What is the Best Store Bought Brisket Rub?

M

MileHighSmoker

I was shocked to realize that so many brethren either compete with store bought rubs, or a semi doctored rub when reading that recent thread. So I would like to know what store bought rub everyone thinks is the best for brisket in its un-doctored format? I have played with making my own but if there is a magic brisket dust out there I am more than willing to try that approach.

If someone wants to throw in a good variety of the top suggestions we can maybe even get wild and make a poll out of the choices.

The consensus will very likely be very diverse.
I have used the variations of Texas BBQ rub over the years and also some of the blends from Obie Q, not to mention Willy B's.
In a pinch or if the larder is low, home made works pretty well too, not to mention just basic salt and pepper.

Montreal Steak Seasoning (and the Sam's clone, Canadian Steak Seasoning)

BTW, they've never heard of either in Montreal :rolleyes:

I like Gordons grub rub, or Bills season all. if i have neither which is rare ill hit it with salt pepper garlic powder

I'll put my vote in for Texas BBQ Rub although I can't honestly say that I've tried a whole lot of commercially available rubs.

Texas BBQ Rub is good as well as any of the Dizzy Pig Rubs...

Damn, you had to put "store bought" in the question......Well this should be an interesting thread, just from the huge variety of rubs out there. For reference, I am pretty simple when it comes to beef rubs. Salt, pepper and granulated garlic is all I really need. Also, I like to make my own rubs. I have some Canadian rub recipes that I like.

Back to your question ..... I like Rudy's rub, it is very peppery. To it, I like to add sea salt. Thillin recently turned me on to some Kreuz rub, basically a mixture of salt and pepper + ??? I have not tried it yet. I have store bought Montreal (Canadian) rub on hand, and Chris sent me a beta sample of Dizzy Pig "Raising The Steaks" which has a Canadian Flair. I like all of them. DP stuff is very, very fresh. A big plus.

I like Texas BBQ Rub, Harlie's, Head Country, Spicewines Heifer.

my nickles worth Oh and on chicken Yard Bird Rub

Rubs

I like to use Head Country and I doctor alittle with coffee, but I only use this on the Brisket and Butts, I use another blend for ribs....

Head Country and Home BBQ.com both great rubs. I have also used Texas BBQ Rub.

Thanks guys that gives me an idea of some proven brands to look for in the stores

Is there any 1 rub that people know has won more ribbons or trophies?

Back