The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Traditional NC Bar-B-Q (Lexington style) - Secrets from SirPorkalot HQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151525)

Blutch 01-14-2013 09:33 PM

This should be a sticky.

BobM 01-14-2013 10:11 PM

Nice post!

Sent from my Android phone.

HankB 01-14-2013 10:14 PM

Interesting post and technique. I had to trim some back ribs to fit my 18.5 WSM and that left me with a bunch of 3-4 bone mini-racks. So I put a different rub on each and smoked them in my mini-WSM. I left one blank - no rub - and only put some peanut oil on it. I was surprised how good it tasted. A rub is not really required for good 'Q and the technique you describe is a good example of that.

Will work for bbq 01-14-2013 11:26 PM

Wow! great tutorial and thanks for sharing the sauce recipe. :thumb::hungry:

CarolinaQue 01-15-2013 05:17 AM

This thread makes me miss the homeland in a bad way! I think I'll be getting a picnic and butt for this weekend! THanks for the great post on why NC BBQ is so great!!!

captndan 01-15-2013 06:23 AM

This should be mandatory reading for everybody. Being from 'Down East' I can attest to the authenticity of this Q. Except for the ketchup of course. Great Job! And a big thanks ya'll.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 01-15-2013 07:08 AM

Thanks for this great post! It is very informative on several levels.

Garrett 01-15-2013 07:17 AM

You just made folks in my area PROUD!!! That's proof that BBQ does t have to be complicated and fancy to be good. Good job brother!!

SmokinSlowPoke 01-15-2013 07:20 AM

Very nice post! I like the purist approach and that sammy looked damn good. I cant wait to give this a shot, thanks!

SirPorkaLot 01-15-2013 09:39 AM

Thanks all!

As with everyone else I experiment with all different types of rubs and techniques, but when it comes to just making some bbq to eat and fill the freezer with future rations, I always go back to the techniques learned back home.

Carolina gamecock 01-15-2013 09:44 AM

That was an excellent post! On a side note, I'm from the pee dee region of SC, and I use mustard, hunts ketchup, steak sauce, and apple vinegar among other things in my sauce. Does that make me a confused soul???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CarolinaQue 01-15-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot (Post 2329467)
Thanks all!

As with everyone else I experiment with all different types of rubs and techniques, but when it comes to just making some bbq to eat and fill the freezer with future rations, I always go back to the techniques learned back home.

The more I try different things, the more I appreciate the KISS method!!!

The only way I was taught different than your approach is to salt right before putting the meat on and to also salt the skin. Other than that, that's the way it's done!

gtr 01-15-2013 09:54 AM

I was hoping a post was gonna accompany the awesome pic you put up in the "wordless picture thread". Just beautiful all the way around sir! :clap2:

This will be my next pulled pork cook - thanks for putting that up!

Bluesman 01-15-2013 10:22 AM

Great tutorial...........Just Pure Excellence

conns79 01-15-2013 11:07 AM

That looks fantastic. I'm very new to BBQ. I'm finishing my UDS this weekend. As far as a rub and sauce go, I think the simplicity of this makes it perfect for my first attempt, but two cuts of meat might be a little too much to take on. Going with one cut, which would be my best bet?