• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Jenks, Oklahoma (Oct 24-25)

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Anybody familiar with this event? I think it said third annual but the Web site is seriously lacking in content (a lot of "coming soon" even though the event is coming sooner - Okie humor? :lol:)

I was just looking for an alternative in case Kurzweil's doesn't make it... would hate to see that happen because Kurzweil's is 20 minutes from the house. Jenks is 4 hours. :shock: But I got two aging briskets already that need to see a comp. :wink:

I'm not meaning to sound like a jerk...if Kurzweils doesn't make it? When Glasgow, MO started their contest (I think it was 4 years ago), everybody was 'waiting to see if they'd make it'. Now, how in the hell is a contest going to make it if people bail on it? We went to Glasgow that year, towns people made it 15 teams, the next year, over 25, it's grown every year. Sure, going to a 25 team contest would be beneficial to whomever won, but, what if some dude gets loaded and gets DQ'd and then theres 24? Did you still have a good time? Did you enjoy cooking it and giving it your all? Just a little food for thought.

BTW, it's Jenks 3rd year.

I'm not meaning to sound like a jerk...if Kurzweils doesn't make it? When Glasgow, MO started their contest (I think it was 4 years ago), everybody was 'waiting to see if they'd make it'. Now, how in the hell is a contest going to make it if people bail on it? We went to Glasgow that year, towns people made it 15 teams, the next year, over 25, it's grown every year. Sure, going to a 25 team contest would be beneficial to whomever won, but, what if some dude gets loaded and gets DQ'd and then theres 24? Did you still have a good time? Did you enjoy cooking it and giving it your all? Just a little food for thought.

BTW, it's Jenks 3rd year.

Diva I hope I do not come across as a jerk but a contest 4 years getting participation versus a contest today, there is no comparison. People are tight on money today and if they are going to spend it on a competition, they want to make sure they have a chance to win some prize money to help cover there costs. If they can parlay that into a GC and win more and get a draw to the Jack for next year that is more of a plus. I totally agree we need to suppport these competitions at the end of the year but I think right now teams are looking for ways to cover there costs. Just my 2 cents!

No, man, not at all. I see your point as well, and I see Jeffs too. It's all good.

I didn't mean to come across as negative on Chris's gig, Steph. I'm just thinking that if he canceled it, where would I go? I see contests canceled on the KCBS site every so often and realize it's always a possibility if the organizer doesn't get teams. The whole point of this thread was to find a place to compete in the event Garden City didn't go.

Totally understandable. I seriously doubt that Chris would cancel it, especially after the Chillicothe debacle. Wherever you go, have a great time, cook well and I'll be cheering for you from the Holler.

Jenks will be our first competition. From what everyone has said it is a great event. It is held right on the Arkansas River and in front of one of the most beautiful and popular shopping centers in the Tulsa area. I'm sure there are some more okies out there that can give you more information. :p

Jenks will be our first competition. From what everyone has said it is a great event. It is held right on the Arkansas River and in front of one of the most beautiful and popular shopping centers in the Tulsa area. I'm sure there are some more okies out there that can give you more information. :p

Joshua, thanks for the info. If I came down, I'd just need to be sure to bring Head Country sauce, huh? :twisted:

Funny thing, I've lived here for a few years now and have never really liked it. I guess growing up around KC exposed me to too many good sauces. But, you are right, there are people down here that swear by it!

The parking area is very tight (they put you on the grass next to the shopping center and the river) so if you have a bigger rig, check with the organizer. They had a problem first year with power, someone was overloading the circuits and kept tripping the breaker.

Pretty good event, they're trying to improve. I've judged there but hope to compete next week.

I think they had 41 teams last year. Twin Oaks won.

Russ

Thanks for the info Russ. Look forward to meeting you next weekend!

Hopefully I'll know by Monday which way I'm going. This is kind of intriguing to take off on a road trip especially since I still don't have a spare tire. LOL!

Back