The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   beggin for bacon advice (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77967)

igallant 02-08-2010 04:35 PM

beggin for bacon advice

As i mentioned in my previous thread i have 2 slabs of pork bellies that have been curing for 6 days now. I am looking for advice on how to get the best result.

Here are a couple questions.

1. Can I still add Tender Quick or Salt Peter to the brine?
The last run looks like pork chop once it is cooked. It tastes good but it doesnt "look" like bacon. Maybe it shouldn't.

2. Smoke? What wood? How long? What temp?

3. Can someone help me eat it all. 10 lbs of bacon is a lot.

All comments appreciated, will be repaid in amateur BBQ pr0n.

bbqbull 02-08-2010 05:15 PM

Go to the main page here and use Google at the bottom.
It searches this forum for awnsers.

BadHorsieBBQ 02-08-2010 09:24 PM

I can help you eat it.

SmokinAussie 02-09-2010 02:47 AM

HI Ian,

It's too late to add the tenderquick in my opinion. Reason being, for it to penetrate right through the slab of meat, you'd need many more days. Consider that the bacon has already been in the cure for 6 days, all of the meat juices and insterstitial fluid from the bacon has ALREADY come out and you already have a hard slab. You're not going to get the tenderquick to get in. That's just basic chemistry..

Second, the Sodium Nitrite imparts certain colours and flavours that you come to associate with "the way bacon should look. If you have not used it, you won't get the colour or the taste you're expecting, but that is not a bad thing.

I'd recommend finishing the process as you started it and then smoke the bacon to 165 F just to make damn sure you don't kill yourself from botulism.

I've done it this way now 3 times and so far, I'm still alive and the flavour of the bacon has been well worth the effort.

Good Luck!!!

Bill

bingo1912 02-09-2010 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinAussie (Post 1174656)
HI Ian,

It's too late to add the tenderquick in my opinion. Reason being, for it to penetrate right through the slab of meat, you'd need many more days. Consider that the bacon has already been in the cure for 6 days, all of the meat juices and insterstitial fluid from the bacon has ALREADY come out and you already have a hard slab. You're not going to get the tenderquick to get in. That's just basic chemistry..

Second, the Sodium Nitrite imparts certain colours and flavours that you come to associate with "the way bacon should look. If you have not used it, you won't get the colour or the taste you're expecting, but that is not a bad thing.

I'd recommend finishing the process as you started it and then smoke the bacon to 165 F just to make damn sure you don't kill yourself from botulism.

I've done it this way now 3 times and so far, I'm still alive and the flavour of the bacon has been well worth the effort.

Good Luck!!!

Bill

Yup!
What he said, next time use Tenderquick and I recommend 7 days turning every day until it's stiff/cured. :wink: As for wood, I suppose you have Maple there. Maple is nice for bacon, try that, sometimes you gotta use what you have.
Bing