The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Lauri, MO Contest (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12834)

MoKanMeathead 08-02-2005 12:04 PM

Lauri, MO Contest

Any of you MoFo Brothers cooking in Laurie this coming weekend? If you are come look us up and have a Margarita and an ABT. :twisted:

Don't know our spot number but we are over by the little creek where they have the duck races.

Solidkick 08-02-2005 12:12 PM

RE: Lauri, MO Contest

I know Skip, Chick-n-Pig BBQ, is going, and I think Jay's Team Q team will be there as well.

Last I heard, 80 teams this year.......Laurie is becoming a very reputable contest....

spicewine 08-02-2005 12:45 PM

Can't make it this year :cry: It is a good contest but last year they refused to have the awards ceramony untill all of their raffle tickets were sold and then all of their T-Shirts and then all of the previous years T-Shirts. They held up the awards by about an hour and a half. The first place winner in the desert category did not even turn in a desert :shock: But we WALKED 3 times and it was a good day.

Jeff_in_KC 08-02-2005 01:03 PM

Sounds like a contest where entries could end up saying "Screw 'em" if it happens again! That's no way to run a contest. It is a way to get a bad rep as aa contest organizer if you ask me.

MoKanMeathead 08-02-2005 02:24 PM

Quote:

Can't make it this year
Jay - I was hoping that Team Q would be there. I remember the hold up in the awards ceremony - I think I paid $20 for their last two aprons just to get the awards started. Other than that it has always been a great contest - one of the "must dos" for our team.

Usually a lot of big names there - I guess one less this year without Team Q.

spicewine 08-02-2005 09:08 PM

God Bless Ya Brother for helping to speed up my trip home!! Otherwise it is a good contest and we will be back next year!! I will miss the "Machine" but will send as much MOFO MOJO your way as possible!! Good luck MEAT!! We will MEAT AGAIN!!

Rumor has it there will be 80 teams this year at this event?????

Spice----AKA----Team Q

spicewine 08-02-2005 09:11 PM

Quote:

I guess one less this year without Team Q.
ONE LESS MAT FOR EVERYONE TO WIPE THEIR FEET ON MOD :lol:

Jeff_in_KC 08-02-2005 10:33 PM

So guys, what's the Laurie contest like? Good facilities, well organized, etc.? I'm interested for next year. Will probably pick one contest per month to do.

Wayne, too last minute for me to visit Laurie this weekend but if I don't enter the Bass Pro contest Sept. 9-10, I'll drop by to visit you in Blue Springs. Might even volunteer to help out if you could use the help!

MoKanMeathead 08-03-2005 08:26 AM

Quote:

So guys, what's the Laurie contest like?
The Laurie contest has always been a good contest. The volunteers are fun and really take care of the teams. Excellent facilities, grass sites, most with lots of shade (some with none). Good local turn-out for the Friday night stuff going on. Price includes Saturday night stay - lots of adult entertainment at the lake.

Quote:

Wayne, too last minute for me to visit Laurie this weekend but if I don't enter the Bass Pro contest Sept. 9-10, I'll drop by to visit you in Blue Springs. Might even volunteer to help out if you could use the help!
We usually have lots of help but if it works for you you can definately come and hang with us at Blue Springs. Like I told ya we can show you what not to do, and every once in a while we stumble on the right thing.

parrothead 08-07-2005 09:36 AM

Chicken
1. Ribs 4 U
2. The Oinks
3. Casual Smokers
4. Beaux Hog
5. Smokin Roys
6. Ray J S Bar B Que
7. Shawhan Beer Bourbon...
8. Twin Oak
9. Bayou Style BBQ
10. Mokan Meatheads

Ribs
1. Munchin Hogs at the Hilton
2. Pig Newton
3. Bare Bones BBQ Team
4. Squeal of Approval
5. Daniels Bar B Que
6. Four Men and a Pig
7. Rubbed Raw BBQ
8. QSS Smokin
9. Spencers Get Outta My Pit
10. Smokin R's

Pork
1. Boys Night Out
2. Rabbit Gulch Farm Cookers
3. Smokin R's
4. Muchin Hogs at the Hilton
5. Sparkle Plenty
6. Rubbed Raw BBQ
7. Bare Bones BBQ
8. KC Que Crew
9. Smokin Roys
10. The Meatrix (Yours Truly)

Brisket
1. Twin Oaks
2. Smokin Guns
3. Bullheaded Smokers
4. Sparkle Plenty
5. Mad Hogs and an Englishman
6. Rubbed Raw BBQ
7. QSS Smokers
8. KC Que Crew
9. Mullet Brothers BBQ

Overall

Third Muchin Hogs at the Hilton

Reserve Smokin R's

Grand Twin Oaks

Jeff_in_KC 08-07-2005 05:51 PM

Are any of these Brethren that we need to congratulate besides Wayne?

Congrats on your chicken placing 10th, Wayne!

Solidkick 08-07-2005 09:22 PM

A brother in action....note the 'rita machine on the left.....
Congrats on the chicken score!

Jeff_in_KC 08-07-2005 10:03 PM

Dang, that looks like a nice area for a contest! Lots of shade compared to Boone County Fair! Thanks for the picture, Kick! Wish I could have gone but weekend plans prohibited it.

MoKanMeathead 08-08-2005 08:38 AM

Thanks! My buddy Greg from Ribs 4 U took taht pic. I cooked with Greg at Great Bend earlier in the year. Cooked chicken for him. You will notice that he took 1st in chicken!! Maybe I showed too much. Actually it was all him, he took some of what I did and practiced a couple of times and ened up 1st. His first 1st!!!

Funny story - when they called 1st in ribs the lady kind of stumbled with the name but finally ended up spitting out MoKan Meatheads - we went nuts as we don't get many calls in ribs. Bob - our rib guy goes down and gets the ribbon and the check and is so excited that he is shaking. About 10 minutes later they ask if the guy that got the 1st in ribs can come back down with the check. Turns out it wasn't us and he had to give the check and the ribbon back. Talk about a short roller coaster ride!! Ended up 17th in ribs - not bad out of 78 really good teams.

The_Kapn 08-08-2005 09:32 AM

Wayne--great job!

Proud of you--Way to go!

TIM

Jeff_in_KC 08-08-2005 11:04 AM

Ouch! That isn't a funny story at all, Wayne! Talk about jerking the rug out from under your party!

spicewine 08-08-2005 04:03 PM

I heard alot of horror stories that came out of Laurie last weekend. I can't see how they draw such a large crowd with all of the bungling that goes on! Was the awards ceremony delayed 2 hours again???

MoKanMeathead 08-08-2005 04:33 PM

Quote:

Was the awards ceremony delayed 2 hours again???
The ceremony started on time but they had a lot of "stuff" going on prior to the actual awards. They got kids and then team captains up to hula hoop. You haven't lived until you have seen my fat ass try to hula hoop!!! They also did not have the score sheets ready after the awards - all they had were the individual judges scores. Had to wait about an hour aftrer the awards to get the score sheets and then most of them are very difficult to read - which is probably why the screwed up the 1st place ribs.

I heard they had a hard time getting enough volunteers. The ones they had did an excellent job - just wasn't enough of them.

Not having the score sheets seems to be a recurring problem this year. The last three contests I have been at they either had to mail the scores to us or they were late. I like the instant feed back - good or bad.

Jeff_in_KC 08-08-2005 07:46 PM

Summer time at LOZ... you'd think there would be plenty o' people for volunteer work. How many years has this contest been going on? Seems like the organizers need a bit more organization. Hula hoop, my ass! I'm not doing that if I cook that one next year! LOL!