The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Cooking Class cancersuckschicago.com 2nd Annual Cooking class/fundraiser (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96466)

Scottie 12-02-2010 10:17 AM

cancersuckschicago.com 2nd Annual Cooking class/fundraiser

Looks like we will be having our 2nd Annual cancersuckschicago.com competition cooking class/fundraiser on February 4-5th, 2011. This class will be in Westmont, IL and will cover all aspects, techniques and flavors for a successful and award winning BBQ. This year from our February class, we were able to raise over $13,000 for cancer research. :clap2: Many of our students went on to win multiple Grand Championships and Reserve Grand Championships from the contests that they competed this year. If they want to speak up about the class, I'll let them do that.

The class will be on a KCBS timeline. We will once again have a very special guest instructor this year. The 2010 KCBS TOY and the 2010 Jack Daniel's World Champion, Mike and Beth Wozniak of QUAU. I do not have the Applications done yet, but mark your calendars and I will have the apps ready by next week. I'll also post something here and on my Facebook page. (My website is under construction) I just need to iron out a few minor details and the application will be complete.

We will have special rates at a local hotel and will also provide dinner and breakfast at the class. We will also provide a goody bag that is filled with products from sponsors, BBQ companies and from my BBQ team.

So mark your calendar for those dates! The class will have limited seating and I am figuring we will fill the hall this year with students. By the interest so far, we are already over 10 students signed up, so I would get your reservations in as soon as possible.

A portion (last year it was $250) of the class fee will be a tax deductible donation to our foundation for the students. Our foundation, in memory of my wife Corliss, raises money for cancer research and to assist those that are effected by cancer. All monies raised will be for the benefit of the foundation. So I want to thank Mike and Beth for their donation of time and expertise.

Hope to see you there!

Cancer Sucks!

Scottie
cancersuckschicago.com

ps We have nicknamed the class Jacks are better!!! :thumb:

Also if any companies want to donate product for the goody bags and get some good advertising, contact me.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=96367

4 smokin butts 12-02-2010 02:22 PM

cancer sucks

cindy and i took the class last year, enjoy it very much....i highly recommend this class.we gained alot of knowalge and ways to tweek our own metheds. besides this is a great cause to be part of. dennis

monty3777 12-02-2010 02:31 PM

I took this class last year and loved it. Both Scottie and Mike are great teachers and it was an honor to attend. Though I won't go into specifics the things I learned at this class helped me finally get a 1st in a category (chicken in Shannon, IL). I'm not the best cook in the world, but I don't suck anymore :)

If the schedule works I'll be bring my wife with me this year!

I should also say that this class helped me finally decide to get an FEC 100 stickburner (really small sticks). If you have an idea that you'd like to get an FEC but need to see one in action, and you are also planning on taking a class this would be a great one to take.

Bones 12-02-2010 03:56 PM

I took this class last year and learned alot. If you are looking for a start to finish class this is the one to take. It covers everything, prep,woods, timing, temps, brands of meat, spice, sauce and boxing. If you are experienced at competitions it will help you tweak what you are currently doing. The whole CSC team was at the class along with Mike and Beth.

I have had calls at comps but never 1st place. This year I received my first 1st place call. It was in Ribs at Shannon IL. I can not remember my score exacly but it was a 177 or 178. That is as close to a 180 as i have ever been.
So now you know that 1st places in chicken and ribs at Shannon came out of Scotties class. I know many others received calls at Shannon as well. Maybe they will post something.

Not sure about breakfast and lunch for 2011 but last year in was catered by Uncle Bubs and was great.(dont shoot me for this Scottie)

All in all this is a great class and I highly reccomend it.

Chris McCluskey
Bartlett Boneheads

Scottie 12-02-2010 04:28 PM

Wow... well Thanks for the kind words guys. Sure do make a guy blush. When going in to these things you always winder if knowledge will be gained. I am the happiest Guy at a contest when a graduate beats my ass... and it happens a lot!!! ;)

Yes Chris, Uncle Bubs will be catering the dinner and breakfast again.

The emails and PM's sure do humble a feller. I appreciate the interest and kind words.

I don't do this for any monetary gain, I do it for the love that I have for my wife and not wanting anyone else to have to go through the heartaches that my daughters and me have had to go through.

Cancer Sucks!

Just Pulin' Pork 12-02-2010 04:30 PM

Any idea how much it will cost for the class?

Rich Parker 12-02-2010 06:22 PM

I took the CSC class before the start of my rookie season. The material i learned there helped me get 4 top ten overalls out of 6 comps including a RGC. I didn't go to Shannon, so i didn't win any individual categories this year but got a couple of 2nds and multiple top tens.

I was so very proud to be apart of a class that raised $13k for the Corliss Johnson memorial fund.

trohrs123 12-02-2010 09:00 PM

Scottie
Just wanted to let you know how much I learned from your class earlier this year. We had no RGC calls last year and this year we had 3!!! We also took 1st place Ribs and 3rd place brisket at the Safeway BBQ bash in Washington DC with... some pretty stiff competition...as you know, you were there!! We also took RGC at Wildwood NJ and won the Kingsford Challenge $1000.00 giant check. Highly recommend your class to those that want to step up their game.
Tim Rohrs
T'N'T Dynamite BBQ Team

Smokin Mike 12-03-2010 04:44 PM

Please keep us updated, I would love to go to your guy's class. I would be happy to donate extra just for the cancer fundraiser.

Thanks Scottie!

Q-Stream 12-03-2010 05:01 PM

Great Class

I took Scottie's class earlier this year and can't say enough good things about it. Even though I'm not currently competing, I was lined up to cook with a team at Rockin' Ribs and wanted to learn as much as I could about how to do things right.

I was not sure how well a CBJ would be received at a comp cooking class, but Scottie and Mike couldn't have been nicer. They covered just about everything from A to Z and answered everybody's questions completely (and patiently).

I learned more about trimming and prepping all the comp meats in this class than I had in all the youtube videos put together (more than I can count). I was glad I brought a big pad of paper with me, because I filled up way more pages of notes than I expected to.

The price for the class is well worth it, expecially considering how much of the cost goes to the foundation for cancer research. If any CBJ's or part time cooks want to vastly improve their own smoking skills, gain a greater appreciation for all the effort and skill that go into competing, and feel comfortable in the class, this is the one to go to.

The food was great, the information presented was fantastic, the class was a lot of fun, what more could you ask for?

Laird

ABS Pit Boss, BWS Patio, Hasty Bake, Master CBJ, Certified Table Captain

slowerlowerbbq 12-03-2010 10:14 PM

MIght just have to make the drive out for this one. And for such a great cause!

quarters69 12-04-2010 07:46 AM

Scottie, we plan on coming, when do you think your apps will be ready? What is your limit on people? Keith / EAT MOR BUTT BBQ :thumb:

swamprb 12-04-2010 12:12 PM

How far from Chicago is this? Do I PM you for the info, or is there a link?

Scottie 12-04-2010 01:09 PM

We're about 25 miles from downtown. About 20-25 minutes from both airports. Just waiting on one more confirmation and we're good to go. Got a nice hook up at the hotel we stayed last year, so there is a nice group rate for rooms and suites.

Thanks for the PM's and all the interest. Will have the application for folks this week. After my attorneys look at it... ;)

Scottie 12-06-2010 04:46 PM

Sorry for the delay on getting the applications out. I am just waiting on the Park District contract to come back. I'd hate to announce and then I don't have the hall. They promise me that I will have it by Wednesday the latest. Thanks everyone.

Scottie