The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   question on pork loin (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87569)

Ken V 06-29-2010 09:41 PM

question on pork loin

In Aug. I am doing the food for out DU banquet. Last year I did 1 meat and 3 sides(pulled pork, potato salad, beans and cole slaw).
I threw the idea of going with 2 meats this year, pulled pork and thinly sliced pork loin for sandwiches.
I use soezzys calc. but there is nothing on there for pork loin. Im pretty sure the yield is pretty high but not sure how to figure out.
We are doing an all you can eat this year again, we plan on 150 but last year I cooked for 225 and it came out damn close.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Ford 06-30-2010 06:55 AM

pork loin yield if full loin cut in half for cooking is almost 100% so just use the raw weight and add 5% to be safe.

Bbq Bubba 06-30-2010 09:22 AM

I agree with ford.

Just a thought. If your serving 150 and cooking for 225 and almost running out, your calculations are way off. :confused:

theflints01 06-30-2010 01:25 PM

I'd suggest trying the TK method pork loin in the recipe section, no reason to slice it thin when it's that tender. The loin and the pork butt do have similar flavors, maybe do a different meat with the loin like chopped beef shoulder (or Duck!).

Ken V 06-30-2010 04:34 PM

Bubba, it's an all you can eat dinner....lots of duck and goose hunters with free beer in their gut. I thought padding it by 75 people for the all you could eat was o.k.
I ended up with 1 1/2 butts left over last year....I thought I figured pretty close????:confused:

Bbq Bubba 06-30-2010 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken V (Post 1324887)
Bubba, it's an all you can eat dinner....lots of duck and goose hunters with free beer in their gut. I thought padding it by 75 people for the all you could eat was o.k.
I ended up with 1 1/2 butts left over last year....I thought I figured pretty close????:confused:

If thats how you figured it, then your pretty good! :becky:

Ken V 06-30-2010 06:30 PM

I wasnt really sure how to figure it, I just happened to come out smelling like a rose.
Is there a way your suppose to figure an all you can eat deal when you know actual numbers?

luke duke 07-01-2010 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken V (Post 1324969)
Is there a way your suppose to figure an all you can eat deal when you know actual numbers?

I think that you figured it out. Add 50%.