The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The torch shall soon be passed... (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11132)

icemn62 03-24-2005 08:55 PM

The torch shall soon be passed...

Just had dinner. Grilled some burgers. The news......I did not do it. My son seasoned the meat, preped the grill. He did the cookin. Used a meat Thermometer and did not get to drink a beer, he is only 10, but he did sip on his root beer like a champ. I was very proud of him, the burgers were juicy, and had great flavor. To be honest his were better than the last batch I did.

parrothead 03-24-2005 09:03 PM

Quote:

To be honest his were better than the last batch I did.
That is either fantastic, or just your pride talking. Either one is fine.

The_Kapn 03-24-2005 09:04 PM

Quote:

To be honest his were better than the last batch I did.
SO KEWL :lol:
We have a BRO who has raised a "Que Critic" daughter, and now you have a "Grillin' Champ" in your court :wink:
The future is good for the Brethren :lol: :lol:

Great job teaching the KIDDO!

TIM

Neil 03-25-2005 03:38 AM

I'm dreaming of the day when my youngest (21) daughter informs me she's no longer a veegan!

Arlin_MacRae 03-25-2005 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil
I'm dreaming of the day when my youngest (21) daughter informs me she's no longer a veegan!

Ooh THAT has to be tough. :)

chad 03-25-2005 06:31 AM

You do realize that a lot of competitions have a Kid's Cookoff? :D The format is usually: the kid preps and cooks a piece of chicken and then a meat of their choice - some contest use ECBs, some use other "grills" but he kids have to do it all - fire lighting, seasoning of the meat, sanitation, etc.

Oh yeah, they usually get to keep the cooker or grill, too.

Trout_man22 03-25-2005 06:41 AM

O'happy day

BigBelly 03-25-2005 07:16 AM

Grats to you, proud father.

My daughter (7-years old) said to me last night at dinner that she wanted to help me cook spaghetti the next time we make it for dinner. She stated "I bet it is easy, it does not look that hard." I informed her that if she wants to cook anything that she must always taste as you go to make sure you have tasty food. Granted, this is a child that will pick through an entire plate of spaghetti and move aside all the chunks of tomato, basil, mushrooms, meat, etc.

I guess knowing her limited menu of items that she WILL eat, and her finicky eating habits, when she said that to me I almost keeled over in laughter. I am hoping that maybe my words of wisdom on tasting everything, even food you normally do not eat, will help her to just taste new stuff. Even if it looks gross (Escargo n' stuff)! Heck, I know she is not listening when I tell her that she cannot say she does not like anything without actually tasting it.

Looks like I am going to have to break her into the catering mod early.

Ron_L 03-25-2005 10:50 AM

Hey Ice! Watch your tongs! They'll dissappear soon! It nice to have a helper in the family, isn't it? My daughter (16) is considering a career in culinary arts, so she helps me quite a bit in the kitchen.

Neil 03-26-2005 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil

Ooh THAT has to be tough. :)

That's what happens when you have an artsy fartsy daughter, singer/dancer mod. Actually I feel quite blessed, she's a beautiful, talented young lady with high morals.

Solidkick 03-26-2005 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFLittle
You do realize that a lot of competitions have a Kid's Cookoff? :D The format is usually: the kid preps and cooks a piece of chicken and then a meat of their choice - some contest use ECBs, some use other "grills" but he kids have to do it all - fire lighting, seasoning of the meat, sanitation, etc.

Oh yeah, they usually get to keep the cooker or grill, too.

Yep! BellyBro's son and my youngest entered last summer at the Boone County Fair BBQ contest. KCBS kids rules, they had a great time. Took a first and a third!