• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Mark's Hamburger Buns

M

Mark Warren

Ever had a Burger or Sandwich at a Great and Memorable place?

Do you really think it has nothing to do with the Bread?

What good is a pulled pork sandwich on a store bought bun? They are either soft but fall apart before you are done eating your sandwich, or hold up well like a Pub Bun but are dry as hell.

I am giving you the Best of both worlds. Both Soft and can hold up to any sandwich you make.

Mark’s Hamburger Buns -> makes 6 buns

Ingredients:
150 Grams Sourdough Starter [75 Grams Flour + 75 Grams Water]
425 Grams Bread Flour
255 Grams Lukewarm Milk - the higher the Fat the better
5 Grams. Instant Yeast - I use SAF Red Label
10 Grams Sugar
5 Grams Iodized Salt
40 Grams Fat - I use melted butter

Mix and kneed on medium speed for 8 to 10 minutes.
Cover with plastic wrap and set in warm area for 1 hour to rise.

Cut the dough into 6 even weight pieces and with the palm of your hand roll the dough pieces into balls with a circular motion on a Roul'Pat mat. Place them evenly on your baking sheet that has a Silpat baking mat or parchment paper, and with the palm of your hand smash them flat about an inch thick.
Put back in a warm area and let proof for another hour.

Cook Time and Temp:
Temperature will be 400 degrees F
6 Hamburger Buns = 14 minutes

150 Grams Sourdough Starter by Mark V Warren, on Flickr

425 Grams Bread Flour by Mark V Warren, on Flickr

40 Grams Fat (I use melted Butter) by Mark V Warren, on Flickr

255 Grams Very Lukewarm Milk by Mark V Warren, on Flickr

5 Grams Instant Yeast by Mark V Warren, on Flickr

10 Grams Sugar by Mark V Warren, on Flickr

5 Grams Iodized Salt by Mark V Warren, on Flickr

Mix Ingredients on lowest setting. by Mark V Warren, on Flickr

Kneed on Medium for 8 to 10 minutes by Mark V Warren, on Flickr

Cover with plastic wrap - 1 hour rise by Mark V Warren, on Flickr

After 1 Hour 1st Rise by Mark V Warren, on Flickr

Weigh your dough-ball 866 Grams here by Mark V Warren, on Flickr

144 Grams each x 6 = 866 Grams by Mark V Warren, on Flickr

Trim the weight off so you only have 1 scrap dough-ball at the end. by Mark V Warren, on Flickr

Roll in circular motion with palm of hand then smash flat. by Mark V Warren, on Flickr

Sheet up 1" thick rounds for Proofing 1 Hour by Mark V Warren, on Flickr

After 1 hour Proof slash tops and spray 10 minutes before baking @ 400 degrees F for 14 minutes. by Mark V Warren, on Flickr

Let cool on rack for an hour before slicing in two. by Mark V Warren, on Flickr

Nothing cuts Bread better than an electric knife. by Mark V Warren, on Flickr

:becky:

Even though I appreciate great bread, and really, I want a great bun for a burger, for pulled pork and brisket, I want the cheap white bun sometimes. It is more there to keep my fingers clean, than to contribute to the food.

That being said, thanks for the recipe. I bet those are terrific for a burger.

Thanks Mark. I am a failure at pre-launch when it comes to baking but my wife is a master. Guess I better start sweet talking her into trying this out. She will end up with a killer burger out of the deal complements of me so it will be a win-win for both of us.

Mark, those look excellent :) Have you ever tried an egg wash on the top? Sesame seeds (or other dry topping?)

Nice. It's always better home made. I did buy the Torta buns from Costco a couple weeks back and used one as a burger bun. I was suitably impressed. Unfortunately it was at the Costco in Spokane and the Costco's in Canada don't sell Torta buns.
:sad:

About $200 for the good stuff:icon_smile_tongue:

^^^ beat me to it! :laugh:

Thanks for the recipe!

Question on the starter......so if I mix the flour and water, then that's a starter just like that? OR do I need to let that sit for some time to "work"? I thought starters were leftovers from the previous batch or something and the bacteria is important? Or do I have that wrong?

Where's the MEAT?!? :wink:
I know - what was I thinking. :rolleyes:
What is a gram?
A gram is a more precise way of measuring weight that an ounce. There are 16 ounces in a pound but there are 454 Grams in a pound. So in Baking it is a very precise measurement used to replicate the same outcome every time.
Mark, those look excellent :) Have you ever tried an egg wash on the top? Sesame seeds (or other dry topping?)
Yes I have. I do egg wash when I want a more darker deep color, I aminly do this for dinner rolls. As for helping the topping stick to the Breads I bake I use the following spray and it works Very Well. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/quick-shine
Nice. It's always better home made. I did buy the Torta buns from Costco a couple weeks back and used one as a burger bun. I was suitably impressed. Unfortunately it was at the Costco in Spokane and the Costco's in Canada don't sell Torta buns.
:sad:
Torta is Sandwich and yes they are good a bit to large in size for hamburgers from my experience but good buns as well.

Thanks for everyone's nice comments

Question on the starter......so if I mix the flour and water, then that's a starter just like that? OR do I need to let that sit for some time to "work"? I thought starters were leftovers from the previous batch or something and the bacteria is important? Or do I have that wrong?

You are correct in that it takes time. You need to feed it regularly, as well as throw away or use some before feeding. I only Bake every 3 days on average so I always leave my starter in the fridge and only use it as a flavor enhancer and not the leaven, that is why I use instant yeast with it. First tho you must correctly make it, so here is the best way.

[ame="http://youtu.be/5F86r7ByDFM"]http://youtu.be/5F86r7ByDFM[/ame]

You are correct in that it takes time. You need to feed it regularly, as well as throw away or use some before feeding. I only Bake every 3 days on average so I always leave my starter in the fridge and only use it as a flavor enhancer and not the leaven, that is why I use instant yeast with it. First tho you must correctly make it, so here is the best way.

http://youtu.be/5F86r7ByDFM

THANK YOU!

Now....if you are not using the starter as the leaven (which you say you aren't, right?) then do you still do the float test and all?

Also....when he first fed it in the video, he removed 1/2. He also mentioned to remove some (most) and add cold water and flour to retard the growth especially if you're not going to bake often. When you remove these portions, do you just pitch them I assume? The purpose is to only keep about the same amount of starter, so you're feeding the yeast in the portion that remains and the removal of the other portions is just to keep the same volume of starter during growth/development?

Back