The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Is there a recommended way to reheat Boston Butt? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149065)

pman777 12-06-2012 07:01 PM

Is there a recommended way to reheat Boston Butt?

I have a 8lb Boston Butt from Sam's Club that I double wrapped iin aluminum foil. The cooked butt went from my smoker to my cooler treatment and then straigt into my freezer for a few weeks.

It's now thawed and in my fridge.

What's the best method of reheating this butt in order to make pulled pork? Reheating it while still in the current foil would be grand. Couldn't I just plop this into the oven at a low temp for several hours? About how much temp and how many hours. Or is there a better way?

buccaneer 12-06-2012 07:07 PM

Vacuum bag it and lower it into boiling water.
HTH

JazzyBadger 12-06-2012 07:51 PM

He is correct. That's the best way to retain the moisture, not overcook the meat.

Personally what I do is I pull the pork even if its purpose is to be future leftovers or "quick que." then I add family sized portions into a vac seal with some of their natural juices, and just take those bags from the freezer and toss em in some boiling water until they're DONEZO!

caseydog 12-06-2012 08:06 PM

In my experience, pulled pork re-heats very well. I have re-heated it in foil in the oven, and even re-heated it in the microwave with good results. It has enough fat in it to handle reheating without a noticeable change in moisture and tenderness.

Of all the kinds of meat, pulled pork just seems to be easier than most others to re-heat, IMO.

In my experience, the leaner the meat, or the rarer the cook, the harder it is to re-heat, since it was probably cooked to a much lower temperature. The problem with re-heating something like pork tenderloin, is that the re-heating process can end up cooking the meat beyond what it should be cooked to. Pork butt is already completely cooked, so re-heating it won't overcook it. It's not like trying to re-heat a medium rare steak.

CD

Pyle's BBQ 12-06-2012 10:28 PM

If it is a whole butt, not pulled, you can reheat in the foil. Just make sure it is thawed all the way through. It will take a few days in the fridge. If the butt was done when you took it off the smoker, you just need to heat to 160*F. You wil know if you need to heat it more by how it pulls. I reheat whole butts/shoulders at the restaraunt every day.

BBQ Bandit 12-06-2012 10:42 PM

Also applies to vac-sealed racks of ribs (cut in half for easier handling/sealing).