The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   UDS Brisket (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110201)

gaspipe1 07-01-2011 08:39 PM

UDS Brisket

1 Attachment(s)
Ok as I mentioned before ( http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=108136) I am going to attempt my 1st brisket on my UDS. I fallowed the recipe in the video except for 3 things.
1. My brisket is 11.63 lbs (butcher trimmed it up for me)
2. My rub ratio is 75% Pepper and 25% Kosher salt
3. I used french's mustard to coat the beef before I applied the rub.

8PM added the brisket to my smoker, grate temp was 300*. Meat temp was 55*. (Can it be that in 90 min at 300* my meat temp went from 55 to 150*?) I think I have my probe in bad.

Will remove the brisket after 12 hours and wrap in butcher paper then add it for another 2 hours.

Does anyone see something I am doing wrong? Please let me know b4 I ruin a party.. lol

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 07-01-2011 08:59 PM

Well, time can vary pretty widely from brisket to brisket. At 300 degrees I suspect you will get it probe tender quite a bit sooner than 12 hours. It should start to get close to ready to take up somewhere around the 195 internal temperature mark.

When it is probe tender in the flat, take to off, wrap in the butcher paper, and then place in a pre-heated cooler To rest for a minimum of two hours wrapped in towels with all voids in the cooler filled.

At least that is what I would do.

Good luck, relax and enjoy.

gaspipe1 07-01-2011 10:14 PM

well this is wierd.. it's 11pm and been cooking my brisket for 3 hours at 300* grate temp and the internal temp is now 182*. The probe def. did not go in like "budha". I will try and wake up at 7AM (11 hour cook time) to see about wrapping it in butchers paper. I have about 20 hungry farkers coming tmrw... Please don't make me have to order famous dave's and lie. :tape:

caliking 07-01-2011 10:27 PM

If your temp is correct, I think your brisket will be done way before 7am. if you think your probe is screwy can you check with another thermo, or a quick calibration check with boiling water or an ice-water bath?

Me thinks you will be in trouble if you don't check it until 7am.

gaspipe1 07-01-2011 10:30 PM

I am using a Maverick dual probe. I also used an (cheap) instant read which read 180* too. Can a brisket go from 55 to 185 in less then 4 hours cooking at 300*?

Perhaps I shud lower it to 250 or 275* Since the party starts at 3pm?

txschutte 07-01-2011 10:36 PM

Yes, it can jump that high. However, wait a bit. That thing will drop almost 20 degrees anytime now, and crawl up in temps. I give it another 4 hours, 5 tops.

sandiegobbq 07-01-2011 10:42 PM

I agree with the others and don't go asleep yet.
I have had briskets cook very fast at higher temps.
Every brisket is different though some take a long time,
some are quick.

When the probe goes in like butter you are done.

When will that happen?

Only the brisket knows for sure.

Cmikes 07-01-2011 11:45 PM

Don't go to sleep. I cook my briskets at 300 degrees for competitions and it usually only takes about 8-9 hours. But I'll wrap it will foil for a couple of hours.

Ken V 07-02-2011 12:48 AM

When I cook hot and fast at 300 in my stumps it takes about 6 hours to hit 200+. I do wrap at the 2 hour mark when it hits 160ish. I couldn't imagine what that brisket will be like after 12 hours at 300.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

gaspipe1 07-02-2011 04:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well it's 5AM and seems the fire went down.. from 300 dwn to 225*. My internal temp was 195* so I took the brisket off and the probe went in with very little resistance. I think once it broke the bark it slid right in.

I wrapped the flat in paper and have it in a cooler. Now the point is back on and I re-touched it w/pepper & salt rub on the part where the fat was in between the two muscles. At 225-250* for another 2 hours I guess to make burnt ends. I didn't chop it up I left it whole and no sauce for now.

Here is the million dollar question.... What da fark do I do know, the party is at 3pm. I can't leave it in the cooler for 10 hours..

Once again, another poor preparation at a brisket attempt. :tsk:

tmehlhorn 07-02-2011 05:23 AM

timing, timing, timng:doh:. Been there. If it were me that much time i would probably prep my big slow cooker i have, small amount of liquid in with it and set it about 170 and let it sit till party.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 07-02-2011 05:45 AM

I would cool it down quickly and reheat it before serving. If you try to hold it that long it will be too cold. If you put it back on heat it will be overcooked.

Reheating will work out well and you can relax. We have all been right where you are.

Great job on the brisket. It looks like it is gonna blow their sox off.

gaspipe1 07-02-2011 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke (Post 1694514)
I would cool it down quickly and reheat it before serving. If you try to hold it that long it will be too cold. If you put it back on heat it will be overcooked.

Reheating will work out well and you can relax. We have all been right where you are.

Great job on the brisket. It looks like it is gonna blow their sox off.

You think I should put it in the fridge and then heat it up before the guests come?

I plan on maken 3 racks of beef ribs. So that can work out well. I can start the ribs at 9AM takes 3.5 hours

While the ribs sit in the cooler for 2 hours I can reheat the brisket.. How long and at what temp do you think?

Thanks again for all the help

tmehlhorn 07-02-2011 06:24 AM

Hesmells makes a good point and this would save you some time. As far as reheating, you got all the smoke and bbq flavor your gonna get. I would reheat in the oven, pan it foil it tight so it doesnt dry out. Probably 325. Time depends on size and thickness, use thermo. Prob at least 60 min though.

Cook 07-02-2011 04:24 PM

I'd keep it warm instead of reheating. That's just me.