The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   A first for me. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249121)

Smoke on Badger Mountain 07-12-2017 12:38 PM

A first for me.

I work at a camp and conference center in the Sierras, and we always have different groups coming and going. So the other day there was a knock on the door and when my wife answers a young man asks if that thing in the yard was our smoker. She says yes, that is my husbands offset pit. He than said that his name was Jeremy, he is really into bbq and has a youtube channel dedicated to bbq. What are the odds that your husband would let me use his cooker. Anyway, my wife ends up connecting us later that day and of course I was willing to let him use it. That's why I have it. I wasn't going to use it last week and I would rather it be used than just sit. Long story short he did end up cooking 3 briskets on it, one of which he gave to me as a thank you. So I just thought I would share the story and the video with the brethren.

Just a couple of notes:

I know he mentions his target temp of 203 I think and like most of you folks I cook to "probe tender" not a temp, but his final product was really, really good.

#2 I know that pit looks like crap. But she cooks just as good or better than any pit I have ever cooked on or built. She is good old Uno. The first I ever built. Everything I have ever messed with as far as will this work or not has been done to her. Cut and re welded more times than I can count.

#3 I think Jeremy and I approach 'que in different ways but his brisket spoke for its self. Super nice guy and I would let any of my pits again.

tonyjohnson619 07-12-2017 12:50 PM

Awesome and great for you for sharing your cooker

cowgirl 07-12-2017 12:51 PM

Very awesome, Josh!! Love the looks of your smoker too! :cool::-D

JayQ 07-12-2017 12:52 PM

That's cool. I've been subbed to Jeremy's channel for a while and think he puts out pretty good videos. Also that's super generous of you to let another man run your pit.:thumb:

10miler 07-12-2017 01:06 PM

Wow, that's awesome! And maybe you need to go into the smoker making biz Josh!

qnbiker 07-12-2017 01:21 PM

Thanks for posting this, Josh. I cook with charcoal and smoke wood that I bought on cookers that came from a store. You cook with wood that you chopped yourself on a smoker you built from scratch. It's people like you that keep me humble.

sturev 07-12-2017 01:23 PM

Good on you Josh! Nice work there neighbor... :thumb:

KORND4WG X 07-12-2017 01:48 PM

Helluva story. I love it and your smoker :clap2:

I've watched a few of Mad Scientist BBQ's videos and always enjoyed them. Nice! :thumb:

Beer/Meat/Victory 07-12-2017 01:48 PM

Very Cool.

nmeyer414 07-12-2017 02:02 PM

that's awesome!

CeramicChef 07-12-2017 02:45 PM

Josh - You're a good man for outfitting this guy, loaning him your cooker, and letting him burn some wood. Kudos, major kudos to you.

THoey1963 07-12-2017 03:15 PM

Nice job by you and him...

mchar69 07-12-2017 04:10 PM

That is one fun video, good to know you have the Cowboy hat and Big Beard (Jeremy says I'm "Jealous") what a good thing you have done!

Smoke on Badger Mountain 07-12-2017 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qnbiker (Post 3831901)
Thanks for posting this, Josh. I cook with charcoal and smoke wood that I bought on cookers that came from a store. You cook with wood that you chopped yourself on a smoker you built from scratch. It's people like you that keep me humble.

In full disclosure. I do size, and split all the wood but the only that I harvest myself is my oak. the rest my friend gives me and I just cut, split and stack.

Panupat 07-12-2017 07:36 PM

Sounds like you have the beard of my dream.