BBQ Sauce", which is a sauce designed to give "bite without the heat", I want a rub with pure flavors, like Harry Soo's Slap Yo Daddy rub.

I'd suggest you experiment, and find combinations of both in the various sauces and rubs, and pair them as in the 2 examples I cited above.

• Thanks
To me, if you're using sauce and rub, it's not as simple as just selecting one rub and one sauce, as very few enjoy eating their Q made the same way everytime. So, you've gotta understand how to pair flavor profiles.

Example: Blues Hog is a very sweet sauce, so if I'm using it to finish, I want to use a rub with some bite in it, like 3-EYZ rub.

If I'm using a finishing sauce like my own "Bills Homemade BBQ Sauce", which is a sauce designed to give "bite without the heat", I want a rub with pure flavors, like Harry Soo's Slap Yo Daddy rub.

I'd suggest you experiment, and find combinations of both in the various sauces and rubs, and pair them as in the 2 examples I cited above.

Amen to all of that Brother! For me its all about balancing and layering flavors with each other. That is why I don't care for the typical competition rib. Sweet on top of sweet on top of sweet with a little bit of smoke flavor. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either.

Some of the best ribs I've made were rubbed with nothing more than kosher salt, granulated garlic and black pepper. When it's all said and done, I'm convinced that the quality of the meat you start with and your technique have more to do with the end product than the rub.

Back