The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   KCBS SCORE revisions (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173065)

Pig Headed 10-13-2013 11:24 AM

KCBS SCORE revisions

Does this mean we will no longer be able to see table info on the score sheets? This is from the OCT kwik notes.

KCBS Score Committee
Work has begun on the update to Score.
Eleven points in the update, making it easier for edit, masking table, list name of a category are just some of the changes.

The committee should be able to start testing the new version in five weeks

MikeJ65 10-13-2013 11:44 AM

Hopefully that just means not showing the original table number to preserve the double blind aspect. I would like to still be able to see the other teams that were on my table and the scores.

In any case, five weeks on KCBS Score usually means 2 years.

markG 10-13-2013 12:37 PM

I actually sent a suggestion about double blinding judges tables. Competitors can sort of whittle down who the judges are pretty easily with a little detective work. Double blinding the tables will help avoid that, I hope. That said, I would love to know who the judges have been at Table 2 at about 4 comps this year! :)

Pig Headed 10-13-2013 01:53 PM

I personally don't care who the judges are. But would like to be able to see who was at my table.

bbq.tom 10-13-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pig Headed (Post 2656790)
I personally don't care who the judges are. But would like to be able to see who was at my table.

I personally don't care who the cook teams are. But would like to see how my scores as a judge compared to the other judges at my table.

Diva 10-14-2013 12:29 PM

I emailed. If that's the case that is really gonna piss me off. I sent a letter last month (below). If THAT's the way they're going to handle it, I don't know what I may say next.

JUDGING AREA

I am writing to express my concern regarding a situation in the judging area that I feel is becoming more prevalent, that being more judges seated to judge than are necessary for a contest. KCBS judging procedures were created in a way that six judges at any given table are to judge six entries. While some specific situations require for a slight variance in this procedure, there are contests that seat more judges than necessary, there by spread category entries across even more table. Statistically, this situation causes the judging to deviate from the norm and creates abnormalities in the judging and ultimately the outcome of the contest.

While it is the contest organizer's responsibility to enlist the judges, it is equally the responsibility of the Contest Representative's to insure there are the proper number of tables in the judging area. My recent critiques address this growing concern and now I feel it is time for the issue to be addressed by the Kansas City Barbeque Society Board of Directors. There has always been the element of luck involved in doing well at a barbecue contest. Diluting the judging only adds to this element of luck. This situation needs to be addressed. Let's get back to judging barbecue the way the system was designed.

Stephanie Wilson
TheSlabs.com

musicmanryann 10-14-2013 12:32 PM

Good work Steph. When did you email? Have you heard back?

Diva 10-14-2013 12:43 PM

I emailed 9/27. I heard back from Candy and Wayne.
Then, I read this in the agenda and wondered if it was even going to be discussed:

Is the number of entries to be allocated per table need to be addressed? With no comparison between entries, my opinion is that 4, 6 or 8 entries on a table shouldn't make a difference in scoring since each entry should be judged on its own merits. As most know, the at least 4 entries opinion was placed so that as many judges as possible could be seated.

I haven't had time to listen to the mp3, YET, but, I read this in the Quick Notes:

Carolyn will find out how much it will cost to have a statistical analysis done if the score skewed, due to judges judging 4 boxes or 6 boxes.

Judging 4 boxes may judge higher, Judging 7 to 8 boxes may judge down.
It is agreed that 5 to 6 is the best amount.

What is better to have 6 CBJ judges judging 5 boxes or having 2 CBJ 4 people pulled off the sidewalk to judge 6 boxes.

Steve concerns that there might be more numbering errors due to more cards. Don, do not believe it won’t happen due to if there are 36 team, still only 36 entries that have to be keyed in.

Wayne as reps we are very cautious about keying errors, we do audits.

At least they read the letter and brought it up. They were busy people that night:

Mark Simmons
Strategic Planning

The strategic planning committee moves that KCBS purchases the building they now occupy for the appraised price of $80,000
Tana second

Roll call vote: 9 say aye, 2 opposed (Farrin, Stith)
Motion Passes

EDIT
Just heard back from Candy>

Basically hiding the real table number. Info will still be there.

SOB 10-14-2013 02:10 PM

Good to know