The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I'm Fatty Failure ... (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41621)

YankeeBBQ 05-01-2008 03:08 PM

I'm not a big fan of the breakfast sausage stuff for fatties. I like to use johnsonville brats. Remove the casing. Season with whatever you like. I like to add roasted peppers, garlic, onion and cheese. It's pretty difficult to dry out bratwurst (lots of nice fat)

milehigh 05-01-2008 03:12 PM

Thanks Brent

Paul

jestridge 05-01-2008 07:02 PM

baste them with maple syrup.

Hook_Line_and_Sinker 05-02-2008 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jestridge (Post 626639)
baste them with maple syrup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ (Post 626467)
I'm not a big fan of the breakfast sausage stuff for fatties. I like to use johnsonville brats. Remove the casing. Season with whatever you like. I like to add roasted peppers, garlic, onion and cheese. It's pretty difficult to dry out bratwurst (lots of nice fat)

ok now I'm sporting a fatty ...

i love brats and i would have never thought of that

and more than brats MAPLE SYRUP :eusa_clap I live for maple

humdogj 08-22-2011 09:52 PM

A brat fatty? Hellz yes!!!!!!!! :-D

TIMMAY 08-23-2011 05:29 AM

Thread necro?

Somebody had to say it!

I like my fatties with diced jalapeno and onion with shredded colby and jack cheese.

Daddy-O 08-23-2011 08:36 AM

I have tried a few times to make fatties - & I haven't liked any of them. I thought I was doing something wrong, but after reading through countless forums and posts, I don't think so.

I think it is just too greasy or something for me.

I will keep on with the other stuff and leave the fatties for those that appreciate them!

JoeSmoker 08-23-2011 09:49 AM

I tried using chicken sausage at the request of my wife, to lighten them a bit. The chicken sausage fell apart. Of course I may have overloaded it. I rolled it out, put some sliced jalapenos, black olives, cheddar and pepper jack cheeses, and chunky salsa. Looking back, I should have strained the salsa and maybe it would have held up better. It was still good, I just had a bit of a clean up job later!

Mikey063 08-23-2011 01:05 PM

Well, I am going to show my ignorance, I am unsure what a fatty is. From what I read it is just a big sausage that you throw on the smoker. Not sure if that sounds good or now...

colonel00 08-23-2011 01:17 PM

A fatty is just sausage (Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage is preferred) with or without rub that is smoked. That is the simple start. Then you can get all sorts of fancy and start rolling it flat and adding stuffings and bacon wraps and what not. Start with a simple naked fatty and see what you think. Then go from there.

Johnny_Crunch 08-23-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daddy-O (Post 1760824)
I have tried a few times to make fatties - & I haven't liked any of them. I thought I was doing something wrong, but after reading through countless forums and posts, I don't think so.

I think it is just too greasy or something for me.

I will keep on with the other stuff and leave the fatties for those that appreciate them!

What sausage are you using? I agree the chubs of sausage are nasty. If you can find fresh pan sausage from a meat market you might get results you enjoy. That is all I use and everyone loves them.

Mikey063 08-23-2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colonel00 (Post 1761173)
A fatty is just sausage (Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage is preferred) with or without rub that is smoked. That is the simple start. Then you can get all sorts of fancy and start rolling it flat and adding stuffings and bacon wraps and what not. Start with a simple naked fatty and see what you think. Then go from there.

Does it come with a defibrillator? That way when it closes all the vessels to my heart, I am ready lol. It does sound tempting, but I would be the only one eating it. My wife dislikes overly fatty foods. Which is ironic considering I am starting to make bacon and sausage at home lol.

Daddy-O 08-23-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny_Crunch (Post 1761186)
What sausage are you using? I agree the chubs of sausage are nasty. If you can find fresh pan sausage from a meat market you might get results you enjoy. That is all I use and everyone loves them.

I used fresh sausage twice and a couple of tubes (Jimmy Deans?) the other times.

I tried stuffing it with cheese/bacon/other things. It came down to being too heavy for me. My kids, however loved it, & so did the others who tried it.

Once again, I think it comes down to "It's not you......It's me!"
Maybe it was the 14 PBR's I had before eating!