Asphalt Screws for Canopy

BigBarry

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Any suggestions on what kind of screws to use to secure an EZ-up or carport to a parking lot?

I know certain grades have no strength laterally (snapping point).

Thanks in advance!

Greg

I'm thinking Red Heads.
dyna_cutaway.jpg

You can screw a eye to the top of them.

http://www.itw-redhead.com/dynabolt_prod02.asp
If you are going into asphalt you will want something with a larger spread but these should give you an ideal of your options. Tarmac /asphalt crumbles easy the older it is. Are you looking for a long term or temporary fixture?

If you Don't want a bolt sticking up when you take the unit down then look at wedge anchors that you actually screw the eye bolt into.
drop%20in%20anchor.jpg

Thanks but it's temp for comps. I don't want to mess up the lot with perm stuff.

Then the second photo will do exactly what you need. You can buy a tube of DAP blacktop repair to fill the holes with being they are flush with the ground. Although being asphalt you can just hammer the first ones all the way in and then use a filler.

Wouldn't you need permission to go drilling into the asphalt though?

Blacktop Repair

5.5oz blacktop repair A sanded acrylic formula that fills and seals cracks in blacktop surfaces Color and texture blends with the surrounding blacktop Weather-resistant formula remains flexible and adheres to both asphalt and concrete Used to fill 1/4 to 1/2 wide cracks in asphalt driveways 5.5 oz. tube Brand #: Quikrete 8630-05 UPC: 039645863015 Keywords: blacktop repair driveway asphalt flexible weather resist patch tube

Not sure I have a real answer. Are you going into asphalt or concrete? Not sure how you are loading these either (pulling or lateral)...

The expansion anchor shown (Redheads) are for concrete and could take lateral load. I don't think they would work well in asphalt.

If you are going into asphalt, who's is it? I don't know many people who would let you put a hole in their pavement. I also am not familar with anchors into asphalt. (Sorry, I deal with concrete). I have seen some large screw anchors (soil anchors?). They look like those screw anchors for dog chains. Maybe?

That probably doesn't help much.

Oh, we were writing at the same time...I would use buckets filled with water or concrete for hold down. You just tie them to your canopy. I think you would have people freaking out if put any holes in the pavement at a comp. At least around here..I have heard specifically not to.

You may have to go with the traditional leg weights.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oh, we were writing at the same time...I would use buckets filled with water or concrete for hold down. You just tie them to your canopy. I think you would have people freaking out if put any holes in the pavement at a comp. At least around here..I have heard specifically not to.
lol Now I did the same as you.

For asphalt we use 3 1/2" wood nails. Just hammer them in 3/4 of the way then bend the remaining over to the ground. When removed you cant tell they were there. 4 nails takes up alot less room in the trailer that 4 buckets. This has worked well for us in the past.

the redheads are for solid concrete....

Most places will NOT allow you to make holes in asphalt. Once a hole is there, it goes to pieces rapidly.... I would use the buckets with water. Stack the buckets, and then fill with water when you get there. Use the buckets if you need to just to carry stuff in if you don't want to stack them and "take" up room.

5 gallon pails filled with water and rachet straps is what works well.
Put covers on your buckets to keep folks from pitching cigarette butts into the water.

Tapcon screw are what some folks use but not me.

just buy the ez-up sandbag weights and fill them with sand...they are 40 pounds each when filled...the canopy wont budge!!!!

we use drywall screws, works great and no marks when done. we use them the same spot all summer long every Wednesday

We use these. You can screw them in with a regular cordless drill, and when you remove them, they don't leave any marks.

GrabberScrew.jpg

I would imagine the host would get pretty pissed off if they saw someone with a cordless drill drilling out holes to install redheads...:shocked: Why not use sandbags or buckets/PVC tubes filled with concrete?

I know I would get pissed if someone drilled into my asphalt...that's taking liberties without permission...not cool! Use the weights...

I've seen small concrete castings (about half a Spackle bucket) with a piece of all-thread sticking out about 3". They just positioned the leg on it and wing nut it. (I think it was Big Ugly BBQ)

I do not understand the people thinking it's just few holes, no one will know. As said it starts the decline of the surface. Most places I've been say you make holes, you leave. Anyway why anger the people that might hand money to you? What has worked best for me besides water is square pvc drain tubing filled with concrete and eyehook inserted. Pick size and weight to your needs. It's quick, effective and easy. Saves time setting up not having to drag as much water around. Steve.

Back