speaking of poi

mbshop

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
love the stuff. a must have at any hawaiian version of a bbq. you could say luau but that term is used to loosely.
so who also needs a regular fix out there ?

I've never tried it - in fact I don't really know anything about it - what's the story?

• Thanks
Reactions: fil
I've never had Poi but I can tear up some cooked inhame (taro root), it is an acquired taste and I've been told it pretty much taste like poi.

Uh, not me.

Sent from my Android phone.

I used to dip some of the pork and rice in it at Luau's. Alone, no thanks...

poi is basically pounding taro till it becomes a thick paste.
usually doesn't have much of a taste. most times its eaten with
some lime juice and soy sauce added. just a starch to add to a meal.
i grew up with taro and breadfruit so have an acquired taste for it.
to me one of the best neals i like is taro cooked in coconut milk and real corned beef from brazil or australia. this is differant from the stuff most people think of
and not easily found. poi goes well with fish, chicken and such. not normally used with beef. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poi_(food)

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Definitely not me. Tried it in "93" on my honeymoon on the Big Island and just didn't like it.

Only tried it once in Hawaii and didn't like it. But I don't think the old woman that made it liked the Navy.

...maybe if I were REALLY hungry.... no, probably not even then. :tsk:

It's expensive out here nowadays. Gotta have it always, 100% of the time when grinding lomi lomi salmon. Other than that....I'll pass.

The original poi -

picture.php

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I spent 11 days in Hawaii once. That is some nasty chit. Looks like watered down newspaper.
Sorry,
:sad:

11 days is not long enough to get the "flavor" of hawaii !
for me it goes well with most stuff but especially kalua pork.
dems da grinds !

Ahhh, poi. I tried it a couple years ago while in Hawaii. Loved it. Great with pork, rice, fish, or by itself. Had it with nearly every meal.

Back