The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Best Smoker for 2nd Floor Condo Unit? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101866)

ksblues 03-05-2011 01:37 PM

Best Smoker for 2nd Floor Condo Unit?

We live on the 2nd floor of a 2 story condo unit. We do have a screened in balcony that faces a very large lawn area with lake.

Currently, we grill on a Charbroil gas model, but I want to move to a smoker/grill. Can anyone provide guidance as to which models out there, if any, are condo friendly? Key concern is not wanting to smoke out the neighbors too badly!

(Please assume we can go with either charcoal, electric, or gas).

Thanks.

btcg 03-05-2011 01:49 PM

Charcoal on a 2nd floor condo?

Better check with your association. Buying a unit you're prohibited from using doesn't sound like a good plan.

My Bradley electric is nice. That would work.

rolfejr 03-05-2011 02:15 PM

A condo owner just down the road from my home used a grill on his third floor balcony. Embers blew up into the eaves and the next thing you know his third floor balcony was a first floor pile of smoking rubble along with everyone below.

Electric is the only safe solution.

42BBQ 03-05-2011 02:30 PM

I think some old time UDS users would beg to differ. As stated in the original post, assume that charcoal is an option...I say UDS. Just look at the beginning of the Ugly Drum Smoker thread. More than a few balcony condo users on there. I just saw an old vid posted by none other than Bigmista the other day of him using a UDS on a condo balcony cooking up a glorious looking butt. Follow what your association says and take common sense steps towards fire prevention (like have a fire extinguisher available) and you should be able to rock a drum. Just my .02...

blackdog043 03-05-2011 03:20 PM

UDS or WSM IF you are aloud to use charcoal. Your going to get some good smoke no matter what you use, when you start it up. After 30 - 60 minutes it should not be as smokey.

Dubs 03-05-2011 03:54 PM

The Weber Smokey Mountain is a great balcony sized smoker. I have it fired up right now.

capnrob97 03-05-2011 05:23 PM

You could try the electric Mini Chief or Little Chief to add smoke to the food, and finish the cook in the oven.

Sammy_Shuford 03-05-2011 05:31 PM

I will second the bradley electric. From a safety point, no different then a showtime set and forget or a toaster oven.

And a fire in a Bradley is self contained, and will go out on it's own. (leave the door closed!)

bmanMA 03-05-2011 05:35 PM

Bradley, FEC if you can swing it. I dont think charcoal is a great idea. A Darwin award is just itching to pay you a visit if you go coal.

AUradar 03-05-2011 06:03 PM

love my masterbuilt electric smoker.

caseydog 03-05-2011 07:03 PM

I would probably go with a high-quality electric smoker in your situation.

Your HOA probably has rules about grills and smokers, so make sure you know what those rules are.

In a condo situation, you need to have a heat source you can turn off with a knob or switch. And, you need to have a good fire extinguisher next to the smoker. You don't just have your own home to consider, but the homes of other people, so be extra safe.

Also, I would make sure your neighbors know what you are up to. If you get a smoker, make sure they know what you are getting, and that it is safe -- and that you will share!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

CD

Gore 03-05-2011 07:03 PM

I hear BGE has a new XXL size. :roll:

OakPit 03-05-2011 07:04 PM

I'd snag a BGE Medium and never look back.

boatnut 03-06-2011 08:38 AM

will you have enough air moving thru the screened balcony so that smoke won't build up? I'd go with good quality electric IMO.

GreenDrake 03-06-2011 08:48 AM

If you want to go classic with low emissions and outstanding smoke...Cookshack Smokette. I kick myself for ever selling mine, that thing was built for eternity.