The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Four Nipples vs One Big Hole (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40622)

darthtrader 04-09-2008 12:09 PM

UDS: Four Nipples vs One Big Hole

Hello Brethren!

I'm planning to build my UDS this weekend (finally) and would like some UDS veteran builder advice. In your opinion, which has better and more even air flow: four holes with nipples or one big three or so inch hole with a vertical intake pipe?

Stan41 04-09-2008 01:28 PM

I'm certainly no expert, but when I built mine I used 4 holes with nipples. I think there is more control of the air flow this way.
Stan

bruskee 04-09-2008 01:32 PM

Best thread title in history.!

Dr_KY 04-09-2008 01:45 PM

I read the title and thought this was going to be a Woodpile thread.

The jury is still out on what works 'best' for a UDS so IMHO I would say start simple and go from there. I started with two 3/4 intakes and one 2'' exhaust and I burn just fine and have plenty of control.

Remember the wonderful thing about a UDS is it's simplicity.

darthtrader 04-09-2008 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_KY (Post 609677)

LOL! Maybe I should put UDS in the title then.

Dr_KY 04-09-2008 01:51 PM

Not a bad idea ( I would have and did go with the hole though) :)

darthtrader 04-09-2008 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_KY (Post 609681)
Not a bad idea ( I would have and did go with the hole though) :)

How's temperature control going for you, Dr? Any hot spot problems?

Dr_KY 04-09-2008 02:05 PM

Nah.. my meats usually so big all I have to do is rotate it but that's just an old habbit. Others may have differant items on at the same time but i'm not there yet.

The temps are very stable running one 3/4 open and one 3/4 ball valve about half way. I can see trying to keep temps under controll using omre that two inlets being a problem simply due to the burning of the fuel but I haven't ever run anything on the sort.

drbbq 04-09-2008 10:50 PM

I thought this was a poll.

Divemaster 04-09-2008 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_KY (Post 609677)

This is not what I expected when I read the title!!!!

Don't own one but you sure suckered me in!!

Barbarian 04-09-2008 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruskee (Post 609666)

Almost fell out of my chair onto the floor at that response.

Now 10 minutes later I have to say that I used the 4 intake 1" nipple route. I think it could be hard to control with only one intake but maybe someone needs to give it a go and let us know how it works.

Kevin Garceau 04-09-2008 11:14 PM

I see alot of ball valves..... do some put ball valves on all 3 or 4 holes? Does that get a bit complicated? Or open a few holes and put valves in half? One?

Puppyboy 04-09-2008 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruskee (Post 609666)

Not woodpile, not woodpile, not woodpile, & kinda dissapointed. :lol:

OSD 04-10-2008 07:02 AM

I only have one intake, it's 2" and one exhaust, 3". I read the UDS thread a couple times and other threads on here and decided to just try the one intake. I kept reading about people putting in 3-4 intakes for better air control and burns because the air could get in from different directions. But then in the next statement alot of them are saying that when they are up to temp and cruising along that they only have one valve open or 2 valves partly open. so I just did the one intake and it's doing fine. JMHO:grin:

Dr_KY 04-10-2008 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSD (Post 610294)
I only have one intake, it's 2" and one exhaust, 3". I read the UDS thread a couple times and other threads on here and decided to just try the one intake. I kept reading about people putting in 3-4 intakes for better air control and burns because the air could get in from different directions. But then in the next statement alot of them are saying that when they are up to temp and cruising along that they only have one valve open or 2 valves partly open. so I just did the one intake and it's doing fine. JMHO:grin:

BINGO!!