Wings for dissapointing sunday football

Fake Farmer

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Took my first shot at wings, and pretty happy with the way they turned out.
I'm a Redskins fan since the day I was born. I was born on a Sunday and my parents ordered a pizza in the hospital and watched the Skins game. Bad loss, but here's what I could control today....

Marinated drums and wings in Wishbone Italian dressing about 4 hours before cook to soak in.
image_zpsde3451a2.jpg

image_zps4ade6573.jpg

Seasoned with S&P and bit of garlic powder. Then on the grill about 325-350.
image_zps4ecec52e.jpg

About 30 minutes in, I flipped them.
image_zpsf3977f96.jpg

Followed this recipe for a Wings Sauce. Smokey and delicous. Hot, but not too hot that you dont know you're eating chicken. I should have tossed all wings in this right before they hit the plate. Got distracted and just slapped it on the wings for the last few minutes on the grill.
http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2011/02/finger-stickin-chicken-sauce.html
image_zpsd79eecf9.jpg

image_zpsf7198c1e.jpg

Finishing up the wings while I load on the onions to simmer and soften up a bit.
image_zpsd6e0f066.jpg

image_zps73cd45f8.jpg

Last few onions coming off the CI. Had to move it to the gas grill for time and a few other reasons.
image_zpsc0ad7c3f.jpg

Plated...and a few minutes later.
image_zpsbb2e49b6.jpg

image_zpsededc45b.jpg

I know this is a A LOT of pics just for some wings. I got a lot of help from a lot of people here and elsewhere. Thanks for sharing knowledge! My wife eats wings but they need to be HER WAY.....sure some of you can relate to these kind of cooks. She wants CRISPY, fat rendered spicy and juicy. Not like restaurant wings that are (on average) a bit fatty, flash fried and lack flavor.

She was ecstatic! Raved about them. We already are planning another batch in the future with a few adjustments to strive for perfection. :wink: Thanks for looking.

Looks good from here.

I need to do some wings on the uds.

Yep, that is the number one reason for great food on Sunday...it is always there for you

Good looking chicken. Better yet, you and the wife are already talking about how to do it better next time. That's a win to me.

Great looking wings! I'm a Skins fan too - yuck. But the losses are tempered by good Q!

Not a disappointing day for me! :p
images

Wangs look good though.

Wow looks great!

Is this italian dressing marinade a popular thing? First I heard of it.

Those look very nice and don't apologize for the photos. I've seen that sauce before as well - now I know what I'm going to try it on.

Should taste even better for a Broncos game! :p

Looks delicious!!!!
I really wanted your team to win last Sunday.

SmokinM,
Looking good. Did you cook indirect the whole way?
I did do the entire cook indirect. The idea was that I'd leave it all indirect and have some time to be upstairs watching the game. Didnt really work out that way, but that's life. I think next time I'd do 40 minutes indirect and about 20 direct flipping and moving the whole time for super crispy skin.

SkinnyVinny,
Wow looks great!
Is this italian dressing marinade a popular thing? First I heard of it.

Thanks for the good words. I don't know if this is "popular", but it is the easiest way I have to get a nice marinade on the chicken. I do the same for whole chicken. It's not a brine, but the saltiness and seasoning of Italian Dressing does a solid job. On my whole chickens I rub it under the skin ect.
I found some amazing marinades and preps for wings, but just didnt happen this time.

I was a bit dissapointed in crispiness, but my wife was stoked about the crispy ends and crunch in each wing. The thing that did it for me was the tenderness. All that fattiness that you can find in chicken....all melted away. Each wing peeled apart easily and you could slide the meat off the bone. When I was prepping about 18 wings/drums, I thought "this is WAY too much for 2 of us". These arent restaurant size wings.
Few beers later....we mashed up some delicious wings! They ain't perfect, but I'll try and try again :) thanks for all the encouragement and hints.

Back