• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Let's Talk Efficiency Tips & Tricks For Setup

masque13

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
hello everyone! me and my partner are gearing up for a few contests this year. and we've been looking to make some changes to our camp prep and setup process.

we are non porch people. I have a 7 x 16 enclosed cargo trailer that i will be eventually doing some things inside to it to make things more permanent. But that will be a slow time table and wallet dependent.

therefore, in the meantime, we are trailer, tents and camp site setup guys. we've recently built a sink cart for our hot water and sink which will help alot and we based it off a pic in one of the other threads (thanks!).

one of my main questions is what do you guys with similar set ups do for efficiency of use and setup and tear down for your rubs, sauces and utensils?

we're thinking about a rolling tool chest or something along those lines, but was just curious about what some of you do and hoping to find some great ideas we hadn't thought of before. any help would be appreciated.

and along those lines, any additional ideas any of you have for our kind of setup would be great, such as transporting wood (we're stick burners), and moving any totes or whatever.

thanks in advance for any ideas!

I run a similar set up. I have two 4' stainless tables with two 3 drawer Sterilite plastic drawer units sitting under one of them. This holds all utensils, rubs, towels, etc.

As for efficiency, I don't do any washing. Everything goes into a bus tub to take home. Disposable cutting boards and lots of foil lined pans. For set up, I have 30 gal trash can that sits outside. At tear down, any thing from the outside goes in it. Extension cords, rope lights, fire extinguisher, coal bucket, etc. The less pieces I have move the better.

I use small totes with lids that hold each category in them. If I use the same thing on more than one category I duplicate it instead of sharing so all I do is pull out the tote and everything for the category is in it, and when I am done everything goes back in it and it goes home, I made inventory sheets for each tote, I refill, refresh and load them back up.

This has streamlined my cooks and taken the guess work out of loading as they are always stocked. Another thing that it did was eliminate the clutter on my work table. Whatever is out is getting used, and then getting put away. It also helps in remembering your steps as you use everything that you have out.

Another plus is I bought the stackable totes so they have a small foot print, with labels on both ends it is easy to grab what you need.

Before we had the rv I liked having a free standing shelf unit. You can pick up a 4/5 shelf unit for around 20 bucks and it's a great way to still be able to see what you have without taking up table space

I have 3 of these, but don't look like they are made any more: https://www.suncast.com/dr181812-parts.html
They hold most of my bigger items, and then a Stanley fatmax toolbox for smaller items and tools. Foil pans and pots for heating sauces get stored in my cambro boxes until needed. Canopy accessories go in a large storage tote. Takes me about an hour to set up by myself, and a little little less to pack up.

For transporting wood, fill your fb to the brim and then fill the cook chamber with more. Fill all the nooks and crannys of your smoker with wood and your smoker tools.

^ thanks......thats the one I went with, except got the red version!

I don't recall where you'd look for them, but CBQ on here (Rhode Hog BBQ) has a sweet setup with some wheeled wire shelves with totes on them. The whole assembly rolls on and off the trailer.

I don't recall where you'd look for them, but CBQ on here (Rhode Hog BBQ) has a sweet setup with some wheeled wire shelves with totes on them. The whole assembly rolls on and off the trailer.

attachment.php

see Pages 2 and 3 http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184764

The challenge I found when doing my first (and only so far) competition was the overhead of keeping things clean without the efficiency of a sink and running water. I filled a Gatorade cooler full of water and put it in the grassy area in my spot and used that to rinse hands/knives/etc and it worked well enough, but I'm interested what others do to lessen the overhead of cleaning and sanitation.

I built this setup.. Can no longer get the single small drawer part and could not find stem casters larger than 5 inch that fit the legs on the bakers rack..

That being said it is easy to simply take out whole drawers , roll the rack and then replace the drawers.. If you are careful not to over do it you can get most everything into one rack set up..I sometimes find it easier to work from the drawers alone..

The challenge I found when doing my first (and only so far) competition was the overhead of keeping things clean without the efficiency of a sink and running water. I filled a Gatorade cooler full of water and put it in the grassy area in my spot and used that to rinse hands/knives/etc and it worked well enough, but I'm interested what others do to lessen the overhead of cleaning and sanitation.

If you really want to get into it.. Try this

http://www.feelfantastic.biz/sink-build.html

I am working on something smaller

We use this with a 5 gallon bucket under the drain. Works great, super portable!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GI0RF0Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1519920890&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=fish+table&dpPl=1&dpID=4128H5myZLL&ref=plSrch

We use a camping water heater powered by mini propane tanks: https://smile.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-...922123&sr=8-22&keywords=propane+camping+water

Fill up two 5 gallon buckets of water for the source and use a plastic bus tub as the sink. Empty the tub of the dirty water once things are washed.

The heater, the tub, and a towel for drying all fit pretty well on a 4' fold up table. Feels good to have everything cleaned before you head home Saturday afternoon. No need to do any more dishes after the comp.

Ive been on the same mission as you lately. I'm in a 7x14 that gets really cramped for cooking and camping. With just me and my young son, I need to get a lot more efficient with my time and space.

I took Blanton's advice in the offseason and got a 5' SS table with bottom shelf. I got one of the Sterilite wide 5 drawer tower and one of the 3 drawer and combined them into two 4 drawer totes that fit perfectly under the table. Also picked up three of the 22" speed rails on webstaurantstore.com - two for holding rubs and one for my roll of foil. I'm also working on fabbing some folding bunks like these:
http://smokerbuilder.com/forums/download/file.php?id=23992&mode=view

Ive been on the same mission as you lately. I'm in a 7x14 that gets really cramped for cooking and camping. With just me and my young son, I need to get a lot more efficient with my time and space.

I took Blanton's advice in the offseason and got a 5' SS table with bottom shelf. I got one of the Sterilite wide 5 drawer tower and one of the 3 drawer and combined them into two 4 drawer totes that fit perfectly under the table. Also picked up three of the 22" speed rails on webstaurantstore.com - two for holding rubs and one for my roll of foil. I'm also working on fabbing some folding bunks like these:
http://smokerbuilder.com/forums/download/file.php?id=23992&mode=view

Stop by my trailer this weekend and I will show you how I put together my bunks. Did it for under $200 and they are strong enough to hold E-Cig.

I am also very interested to hear how folks with more experience have condensed and optimized their storage and workflow.

I have a 6' x 12' single axle trailer that needs to haul 4 Gateway Drums. Total load capacity is like 1300 pounds and the 4 drums are probably 360 pounds of it.

In bad weather I need to work in the trailer otherwise I'm out under two EZ Ups tents. I also mostly cook alone so minimizing what I need to deal with is a constant learning process. I use a Craftsman rolling tool chest for cookware like injectors knives etc. I was planning on a microwave to heat sauces since I no longer would need pots. Just heat the plastic container.

I'm sure a pro could cut out at least half of what I haul around.

For a sink, I use a 5gal beverage cooler to hold hot water, run water with tubing through a marine foot pump, to pump the water to a laundry sink, that drains into 5 gal bucket. I've attached a soap and paper towel dispensers to it. Had to attach the sink base to a couple 2x4s for weight to counter the foot pump. Works well, and I have a 2nd water cooler for a backup of hot water during turn ins and for cleanup afterwards. I hate running out of hot water with 5 or 6 things left and having to do dishes when I got home. It's completely portable, doesn't need electricity or running water. I use a propane campstove to heat up the water in a 7gal kettle.

Back