• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Introducing Proposed Rule Changes

S

SmokeInDaEye

How do I submit a rule change for consideration?

I want to ban contest reps from standing in front of the turn-in table during turn-in times as it can impede one's ability to get to the table as time is running out. Standing to the left or right of the table is fine but blocking the front creates a barrier.

Seriously?

Dead serious. A representative of a contest should not in any way, shape or form impede a cooks ability to turn in their food in a timely manner. No one wants to have to turn in a box as time is winding down but some times things happen and it is unavoidable.

If you don't have direct access to the table in front of you or sight of the clock as time is winding down then that's an unfair barrier in my mind.

Couldn't you just ask them to move?:confused:

I've competed in KCBS contests for over 5 yrs, have done close to 100 contests and have never had an issue with access to the turn-in table.

Does there really need to be a rule for this? Does this happen often at the contests you do, or did it happen once?

If it happens once it happens too often. Me and the other teams behind me said move, went around the individual and got to the table a second too late. The more frustrating part is that instead of recognizing that blocking the only access to the table was an issue and simply apologize (I recognize that I was cutting it very close after replacing a broken box), the individual create a full out fake story about not being where everyone saw him to be.

If you are going to be an official rep of a contest, you should have the best interests of the teams as a top priority, not socializing in front of the turn-in table with 5, 4, 3 seconds left on a clock. That's just my opinion and this individual is not welcome near me ever, rule change or not.

It sounds like you have have an issue with a specific Rep. IMO, the way to deal with that is first take it up with the Rep directly, and if that fails go up the chain of command to the KCBS office or BoD. This is not the sort of thing that needs to be added to the rules - perhaps a Rep advisory at the most if it is happening with more than one Rep.

If you were already in line then the time doesnt matter, I would think if the rep was in front of the table and you were walking up that tells me that the time had expired... Can you please provide more details ?

If you were already in line then the time doesnt matter, I would think if the rep was in front of the table and you were walking up that tells me that the time had expired... Can you please provide more details ?

The rep was in the small opening to the little porch where the table is located, chatting with some guy while telling me and the other teams to hurry up (an obvious statement since my site is three steps from turn-ins and I looked at my clock (12:34:49) as I raced past it to take those three steps).

I said "I know, move" or something similar. He didn't move, so I squeezed around him and pivoted left to where the table and doorway where and set down the box while watching the clock which was still face up. I stepped out of the way so the other teams could get past me and the guy.

I stood there for a minute while the table lady looked to the rep as to what to do and he said, "sorry, the boxes weren't down in time" and I turned to the lady and said, "because we couldn't get to the table through him" and he wouldn't make eye contact. I left, kicked something, took a shot, then went back and asked to file a formal complaint. They brought the rep back out who claimed he had been standing off to the side of the table watching the clock and that we were 4 seconds late. Really? He could see the clock through the back of his head while standing in my way? And that lie really enraged me so I glared at him from my site the rest of the contest.

Again, should I have given myself more time and avoided the whole issue? Ideally but my box cracked and I had to build a new one but for me not to be able to get three steps in 10 seconds is ridiculous. In my mind we were basically lined up as time was expiring waiting for access to the table but there attitude was that I should have knocked a rep and fellow competitors down like I was fighting linebackers to score a touchdown.

Wow!! I would definitely follow up with KCBS BOD on this one. I am sorry to hear this SIDE.

Yeah, I've nearly knocked down the turnin table while running to fast, jumped over a little kid while keeping my box upright and literally ran out of my pants while doing turn-ins but I refuse to knock women and an older man over to hit the table.

The issue here isn't where he/she was standing but rather that they were socializing during turn in time. Right there that goes against what he/she is charged to do in his/her duties. By not giving his/her undivided attention to the turn in at hand they could very well have caused the problem. Thats a legitimate complaint.

Did you submit a contest critique? If so or if the Rep added it to their report then it is already in the hands of the BOD or will be at the next meeting. If you haven't done a critique go to the KCBS site, download it, fill out and email to the entire BOD for consideration. Do it NOW! Tell your side. Ask others who saw this to do the same.

Did you submit a contest critique? If so or if the Rep added it to their report then it is already in the hands of the BOD or will be at the next meeting. If you haven't done a critique go to the KCBS site, download it, fill out and email to the entire BOD for consideration. Do it NOW! Tell your side. Ask others who saw this to do the same.

Didn't even know the form existed! I'll do it tonight and will reach out to the other teams who were DQ'd. There were public witnesses as well.

Please get this out of your system before you sit down at the judges table this weekend at Tanger. We don't need an angry SIDE as a judge. :mad:

Didn't even know the form existed!

Well, that's a problem right there. Assuming you are attending the cook's meetings, the critique form should be offered at every contest if it is not already included in the cook's packet.

Sounds like you may have some legitimate issues with a Rep up your way, but again, this sounds like a personnel issue, not a rules issue for KCBS.

sounds like a personnel issue, not a rules issue for KCBS.

why shouldn't it be a rules issue? clear access should be of prime importance when there is a designated turn area and a clock ticking down. i think the rep's job should be to inforce this and to make SURE that area is clear.

why shouldn't it be a rules issue? clear access should be of prime importance when there is a designated turn area and a clock ticking down. i think the rep's job should be to inforce this and to make SURE that area is clear.

I wasn't there, so I'm passing no judgement on what did or didn't happen.

That being said, I don't see this being a issue to be solved by passing a rule. After the BoD or members of the Rep committee gather info a Rep advisory may be in order. Some action regarding the rep in question might be the solution. Maybe the evidence/info will dictate nothing should be done. This is not a rules issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not a rules issue for a couple of reasons...1)There's no need for a rule to cover something that happens once in a blue moon...2)We have a board that, currently, cannot even agree on what day of the week it is. To even fathom that they would agree on a rule that pertains to Rep conduct at a contest, let alone where that particular Rep happens to be standing in relation to the turn-in area, is absolutely ludicrous.

There's a 9:59 window to get your stuff turned in, use it.

Fill out a critique, air your gripe, and move on.:thumb:

Back