Smoking my first ribs tomorrow!

R

rknotthere

I have a nice rack of spare ribs that I am about to rub down and will be smoking tomorrow. I know to trim them and remove the membrane, I do not plan on trimming them to a St Lois trim, just enough to make for even cooking. Here is the rub that I have created, it is smokey, spicy and with a little sweetness:
1 TBS Smoked Paprika
1 1/2 Tsp sweet paprika
2 tsp chipotle powder
1 tsp chili powder
4 TBS brown sugar
2 Tsp Ground coffee
1/4 tsp ground worcestishire powder
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp Old Bay garlic and herb seasoning
Dash Cayenne
2 Tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp Tony Chachere's
1 Tsp onion powder
2 tsp ground mustard
My questions for this are:
1). I tasted the rub and it tastes good, would y'all make any changes or additions?
2). Do you recommend rubbing the ribs with mustard and then applying the rub or just the rub alone?
For the smoking I plan on using pecan wood with some mesquite and keeping the temp at about 200. Also I will need to leave for a little while during the process.

Here are my questions for the smoking:
1). Do you recommend starting with charcoal and then adding wood?
2). Because I will need to leave for about an hour and a half I am considering either removing the ribs during that time, or letting the temp drop while I am away and wrapping the ribs in foil while I am gone, would this be okay?
3). I am also considering pouring a bottle of Guinness in the drip pan while the ribs smoke, thoughts on this?
Thank you for your suggestions and help on this one guys! I look forward to your tips. :-D

I do not need any advice on a sauce, or if there should be a sauce, I make our favorite already; it is thick, sweet, spicy,smoky and fully Texas! :cool:

I would vote for drinking the Guiness instead of adding to the drip pan. Sounds like a tasty rub!

If it the first keep it simple then add to ,the more you cook. Maybe salt/ pepper with a little garlic powder.

What are you cooking in? On the offset I do 3-2-1, UDS 2.25-1.5-.5. Either way I start off with the wood smoldering. I have been told and seen on here many times that meat stops taking the smoke at a certain temperature. I don't do the mustard rub, just dry, but the concensous seems to be that the mustard flavor cooks away.

If you do the mustard, I'd recommend cutting back on or removing the salt from the rub. Also, I've never been a big fan of smoking with mesquite. Grilling sure, but not smoking. Too harsh for my tastes but then again I'm not from TX. :p

I have a nice rack of spare ribs that I am about to rub down and will be smoking tomorrow. I know to trim them and remove the membrane, I do not plan on trimming them to a St Lois trim, just enough to make for even cooking. Here is the rub that I have created, it is smokey, spicy and with a little sweetness:
1 TBS Smoked Paprika
1 1/2 Tsp sweet paprika
2 tsp chipotle powder
1 tsp chili powder
4 TBS brown sugar
2 Tsp Ground coffee
1/4 tsp ground worcestishire powder
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp Old Bay garlic and herb seasoning
Dash Cayenne
2 Tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp Tony Chachere's
1 Tsp onion powder
2 tsp ground mustard​

My questions for this are:
1). I tasted the rub and it tastes good, would y'all make any changes or additions?

2). Do you recommend rubbing the ribs with mustard and then applying the rub or just the rub alone?​

For the smoking I plan on using pecan wood with some mesquite and keeping the temp at about 200. Also I will need to leave for a little while during the process.​

Here are my questions for the smoking:
1). Do you recommend starting with charcoal and then adding wood?

2). Because I will need to leave for about an hour and a half I am considering either removing the ribs during that time, or letting the temp drop while I am away and wrapping the ribs in foil while I am gone, would this be okay?

3). I am also considering pouring a bottle of Guinness in the drip pan while the ribs smoke, thoughts on this?​

Thank you for your suggestions and help on this one guys! I look forward to your tips. :-D​

I do not need any advice on a sauce, or if there should be a sauce, I make our favorite already; it is thick, sweet, spicy,smoky and fully Texas! :cool:

I'd try that rub - stay with it!

Why not slather half the rack with mustard and leave the other half plain? They're both going to be good, and that would provide a great way to decide if you need the yellow stuff or not.

I'm not sure which pit you're using but if you can set a path for your charcoal to burn (minion method) then set wood chunks in with your charcoal, that will help let you take off for a little while still providing smoke and heat.

Guinness? Nah, I'd use it to keep your throat wet. Try throwing some pork and beans in that drip pan and see how that turns out!

Good luck!

If you cook ribs at 200 deg--it will take "forever and a day" to get them done.

Many of us cook ribs at 250-275 ish. The lowest cook temp I have heard of that was successful was 225 and that took quite a while.

You do not say what you are smoking on and how much experience you have with it--especially on longer cooks.
Leaving it for 1.5 hours is something you have to evaluate and be comfortable with.
None of us can help you there.

May I suggest kicking the temp up and get the ribs done before you leave.
They will hold just fine if wrapped in foil and placed in a small dry cooler.

Good luck and let us know how it goes or went!!!

TIM

Thank you Downtown for the advice! I will certainly do the 3-2-1 cook. I am leaning toward just the rub; esp. since I plan on letting them rest with the rub overnight, I think the mustard would take over and the flavor would not cook out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the advice on the heat Kapn, I will certainly increase that in my plans. I bought a 3-in- one gas/charcoal grill with a side smoker to start with, Outdoor Gourmet brand. I plan to get a Hondo smoker in the future...just getting my feet smoked right now.:wink: I will also try to either run my errands early or smoke the ribs early, or see if my brother will come and tend the fire while I am away...prob will if I offer him some ribs...

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Brethren!

My .02 based upon your questions are:

1. I'd increase the salt ratio of the rub - it looks low to me. It is the most important ingredient.
2. I'd cook ribs hotter - between 250 and 275. You'll have a more complete rendering of fats that way.
3. I'd skip the Mesquite - super strong for ribs. Pecan is awesome.
4. Drink the beer - you won't taste it in the cook.
5. Have a blast & post some PrOn!

Thank you all for your tips. I am very glad that I posted this question before tomorrow! I will increase my heat, use pecan only, add salt to my rub, and mustard to the trimmings to see how that goes, and drink the Guinness! I think that I may add the can of beans to the drippings also...that sounds really tasty!

Thank you Downtown for the advice! I will certainly do the 3-2-1 cook. I am leaning toward just the rub; esp. since I plan on letting them rest with the rub overnight, I think the mustard would take over and the flavor would not cook out.

The mustard would definitely cook out, so no concerns there. Might want to rethink leaving the rub on overnight though. The salt and sugar in it will draw a lot of moisture out of the meat, which could lead to a tougher end product. I'd recommend applying the rub about an hour before you put the rack on the smoker. As soon as you see the rub turn a bit mushy, you know you're good to go.

The mustard would definitely cook out, so no concerns there. Might want to rethink leaving the rub on overnight though. The salt and sugar in it will draw a lot of moisture out of the meat, which could lead to a tougher end product. I'd recommend applying the rub about an hour before you put the rack on the smoker. As soon as you see the rub turn a bit mushy, you know you're good to go.

Thank you! I will do just that.

Sounds like you're all set. Good luck on your first rib cook!
It's probably my favorite thing to cook!

I agree with Arlin. Try the ribs with and without the mustard slather, then make the call which one you like best. I used to slather but don't anymore. Don't find it necessary, but you be the judge.

As far as letting the smoker go unattended, I do, but I've got quite a few cooks under my belt so I know what to expect. As Kapn said....it's all about what you feel comfortable with.

POST PRON!!!
GOOD LUCK!!!
HAVE FUN!!!!

Great post! This is only my second day on here and the information is great! I'm hoping to get my grill going for the first time in the next week. I just need to decide what to cook first.

Good thoughts above. Good luck. For me, I'd skip the mesquite. Mind you, I'm a huge
fan of it when grilling, but that's hot and fast. Mesquite can get VERY VERY strong
on a low n slow smoke. You'd said you had pecan. I'd stick with that.

That rub applied an hour before time should work great. I particularly like Arlin's
suggestion of 1/2 rib with mustard applied first, other 1/2 without. It'll give you a
really good idea of which you like best.

The rub looks good. I've tried so many combinations to get to where I'm finally pretty happy with it. I always did what you seem to have done which is write down what you do each time. I typically always used mostly the same ingredients and then just changed quantities of ones each time.

I also agree with most of the Guinness comments. Don't waste a good beer in a water pan. Some may disagree with me but I have never been able to pick up the flavor of any liquid in the drip pan. Water is cheap and works well. If you want to add some beer flavor add Guinness or whatever into a basting liquid that you put on the ribs a few times during the cook.

Back