The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Meat inspection ??'s for a first event. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20353)

ihbobry 09-11-2006 02:52 PM

Meat inspection ??'s for a first event.

I've been lurking for a year+ and after the Hudson Valley Rib Fest and talking to many of you my friends and I are going to convert our race team to a cooking team. (Less OH and chance of dying we think:-P )

Anyway, our first entry will be the Cape Cod Classic. Could some of you guys give us a scope of the meat inspection, how late that night or early the next morning can/will it be done. I see after 7pm but we have people coming from different places and can't guarrentee we all get there with all of our equipment/stuff much before 8pm, add set up time for that stuff and well as a first timer I'm cluess on the time requirement for this part of the event.

Thanks for the help,

Bernie
Champlain Pit Crew.

BrooklynQ 09-11-2006 02:54 PM

Grab the contest organizer whenever you're ready to have your meat inspected. Try to have one cooler with all the meat you're using in competition and nothing else but ice. It'll speed things up tremondously.

chad 09-11-2006 02:56 PM

At KCBS events the inspection usually starts about 8 a.m. on Friday and continues until the teams are all on-site (assuming a Fri/Sat event). Keep you meat iced well and in the original cryovac or store wrapping, if at all possible. The inspectors love to see you dig the stuff out of ice and if it's in cryvac and original wrapping they usually just give a cursory check.

BrooklynQ 09-11-2006 03:25 PM

Also, if you get certain Tequila loving inspectors from NEBS, they'll be looking that you keep your meat seperate from your vegetables/garnish.

bbqbull 09-11-2006 03:27 PM

Yes I agree with what the others said. Cryovaced meat. Plenty of ice on the top. Has always made things easy for us to get our meat approved. With the ice on the top, the cold sinks to the bottom of the cooler.
Good luck with your contest.

scottyd 09-11-2006 04:08 PM

original cryovac lots of ice and trim your meat after you get inspected. you should have no worries mate.

Sawdustguy 09-11-2006 04:15 PM

The meat inspectors will also check to see if you have a fire extinguisher, 4 tubs for washing and material for sanitising.

ique 09-11-2006 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihbobry
Anyway, our first entry will be the Cape Cod Classic. Could some of you guys give us a scope of the meat inspection, how late that night or early the next morning can/will it be done.

Hey Bernie, at NEBS events they typically allow a NEBS board member to inspect meats if the Rep. is unavailable. Talk to a couple of teams if the Rep is not around, you'll get taken care of.

-Chris

2Fat 09-11-2006 09:31 PM

I don't understand the concern about having it in the original packaging??? We always try to trim everything at home(but brisket), it is alot easier at the kitchen counter!!! imo anyways

Buzz

Kirk 09-11-2006 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawdustguy
The meat inspectors will also check to see if you have a fire extinguisher, 4 tubs for washing and material for sanitising.

Is it 4 tubs Guy? I thought it was 3: wash / rinse / sanitize.