The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Competition Trailer Question (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104874)

AUBBQ 04-20-2011 03:55 PM

Competition Trailer Question

Hey guys, I’m looking to buy an enclosed trailer for competitions. Any must have options or things I should exclude? I thought about going for the basic trailer with insulation & air to begin with and adding other options along the way as money permits. I’ve been pricing 7 & 8.5 foot wide x 16 - 20 foot long trailers within driving distance.
Any help would be appreciated.

roksmith 04-20-2011 04:29 PM

IMHO wider is better, but longer sometimes can get you cramped up trying to move the thing around and you may have to pay more for a bigger spot.
The things we would not want to go without in our trailer..
A nice big sink setup and table/counter space to work on.
The rest of our stuff is mobile.. comes and goes.

thillin 04-20-2011 04:54 PM

Make sure the interior is tall enough for you. Don't want to bump your head on the a/c or a light fixture.

jrbBBQ 04-20-2011 05:07 PM

I just started this whole competition thing and bought a 7'x16' I happen to think its about the perfect size. I was looking at an 8x20 and I'm glad I went with the 16'. I have a 1/2 ton Chevy Avalanche and most are my comps are gonna be about 2 hours away, I don't think I like to pull one a foot wider and 4 feet longer with my truck. I would definately make sure the inside is tall enough.

Captain Caveman 04-20-2011 05:14 PM

Plan on power outages. Our trailer will run everything essential for the competition off of battery power (4 golf cart batteries). We competed last weekend without electricity or a generator.

Ron_L 04-20-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrbBBQ (Post 1616493)
I just started this whole competition thing and bought a 7'x16' I happen to think its about the perfect size. I was looking at an 8x20 and I'm glad I went with the 16'. I have a 1/2 ton Chevy Avalanche and most are my comps are gonna be about 2 hours away, I don't think I like to pull one a foot wider and 4 feet longer with my truck. I would definately make sure the inside is tall enough.

This is an excellent point. Make sure that you know what your tow vehicle can tow. Besides the towing capacity spec of the tow vehicle you need to look ad the payload capacity. Payload for the trunk is the weight of the people, fuel, options on the truck and your gear PLUS the tongue weight of the trailer.

Also, ignore the dry weight of the trailer. Those specs are almost always low because they are the weight of the bare bones trailer and don't include options like lighting, a spare tire, a battery, etc. Look at the GVWR of the trailer since that is the most it would way and make sure that your tow vehicle can handle that with about 20% overhead. Also, for tongue weight figure 10 - 13% of GVWR.

Finally, look into the laws regarding trailer brakes. In Illinois the law requires trailer brakes on any trailer over 3500 lbs GVWR. You may need a brake controller. You should also look into a good weight distribution hitch with sway control as you look at the bigger trailers.

Fishiest1 04-20-2011 05:19 PM

Electric brakes and radials should be added to your current list, imho.

Also you might want to look in GA that is like the enclosed trailer capital of the universe and beyond, beyond, beyond...

AUBBQ 04-20-2011 06:00 PM

Thanks for the comments! Most of the ones I've priced so far have been out of Ga.

BBQchef33 04-20-2011 07:37 PM

trailer :: trailer slideshow by bbqchef33 - Photobucket

Mine is 8.5x16 with a 4 foot v nose. If I had to do it again I would go with the the 5K dual torsion flex axels, Radial Tires, 7 foot ceiling, Insulation and have them prewire it for your electric. You can always add the Air conditioner, but its expensive to swap out the axles and dump 2 perfectly good ones.

I did most of the upgrades at build time, but regret not having it insulated and getting the smaller 3500 lb axels. Fully loaded without meat, drinks and ice I weigh in at 6100 lbs. I would like to have the extra cushion to carry the bigger cookers if I wanted to.

Gerrit_Boys 04-20-2011 11:04 PM

As far as brakes go, I wouldn't want to pull a trailer that big with a half ton without them. I've had trailers push me around and it sucks. I have a 7 x 16 v-nose and although I'd like to be 8' wide it is what I'm comfortable pulling with my 1/2 ton ram.

crd26a 04-21-2011 10:26 AM

First and foremost, ask yourself what kind of cookers you're going to haul in this. A couple of webers, no big deal. You want to load an offset into the back - figure out the dimensions. What do you have to haul? How many do you need to sleep in the trailer?

If anything, I would try and think of how you'll layout the trailer. Where do you want cabinets / water, where you plan to sleep, etc. I've got a 7 x 16, can fit 2 Superior SS'2 smokers, a small fridge, and have counter space in the trailer. For sleeping, its zero gravity chairs that will fit two side by side in the back. Plus this will fit in a 20 ft space, allowing me to stay in smaller spaces.

If / when I upgrade, I will go to an 8.5 ft trailer (v-nose) and probably 20-22 ft, just to have some additional room in the trailer.

AUBBQ 04-21-2011 11:07 AM

All very good points to consider. I’ll be pulling this trailer with a Toyota Tundra and hauling a Superior Smoker SS-2. Eventually I would like to add another SS-2, maybe next year sometime. The ultimate goal is to have a fridge, cabinets, shower, toilet and fold down beds.

crd26a 04-21-2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUBBQ (Post 1617129)
All very good points to consider. I’ll be pulling this trailer with a Toyota Tundra and hauling a Superior Smoker SS-2. Eventually I would like to add another SS-2, maybe next year sometime. The ultimate goal is to have a fridge, cabinets, shower, toilet and fold down beds.

In a 7 x 16, cabinets, fridge and fold down beds are possible, but you can scrap the toilet & shower. If you want all of that, I'd move up to an 8 x 20, and in all honesty, have it built for you unless your buildout skills are great (and have the time). I'd look at having James at Extreme spec one out for you, and in honesty, look at doing a porch trailer. The SS'2s will mount great that way

KC_Bobby 04-21-2011 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUBBQ (Post 1617129)

What's your tow cap of your Tundra? Sounds like that trailer might be getting heavy.

Contracted Cookers 04-21-2011 06:31 PM

continental cargo for sale 8'X20' AC 2beds sink shower and stool microwave 5 gallon hotwater heater trailer brakes awning ramp backdoor 2 batteries