The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   KCBS awards ceremony question (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92238)

ZILLA 09-13-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thillin (Post 1400440)
Down here since only the top 10 in each category gets points, it not as wide a margin as KCBS. But it bugs me as well. I usually have the trailer packed and ready to go after awards since I usually have to get up at 4:30 the next morning, but I stick around till the end. What's an extra 5 minutes?

In my area, It seems alot of cooks are tired of seeing the same cooks win. I actually try to improve techniques and flavor profiles to join them in the walks. Seems alot just want to keep cooking the same and moan about who's in the top 10.

Exactly! They don't realise that winning in BBQ is like shooting a moving target. I just wish that folks general politeness, which most have plenty of, would carry over to awards too. I gues it's just a bad habit.

thillin 09-13-2010 03:45 PM

Besides, around here if you hang around, you can get a chance of a taste of the winning boxes. Best way to help determine a flavor profile.

HawgNationBBQ 09-13-2010 03:51 PM

Can’t say I have seen too many teams in the mid-Atlantic leave the event prior to the awards.

ThomEmery 09-13-2010 04:01 PM

We have used the tabulation time (IBCA) to announce winners in another category
such as best booth (I know I know WTF is that, crowds love pink barns)
It helps those poor ADHD cooks who can't wait a few min. more
Walking the Top 5 overall really is a crowd favorite

lunchlady 09-14-2010 07:46 AM

Never at a KCBS comp, but I have seen this happen at BOTB, way back (heheh) in 05 and 06... That is slightly different though, because teams only cook 3 out of 4 categories. If they didnt happen to cook the last category, some picked up their chairs and left.
I have to admit though, it was a little strange.
But then again, they thought us Yanks were MORE than a little strange for yelling and cheering for anyone other than ourselves.

And I completely agree ... recognizing the Top 5 (or Top 10 if its a big enough contest) is a HUGE crowd favorite! Even if there isnt anything for it but hearing your name called from the stage.

Diva 09-14-2010 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottie (Post 1400262)
Leaving a contest before rewards shows no respect to the organizer or anyone else involved witht he contest. If you are that important or have that many things to do, that you have to run out from a contest, then don't go. It was done at Thom's contest and it was bullsh!t. that team should of planned his time better. Can't hang around for an extra 2 hours for awards? Too bad.

Pretty harsh. You NEVER know why people have to leave. We've left a contest right after the last turn in because a snowstorm was coming and we wanted to get home safely. We've left a contest after last turn in because I promised Brent I'd be home on Sunday to do something with him. We've never left DURING an awards ceremony. It's not a respect thing by any means, it could be something as simple as making a promise to your child and not wanting to let them down. Don't knock folks for leaving when you don't know their situation.:tsk:

dmprantz 09-14-2010 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottie (Post 1400262)
Leaving a contest before rewards shows no respect to the organizer or anyone else involved witht he contest.

You'll probably disagree with me on this, but some times the organizers deserve little to no respect. Recently I was at a competition where I was told I'd be allowed to leave right after awards on Saturday. When it came time to start to pack up shortly before awards, I was told I'd have to wait until 23:00 that night before I could leave. I walked out before awards and won't ever do that competition again. Ruined my schedule, and cost me money.

Another time I was at a Sat-Sun comp where a rep got sick and pushed back awards by over an hour, followed by an announcer who had no respect for those of us who were already late and had to leave and dragged the ceremony out anther hour longer than it should have been. I stayed for that one, but I was in line to get my score sheet after not getting any calls - I still had a 5+ hour drive home before work the next day. To make matters worst, they never printed my score sheet and couldn't figure out how to work the computer to reprint. I swore I wouldn't go back to that one, but fortunately it was the last year.

I think it's a two way street. Teams should show respect to organizers, reps, and other teams, but the organizers and reps should show respect and honesty to the teams as well. You get what you give. I think that if a team sticks around for the awards, they should stick around for all of the awards, barring unusual circumstances. I don't see teams get up to leave too often, but score sheet retrieval is not uncommon.

dmp

HawgNationBBQ 09-14-2010 11:44 AM

Personally I think it is disrespectful to leave early. “You buy the ticket, you take the ride”. However, it does go both ways. It is very frustrating to me and other teams when award ceremonies are delayed – for any reason. We plan our schedules accordingly and allow an extra hour for BS. I just don’t think you should leave in the middle of the award ceremonies. If you have to, stand way in the back so you don’t make a spectacle of yourself.

Candy Sue 09-14-2010 02:20 PM

OK -- I'm guilty in Vermillion. I got up before the GC was announced, but I was sitting right next to them (I seem to have a habit of sitting next to GC or RGC at awards). Big Congrats to PigDawg!!!

I had to drive 200 miles before dark, so I hightailed it out of there pretty quick. I did thank the organizer before the awards. Sometimes there are circumstances that mean you gotta split quick whether you want to or not.

Scottie 09-14-2010 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diva (Post 1401580)
Pretty harsh. You NEVER know why people have to leave. We've left a contest right after the last turn in because a snowstorm was coming and we wanted to get home safely. We've left a contest after last turn in because I promised Brent I'd be home on Sunday to do something with him. We've never left DURING an awards ceremony. It's not a respect thing by any means, it could be something as simple as making a promise to your child and not wanting to let them down. Don't knock folks for leaving when you don't know their situation.:tsk:

But if you know the reason for folks to be leaving early, I think you can knock them? So I am not really sure it is harsh? Now if you don't know the reason and you go slamming teams, that's not right.

To me, when a organizer calls a team and they aren't at awards, that is disrespectful to the contest and the organizer...

Diva 09-14-2010 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottie (Post 1401837)
To me, when a organizer calls a team and they aren't at awards, that is disrespectful to the contest and the organizer...

We'll agree to disagree??? :wink:

I don't find it disrespectful to leave, if I choose to do so, when WE paid to enter the contest, paid for the meat, paid for the travel, etc.

HawgNationBBQ 09-14-2010 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diva (Post 1401874)
We'll agree to disagree??? :wink:

I don't find it disrespectful to leave, if I choose to do so, when WE paid to enter the contest, paid for the meat, paid for the travel, etc.

Oh wait, is this the same team on BBQ Pit master that had the childish temper tantrum? Say no more.

MoKanMeathead 09-14-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawgsgonesmokin (Post 1401883)
Oh wait, is this the same team on BBQ Pit master that had the childish temper tantrum? Say no more.

Are you kidding me? Help me understand the value your comment had in this conversation?

Diva 09-14-2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawgsgonesmokin (Post 1401883)

Nice. Just to clarify, I was the one in the BACKGROUND.

Sure, it was on national television so you probably feel that you can judge me based on that, which is your prerogative, but, you don't KNOW me. I can't control the actions of others and I'm not going to defend myself over something that I didn't do.

ique 09-14-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottie (Post 1401837)
But if you know the reason for folks to be leaving early, I think you can knock them? So I am not really sure it is harsh? Now if you don't know the reason and you go slamming teams, that's not right.

Tough call. I left early from a contest this year to coach my kids little league game. A team-mate did stay for awards. I think its OK once in a great while if discussed with the contest organizer in advance and check in before you leave.