• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pulled Beef info...to stop a 'jacking

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
In response to a question about how to do pulled beef, that was thread jacked into another thread...oh the horror :becky:

Pulled beef can be made with either brisket or chuck. I prefer to use chuck. It is really not a lot different than making pulled pork, you take the chunk of meat, rub it with anything from salt and pepper, to some fancy conconction and cook it until it shreds easily. There are lots of permutations, from that point on, for making it into a myriad of dishes.

My normal process...

1. I like to run my UDS around 280F or so, largely because that is where it likes to settle in, no matter what I do. Get it fired up and stabilized. I find even at this heat, chuck roasts can be remarkably stubborn.

2. I will usually cook the chuck for 2 hours with no pan or covering, or until the color look about where I want. It is rarely less than 2 hours. This is done directly on the grate. Unlike brisket, where I go cooler for the first hour to try and get a nice smoke ring, with a chuck, put the spurs on from the get go.

3. Once the color is right, I like to pan and foil the chuck, with 1/2 cup of jus, stock or even water (some use beer). I tightly foil the pan, to speed things up. Now, I don't always do this, cause sometimes, I want to cook it all the way on the grate, I get a little dryer product. which I prefer for things like tacos.

4. I have had poor results with probing a chuck, so I use a fork and push it in and twist, if the fibers of the meat split easily, then I pull it. Often, this is not until the meat is 210F or more. You have to be patient. Foiled, it can be 4 houors, unfoiled, you could easily be looking at more than 6 hours.

Pulled chuck, cooked without panning...
chuckieshreds.jpg

MMM pulled chuck. I do it roughly the same, 3 or 4 hours uncovered, then the rest of its time just foiled with nothing added. Little longer cook time than PP but its worth it.

Once you have foiled the brisket, is there any reason to not crank up the heat and get it done? :decision:

jon

That is what I do, once I foil or pan I turn the heat up to 325 or so on my Traeger. When it is foiled all I am doing is finishing the cook, but I don't want it so hot that it scorches the bottom of the pan so I don't go any higher than 325.

Thanks Bob, the question really comes down to chuck or brisket. I honestly can't tell you which I prefer for taste. It's usually the one I made last. I do find chuck much more forgiving though.

(I just realized this is Q-talk. What am I doing here?)

Chuck > Pulled Pork in this house. As I can get chuck (we bescribe it here as being part of the shoulder) for the same price as a pork shoulder I always pick chuck.

I do like the foil method very much, but I still did it low and slow with briquettes and hickory, only the last 20 degrees celcius it was in the foil. So its longer on the Q unfoiled than foiled. I go till 88 - 90 degrees celcius with it. Think ill next time us this method!

Some pics;

Foto-H8HSCMAA-G.jpg

2,5 kilo's of chuck

Foto-ONOEYVWV-G.jpg

rubbeb with mustard and Worcester Sauce first, then S&P, brown castersuggar, garlic and onion powder and sweet paprica

Foto-V4TPIOEJ-G.jpg

End result, nicest bark I achieved was the first time!

Foto-BQONM6YM-G.jpg

This was only part of it, we ate with 5 ppl of it and where completly stuffed including some ciabatta bread and potatosalad.

landarc's step-by-step is great !!!
Thank You for that !!!!

I love pulled beef, maybe even more than PPork, which is hard to beat.......

I've also used clod (which is cousin to chuck) ~~>
clodribszukes032.jpg

clodribszukes052.jpg

Injected cheater to keep the moisture level up & garlic cloves stabbed all over a various depths

Or, tri-tip ~~~>
MemorialsJuly2012031-1.jpg

MemorialsJuly2012043-1.jpg

MMmmmmm............Beef flavored soft spagetti........

MemorialsJuly2012044.jpg

tri-tip is my favorite & is actually less expensive than chuck in these parts.....if youi watch for specials..........

Looks heavier to me. Unfortunally impossible to get that kind of cut her, dont think a butcher will supply it to.

If you can get "chuck roast" you maybe can get the whole piece....

A clod, cut to steak or small roast size may be called a cross-rib roast.....

Just ask if you can get the whole thing, uncut or a large portion.....

That clod was the small end of a 28#'r.............:grin:

Here's how it began, the heart & side pieces, all done together ~~~>
clodribszukes013.jpg

Back