The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How do you guys answer this question? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148490)

Wrench_H 11-26-2012 03:02 PM

How do you guys answer this question?

I would bet that around 8 out of 10 people that find out I cook a lot on my smokers always ask the same question and it usually goes something like this... "If I just want to smoke some ribs or something every once in a while, what kind of smoker would you suggest I get?"

I always start with their price range(which is almost always way too low for what they want), and then move onto how much work they want to put into each cook. I then explain the difference between charcoal, pellets, gas, etc. Usually somewhere in the middle of the second hour of my explanation, I see their eyes glaze over, and by the third or fourth hour, they are openly wishing they hadn't asked and some have even started snoring at this point. Kidding aside, what recommendation do you guys usually give to questions like this?

mbshop 11-26-2012 03:05 PM

its near impossible to answer that question.
for me a weber kettle is usually the answer i give.
with a few mods you can do near anything on them.

chad 11-26-2012 03:07 PM

Depends on how well I know the people.
I tell 'em my rig was $4500 7 years ago and my lanai smokers are $299 or so.
We then can talk grills and if they already have a gasser or charcoal grill we discuss. If they are serious I often offer them a "class" on my WSM. Heck, I get to talk cookin' and eat! Works for me.

Harbormaster 11-26-2012 03:07 PM

I always suggest they get a new WSM because they'll never find a used one on Craig's List.

BBQ Bandit 11-26-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbormaster (Post 2281431)
I always suggest they get a new WSM because they'll never find a used one on Craig's List.

That's true - you grab them first.

However an afternoon with a WSM will answer that question.

Carbon 11-26-2012 03:34 PM

My default answer on that is always "get a Weber kettle".

JD McGee 11-26-2012 03:38 PM

Wsm...

aawa 11-26-2012 03:40 PM

I always ask for budget first and how often they think every once in a while is. And then if they want to do charcoal or propane.

Most of the time I direct them to a weber kettle, if they plan to smoke something a couple times a month I direct them to a wsm. If they dont want to spend $100 i direct them on how to make a mini wsm out of a smokey joe.

If they want something super fancy, I direct them to this website so they can ask the more experienced people

aquablue22 11-26-2012 03:55 PM

People like that are most likely in the Weber kettle price range, that's where i go first.

TN_BBQ 11-26-2012 04:11 PM

an offset barrel from one of the national stores or 22" weber kettle

they will smoke ribs n such as well as double as a grill

G$ 11-26-2012 05:28 PM

Wsm.

landarc 11-26-2012 05:34 PM

I ask them what their standard is for good BBQ ribs. From there, I can usually determine where to point them.

On Edit: Most of them are quite disappointed in my cookers (Weber Kettle, UDS, old gas grill) and I think they are hoping I will answer with something shiny. I really do like my 22" kettle for most cooks.

samfsu 11-26-2012 05:36 PM

WSM or weber kettle

NickTheGreat 11-26-2012 05:36 PM

I would suggest WSM, but like others say, usually that's above the price range they're talking. "But Home Depot has the Brinkman for $100 . . . "

People know better than to ask me questions like that now. I drive a V8 pickup for my 10 mile commute. But I hauled a Christmas tree on Saturday! :twisted:

smokeyokie 11-26-2012 06:35 PM

I tell em go get a Weber Kettle, tell them I can show you how to set it up to smoke and you can do all that for under 150.00, I also explain to them that you can produce killer Q from that unit, if you want to expand the sky is the limit!.... Smoke on Brothers and Sisters:thumb: