Pork Loin suggestions needed...

owen299

Reaction score
Had to work today...wife said she would pick up someting to smoke (ribs or chicken) came home with a 5 lb boneless pork loin. Need a little help ?Never done one before (butts ...no problem) looks like it will be really lean (dry).
What do ya think:confused:...bacon wrap or some other secret

Season with salt and pepper or whatever you got.

Smoke at 225 degrees until it reaches 135/140 degrees internal. Remove and rest for 20 minutes tented with foil.

Slice and enjoy.

I've suffered through dry loin for longer than I care to share. Finally departed from the "tried & true" to do my own thing. I've learned that if you run it up to 130* foil with either apple or chicken then run it up to 150-152 you will get something very moist.

I use, believe it or not, McKormick's Salmon seasoning with apple juice or a cajun seasoning with chicken stock. Either one of them will make a fabulous gravy for smashed taters.

I've done several 10 - 12 pounders cut in half. seasoned as above & combined the juices for the best of results. Kinda made me cross-eyed for a minute it was so good!

I agree with the 225 - 250 degree temps. I use pecan & cherry in a smoker box.

I injected one this past winter, turned out pretty good.
I've also 'stuffed' them quite a bit.

Just butterly it out, or "unroll" it making it about 1/2" or so thick, keep butterflying until it's all layed out like a sheet, make a paste with herbs and spices, then roll it all back up, tie it up and smoke it that way. Tasty!! Here's a video that better demonstrates that....
YouTube - ‪Stuffed Pork Loin Recipe : How to Prep Meat for Stuffed Pork Loin‬‏

I've done a maple, brown sugar kind of thing and made up a tapenade too, which was farkin awesome!

Here's a recipe for a tapenade....
http://homecooking.about.com/od/saladrecipes/r/blcon106.htm

Good luck man....:thumb:

I like to brine mine to keep it moist, the hit it with some herb de provence. I've also "unrolled" it and made one filled with cranberries, apples, and pecans but for me the simple one wins.

I also think as a lean cut of meat its better done hot and fast than slow and low. I cook it indirect in the hot kettle until it hits about 120, then sear it. My goal temp when I'm done searing it is 135, it'll coast to 140 while resting. If its not a little pink in the middle still, I overcooked it.

Last edited:
Season with salt and pepper or whatever you got.

Smoke at 225 degrees until it reaches 135/140 degrees internal. Remove and rest for 20 minutes tented with foil.

Slice and enjoy.
What he said for sure :thumb:.

I like to brine mine to keep it moist, the hit it with some herb de provence. I've always "unrolled" it and made one filled with cranberries, apples, and pecans but for me the simple one wins.

I also think as a lean cut of meat its better done hot and fast than slow and low. I cook it indirect in the hot kettle until it hits about 120, then sear it. My goal temp when I'm done searing it is 135, it'll coast to 140 while resting. If its not a little pink in the middle still, I overcooked it.

What he said is what I've done. I've found when cooking loins low and slow, the texture of the meat is a bit rubbery. 300-325 for me on loins, and I've never had one turn out nice if it was cooked past 145, typically, I pull them at 140, wrap and rest for an hour, the temp will climb a bit more, and the end result is heavenly.

I always brine pork loins, and they come out with so much juice compared to not brining. If you don't have time, covering the top with bacon helps a little. Take it off when the middle reaches 135, it will cook from residual heat when you pull it off and go up another 5-10 degrees.

Back