Mesh - Pepper grind size

MilitantSquatter

Reaction score
Occasionally, some here reference the different size granules of pepper that they use in their rub (most commonly on briskets)

Mesh refers to the size of the openings in a sifter.... The unit of measure is linear inches. When two #'s are referenced like 10/16 this means the grind would big small enough to fall through a 10 mesh (10 openings per inch) but large enough to not fall through a smaller opening of 16 mesh (16 openings per inch)

This is a good illustration of the various sizes...

Attachments

• mesh pepper.jpg
    mesh pepper.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
I was just thinking last week that this was something I needed to think about! I only have a mortar and pestle - does a spice grinder have settings to get the desired grind?

My spice grinder doesn't have any such settings but mine was on the lower end of price when I purchased it. Maybe sdome of the more expensive ones have a setting.

16 mesh is roughly the size featured at sams or rest depot that says RESTURANT pepper. Tones

I have no idea why that is.

fyVMtP8A

It also like it because it is dustless, which when you are going to rub a bunch of briskets, that is nice. I don't really rub though, I dump and shake.

the true Lockhart places in my day used a pepper that came in a dad gum canvas bag and was ground just for them. I never got how they got away with that large grain and regular salt. I might have to try that again one day.

I remember they told me I had to keep shaking the rub bowl or all the salt woudl settle.

Anyway.... without grinding yourself, pick up this type and it does well. Smells like New Bransfels Smokehouse or any hill country bbq joint.

So long as the pepper's freshly ground I'm not too concerned about granule size. I've got a spice grinder but 99% of the time just grind/crack what I need in a pestle and mortar

Back