Reheat Brisket

Smoked Ham

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am cooking a brisket for some family that lives in Minnesota, I live in Chicago so I need to smoke it then Freeze it for a few days before.

My plan is to smoke as I normally do, slice, then save all slices and juice in a food saver bag and freeze.

Defrost the brisket when we get there, then boil in the foodsaver bag.

My question is, how long do I need to heat it in the foodsaver bag?

I've frozen a lot of briskets for reheating later on. Trust me they come out better if you leave them whole. I have a full set of instructions I send along with the brisket here are some snips you might find helpful. I also include photos on how to slice against the grain, but you already know about that.....

PREPARATION FOR FREEZING – Following smoking your brisket was wrapped in a triple layer of foil (with the fat cap up) and several ounces of the brisket mop was added to the pouch before sealing. Then it was rested for a couple of hours in an insulated cooler. This sort of winds down the cooking process. Following this, the entire foil pouch was placed in the freezer.

THAWING – Big pieces of meat reheat better than slices. Here is the plan I think will work best for you. First it will need a long slow thaw in the refrigerator. I took yours out of the freezer late Monday night and placed it the fridge. On Thursday the internal temperature was 31°. This should help you plan ahead for your cooking day.

REHEATING – Remove the brisket from the foil pouch and place it fat cap up in an aluminum roasting pan. Take any of the beef jelly that is in the foil and add that under the brisket in the pan. You also need to add several ounces of the brisket mop I sent along to the pan before the reheat. Be sure to warm it up in the microwave before adding it to the pan. With the fat cap up, the meat side will be resting in some juices which will help to keep it moist. Cover the pan with foil. Set the oven temp to 250°. I’m thinking it will take 1-1/2 to 2 hours total for the reheat. After heating for 1 hour, open the foil and check the internal temperature in a couple of locations. Have more heated mop ready and add some if needed, then reseal the foil cover. (If you are careful, you could turn it over in the pan at the 1 hour mark. I’ll leave this decision up to you) Monitor the internal temp of the meat during the rest of the reheat…..you are shooting for 140°-150° internal temperature. Don’t go much higher or you will risk driving some of the moisture out. Now it should be ready to slice. (About the only other option you could have would be to remove the foil and use the broiler to crisp up the fat side a little. Be VERY careful so you don’t burn it. I’ll leave this decision up to you)

Be sure and save the pan juices, they can be added to the BBQ sauce or served by themselves as a second table sauce. Some can be mixed into another sauce to give you three options for table sauces.

SLICING – You need to plan on slicing right before serving. Brisket will dry out really fast after it is sliced. I would get a volunteer to man the cutting board and slice to order when people move through the serving line. Have the meat at the end of the serving line if possible. Also, slicing is critical to do in the right direction, which is against the grain.

If the first direction of slicing is not correct, just rotate the brisket and take another test slice. When you put it on the cutting board, put the fat cap down. Start with slices 1/4” thick, if they are a little tough slice them thinner. If they fall apart, slice a little thicker.

agree with thirdeye's comments, thats the best way. But if this is a small family dinner. We'll short cook them to about 190, slice and place in open zip lock bags in a cooler or fridge. Remove air and seal after the meat has cooled. Then use a crock pot or roaster with a liittle liquid in the bottom to reheat and serve.

i agree with Thirdeye but would like to add in my own special way that people that slice then freeze are more akin to Richard Simmons while those that freeze whole are more like John Wayne.

So... slice if you want and have your family call you limp and impotent...

They will be the only ones that can love you after such a faux pas

i agree with Thirdeye but would like to add in my own special way that people that slice then freeze are more akin to Richard Simmons while those that freeze whole are more like John Wayne.

Well this is why I am asking, I usually smoke it and eat it.

The family members house I am going doesn't have a microwave so i can use a pot to heat the mop.

I just thought slicing and heating in the foodsaver bag food be fine but no one seems to have an opinion on that.

Reheating sliced brisket in foodsaver bags is the best way to reheat sliced brisket. That said, I think it is even better when kept whole, but that is not always an option. If slicing and freezing in foodsaver bags makes the most sense, then you will not find a better option for pre-sliced. Brisket does suffer a lot from fresh to any other form. The more changes it goes through to get to that other form, the more suffering (if that makes sense).

Now Richard Simmons I have never been compaired to. :-D

I am smoking it now and will be serving it Saturday, do I need to freeze it tonight or will it be ok to seal it up in foodsaver and just refrigerate?

I would take the smoker or see if someone has a grill or something you could use there. Something about fresh cooked meat that really makes a difference...

I would take the smoker or see if someone has a grill or something you could use there. Something about fresh cooked meat that really makes a difference...

You did read that I am smoking it now, right???

Taking the smoker is not an option, its way to far and too late. I think I'll take my chances, I smoke a mean brisket.

Back