Most cows are said to be right handed.......

BBQSamYesIam

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
It is projected that about 75% of cows are "right-handed", meaning that they get up from a laying position using their right leg. This supposedly causes the right brisket to be more muscular, and hence, less tender. I've been told that most competition teams always try to get the left brisket for cooking. At the risk of causing a world-wide shortage and price hike of left briskets, I must ask.....how does one determine the left brisket from the right?

I can honestly say... I have never considered this. Interesting!

I have had 2 butchers laugh at me when asking about this so although I thought it was a good idea in theory aparently my butchers tell me its a urban legend...

So, just for the sake of playing along...

How the fark do you tell a right handed brisket from a left handed brisket?

And what would happen if if Tasterner were to cook a left handed brisket on his right handed Weber? I'm sure there's some kind of BBQ Vortex or something that happens...

I wonder why I can make a stiff ass select brisket as tender as some yahoo's choice then.

25% of the time you'll be wrong anyway - the butcher cant possibly know the "handedness" even if he were to know the side of the beef that the brisket came from. I can't speak to the creation of a vortex, but it sounds cool enough to try.

One day I am going to get two Briskets from the same animal, and cook them in the same pit, at the same time, at the same temp, for the same amount of time, with the same seasoning, in the same spot on the grate. And then I will post the results, and once and for all this will be settled.

For the record I am of neither opinion, I just know that a lot of people are very quick to dismiss the idea as hogwash without the data that one would need to make this assumption. I'm not saying that there is a difference, in fact I doubt that there is. I just want to know.

One day I am going to get two Briskets from the same animal, and cook them in the same pit, at the same time, at the same temp, for the same amount of time, with the same seasoning, in the same spot on the grate. And then I will post the results, and once and for all this will be settled.

For the record I am of neither opinion, I just know that a lot of people are very quick to dismiss the idea as hogwash without the data that one would need to make this assumption. I'm not saying that there is a difference, in fact I doubt that there is. I just want to know.

And if you did just that would it really prove anything? I think not. You'd have to do 100s if not 1,000s of briskets pairs to have data that would prove anything.

In the mean I'm I'm going with the hogwash theory because I like my pigs clean...

If a left handed cow was ground and formed into meatballs, while a right handed pig's belly was cured into bacon - would the MOINK ball be more tender and of a more well balanced flavor?

wellllll, i guess no one has been to a dairy or looked at range cattle. all myths, just don't tell the cows !

hey everybody just pass around a lefthanded beer,ambidextrious shot of righthanded poured lefthanded whiskey, then once everyone is settled in we can have a serious discussion....:shock: Just unloaded a lefthanded rick of pecan today and stacked it right handed:laugh:....LOL

Back