The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   First Day vending (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70150)

Chuckwagonbbqco 10-13-2009 03:14 PM

Racks of ribs I sell by the "Rack" It is kinda like selling a "Bale" of hay---some bales weigh 75 pounds some way 120 pounds. There is no standard of measurment for a "rack" of ribs---so I stay out of trouble. I can divide the number of racks of ribs in a case into the price of the case and average the price that each rack costs me. I price the ribs according to what I paid for them.

I sell whole tri-tips in the same manner. I either wrap them whole or slice them for the customer.

The dept. of weights and measures here have been very active in enforcing any measurement that is well defined. Local firewood sellers have been getting busted because their advertised "Cord" of wood is not really a cord. I would not buy fuel by the gallon from a fuel pump that has not been certified---so why would I expect people to buy meat by the pound from me when I can not weigh it correctly.

CajunSmoker 10-13-2009 03:31 PM

Kind of off the topic of Q, but when I was running a commercial Shiitake mushroom farm we needed to be able to sell mushrooms by the #. We bought a used scale for about $50 if a remember correctly and called the Dept of Agriculture which sent a representative to the farm and certified our scales. Didn't cost anything. Louisiana law, so your mileage may vary:wink:

Jerk Pit Master 10-14-2009 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuckwagonbbqco (Post 1054591)
Racks of ribs I sell by the "Rack" It is kinda like selling a "Bale" of hay---some bales weigh 75 pounds some way 120 pounds. There is no standard of measurment for a "rack" of ribs---so I stay out of trouble. I can divide the number of racks of ribs in a case into the price of the case and average the price that each rack costs me. I price the ribs according to what I paid for them.

One probelm with that method is you usually end up a few real heavy and real light slabs in a case. Customers get a gift with the heavies and screwed with the lights. Since most of us don't like gipping our customers, we usually sell the lights at a discount and let the heavies slide. Bottom line you end up with lower revenue per case than projected. I add $5 for the heavies and discount $5 for the lights.

Garth57 10-14-2009 11:24 AM

I'm selling my St. Louis cut racks for $14 a rack, so I don't think anyone is getting slighted. I guess if customers saw differant racks to compare, it might alter their perception of a good deal though.

Chuckwagonbbqco 10-14-2009 11:41 AM

Sounds like a good deal to me. Are you trimming spares into St Louis Cut and selling the tips also? $14.00 seems very inexpensive especially if you are buying them at St Louis Cut prices. Good luck and keep up the good work.

Bbq Bubba 10-14-2009 11:45 AM

Don't be giving your food away bro. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garth57 (Post 1055498)
I'm selling my St. Louis cut racks for $14 a rack, so I don't think anyone is getting slighted. I guess if customers saw differant racks to compare, it might alter their perception of a good deal though.

big brother smoke 10-14-2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba (Post 1055525)
Don't be giving your food away bro. :)

Especially in the golden state!

jbrink01 10-14-2009 01:12 PM

I trim my ribs down to St. Louis and sell for $16. I cook the tips I trim off and chop onto a sandwich for $5.00. You need about 1.5 slabs worth of tips to make a nice sandwich, but im stil getting $19 a slab average.

Jerk Pit Master 10-14-2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garth57 (Post 1055498)

Definitely alter their perception. Plus, in the case of Farmers' Market vending you are dealing with repeat customers.

I sell my slabs of baby backs for $25. Smalls are $20 (sometimes $18 if they are real small); heavies are $30.

BBQ_MAFIA 10-14-2009 05:05 PM

Congrats on a great first day.

Bbq Bubba 10-14-2009 05:39 PM

I believe its time for some pics bro! :shock: :biggrin:

scottyd 10-22-2009 04:13 PM

Yes lets see some prices.

Garth57 10-22-2009 10:09 PM

I'll try to take some pics this weekend of the booth and some pron. Thanks for the support and input

Marsha 10-23-2009 12:20 AM

If we are at a vending event and end up with extra ribs towards the end of a weekend we sell them for $25 per rack, $13 for half a rack. Most of the time these are events where people are spending a lot of money anyway.

Garth57 10-23-2009 12:33 AM

Might raise my prices on the ribs a couple of bucks. I usually only make 8 racks and sell at least 7. Selling rib plates as well, 3 bones/$5.