The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Uds (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60095)

jlstetler1989 04-14-2009 10:19 AM

Uds

Im building a double barrel smoker and trying to do it as cheap as possible and i dont care how it looks as long as it bbqs. How would yall go about building your own door for the firebox instead of paying a ton for the kits? I was thinking of taking 10 gauage steel and building the door do yall think it will work?

jgh1204 04-14-2009 10:21 AM

Jl, there are threads about the double barrel smokers. One comment is how big of fuel hogs they are. You might try going with a true UDS first.

battman1 04-14-2009 11:53 AM

I'm building one right now too.Not sure if its going to work or not but I'm going to try and hinge the whole lid on the side and make the whole thing a door.If it don't work I'm not out anything and will just try something different.

Mark 04-14-2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlstetler1989 (Post 902053)
Im building a double barrel smoker and trying to do it as cheap as possible and i dont care how it looks as long as it bbqs. How would yall go about building your own door for the firebox instead of paying a ton for the kits? I was thinking of taking 10 gauage steel and building the door do yall think it will work?

Do you weld? If so, cut out about a 1 square foot door, frame it with some bar stock and attach with hinges and a latch.

battman1 04-14-2009 02:05 PM

I'm trying to teach myself to mig weld so my welding doesn't look real good yet.You don't think the whole thing as a door would work?

Mark 04-14-2009 02:07 PM

I can't envision a good hinging mechanisim for a lid like I can for a door.

bocephus 04-14-2009 02:14 PM

I recently made my double barrel smoker, and all I did was much like the lid for the cooking chamber, I cut a 10 by 10 hole in the fire box, then cut a 12 by 12 hole in a different barrel, and then hinged that over the smaller hole, then I used rope gasket and put that around to seal it up, then I have a smiple handle that uses a spring to hold the door closed... it actually works pretty well, I would post picutures but I have filled my aloted attachments, and can not figure out how to delete some of them so I can post more... PM me if you need anything else... I did the same cheap way, and I only have like 50 dollars in my double barrel and love it... it does use a good amount of wood though.

Thawley 04-14-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgh1204 (Post 902054)
Jl, there are threads about the double barrel smokers. One comment is how big of fuel hogs they are. You might try going with a true UDS first.

The way I learned about BBQ-Brethren was doing a web search on double barrel smokers. Once I read how easy and good the UDS were I never built the over-under. No regrets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 902183)
Do you weld?

Same question came to my mind. A double barreled over-under would be a great project for a wannabe fabricator (like me). But lack of tools or a welder make going UDS a no-brainer.

Gotta ask yourself if the project is the motivation or just getting yerself something to smoke on?

bocephus 04-14-2009 02:56 PM

I really see good things to both, after I made my double barrel I saw how much work a stick burner really was, but it makes some great food, and it is SOO much more room then the UDS I built shortly after building my double barrel. I really love them both... Im just a drum head, I think they both are good in their own ways