The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Oakridge BBQ rub advice. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123110)

silverfinger 12-29-2011 01:31 PM

Oakridge BBQ rub advice.

Hi Brethren,
I am going to be getting 1 pound of the Oakridge BBQ rub from Kcmike. :becky:
Any recommendations on what I should choose ?

Thanks for all advice in advance!

deguerre 12-29-2011 01:34 PM

If you can only choose one, and If you cook/grill a lot of beef like Redhot and I do, I'd go for the Santa Maria.

Groundhog66 12-29-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deguerre (Post 1895911)
If you can only choose one, and If you cook/grill a lot of beef like Redhot and I do, I'd go for the Santa Maria.

Great suggestion, it's also great on chicken. I have also heard great things about his Secret Weapon. Another option would be to get the sample pack first, then make an educated choice.

southernstyle 12-29-2011 01:54 PM

i got the beef and pork, and its awesome. i think the secret weapon is next

halfasian 12-29-2011 01:57 PM

I've got a pound each of the Santa Maria and the Habanero Death Dust. Both are absolutely amazing!

old dog 12-29-2011 02:11 PM

rub

I got the secret weapon and realy like it.

boogiesnap 12-29-2011 02:11 PM

depends what you're looking for.

for "BBQ" i'd go straight to secret weapon. i.e, ribs, butts, chicken, or even brisket.

like others said, if you're looking for a specialty type rub, try santa maria or death dust.

the beef and pork rub is good and similar to secret weapon, but SW has noticeably extra spark to it.

silverfinger 12-29-2011 02:14 PM

I do cook allot of steaks (rib-eye) and pork ribs so I think it's going to be between the Santa Maria Steak Seasoning and Competition Beef & Pork Rub. I would love to try the Secret Weapon Pork & Chicken Rub but I do Q more beef and pork then I do chicken.

Anyone have a favorite between the two ? Santa Maria Steak Seasoning and Competition Beef & Pork Rub.

boogiesnap 12-29-2011 02:16 PM

put salt and pepper on your ribeyes and get the secret weapon for your pork.

or try one, then when you run out try the other, pick your own fave. :cool:

silverfinger 12-29-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogiesnap (Post 1895954)
SW has noticeably extra spark to it.

When you say extra spark do you mean spicy ?

che22879 12-29-2011 02:20 PM

I'm on my third 1 3/4 pound bag of beef and pork comp rub. Its amazing! Goes great on spares and chuckies. Death dust is killer too.

boogiesnap 12-29-2011 02:21 PM

naw, not particularly. i mean depth, complexity, and sharpness to the flavor profile.

don't get me wrong, comp beef and pork is quite good, it's just that secret weapon "goes to eleven" let's say.

JS-TX 12-29-2011 02:29 PM

The Comp. beef and pork is really good on brisket. It makes a great bark on it. But all of them are pretty good.

silverfinger 12-29-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogiesnap (Post 1895959)
put salt and pepper on your ribeyes and get the secret weapon for your pork.

or try one, then when you run out try the other, pick your own fave. :cool:

I have been making my rubs at home for my steak and ribs and have been very happy with them.

I might be better off with the secret weapon.
Maybe i should pick from a hat. :crazy:

silverfinger 12-29-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halfasian (Post 1895942)
I've got a pound each of the Santa Maria and the Habanero Death Dust. Both are absolutely amazing!

I love the Limited Edition Habanero Death Dust. I have been using that on all kinds of things so Im excited about trying another rub from kcmike!