Chuck Roll

Dex

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Looking and doing some pulled beef sammies.... just something different from pulled pork. I've been reading where guys are using chuck roll, and thought I would give this a try.

Any tips or cooking techniques that you have used with success?

Also, how is it reheated? Does it dry out much? Any thoughts on freezing?

Chuck Roll is a big ol hunk of meat (30 ponds or so), usually most folks are cooking a cut from that called a Chuck Roast. Either way it's delicious. Just rub it up with your favorite beef rub, and cook it much like you do a brisket, until it is tender and pulls apart. I usually take them to 205 or so. If you get a chuck roast, get a really thick one, the thin ones tend to get dry and tough and won't pull.

• Thanks
Reactions: Dex
Here's a few of my theads where I tackled chuck roll. BBQ Bubba is the Chuck Roll King around here. If you smoke it whole.........be prepared for a 24 hour + - smoke a thon!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47603&highlight=chuck+roll

There is a second thread link in the above link.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Bob

Hey Bob I see you mentioned round two. Everything go well with that one?

Also, to cut back on cooking time, have you ever cut the roll in half to make smaller chunks?

Here's a few of my theads where I tackled chuck roll. BBQ Bubba is the Chuck Roll King around here. If you smoke it whole.........be prepared for a 24 hour + - smoke a thon!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47603&highlight=chuck+roll

There is a second thread link in the above link.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Bob

A full chuck roll is bigger than a basketball. Cut it into more manageable chunks to:
  1. cut down on cooking time
  2. have more bark

Hey Bob I see you mentioned round two. Everything go well with that one?

Also, to cut back on cooking time, have you ever cut the roll in half to make smaller chunks?

Second round went as well as the first. You can cut em in half. Matter of fact I'd recommend it unless you have the time to do em whole. As you can see, once they got their fill of smoke, I tossed in the GOSM and cranked it up to get them to done temp faster. You could go that route also. Much like brisket, they just need more time due to the mass.

Back