You Chicago area guys

Lake Dogs

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I'll hand it to you: You certainly CAN cook. LOADS of evidence here.

Now, if we (southerners) can only teach you WHAT to cook! Your taste
buds are aweful and messed up!!!

I'll hand it to you: You certainly CAN cook. LOADS of evidence here.

Now, if we (southerners) can only teach you WHAT to cook! Your taste
buds are aweful and messed up!!!

Ummm... OK...

I'll bite.

What should we be cooking?

And what brought this up?

And why is it in Q-Talk? :rolleyes:

:)

Ok, could be elsewhere, banished to the netherland of Woodpile...

I'm definitely pokin' fun at y'all. Sweet cornbread; good gosh!!! <sigh>

Ummm... OK...

I'll bite.

What should we be cooking?

And what brought this up?

And why is it in Q-Talk? :rolleyes:

Because us Good Ol' Boys thought we'd share some killer REAL recipes with you Cooks of Northern Agression...

Iffen you ask kindly that is.

Oh, AND (and most importantly), T H A N K Y O U.

You know why. Your efforts make this place great.

Because us Good Ol' Boys thought we'd share some killer REAL recipes with you Cooks of Northern Agression...

Iffen you ask kindly that is.

Actually, I would love some authentic southern recipes! :pray:

Was that kindly enough?

Maybe that's it Guerry! We need a thread or two for classic, traditional southern comfort food recipes that shouldn't be messed with. Corn bread is definitely towards the top. Saiko's Brunswick stew rocks the house. I'll get one in there for fried corn (figure if nothing else Google will get swamped with searches for "what is fried corn"). Collards. Lets bring our soul food brothers in here. Fried Chicken IS suthun'.

Maybe that's it Guerry! We need a thread or two for classic, traditional southern comfort food recipes that shouldn't be messed with. Corn bread is definitely towards the top. Saiko's Brunswick stew rocks the house. I'll get one in there for fried corn (figure if nothing else Google will get swamped with searches for "what is fried corn"). Collards. Lets bring our soul food brothers in here. Fried Chicken IS suthun'.

Corn Bread stuffing! Shrimp and grits! Chicken fried steak! REAL pecan pie! The list could be endless!

Ron, with good fried chicken, try Guerry's recipe for corn bread. BUT, use real bacon grease, and put just a tiny bit too much grease in it. Mix in a chopped piece of bacon in that cornbread. And, on the side, have some fresh cut green onions. Open up the NO SUGAR cornbread, a pat or two of real butter, and some of those onions, and what a bite that makes!

I've traveled enough to have eaten a lot of traditional souther food, including fried corn, but I haven't really cooked any, so I think you have a great idea!

I'll ask my sister for my BIL's Mama Sue's (From Lower Alabama) cornbread stuffing which is the best I've ever had then.

I've traveled enough to have eaten a lot of traditional southern food
Me too, Ron_L. It's from spendin' time in the South that got me all mixed up in this crazy obsession in the first place. Ate some good Southern BBQ and said to myself "Self, you neeeed to learn how to cook this."

I want someone to tell me how they made the potatoes at Uncle Jones in Altamonte Springs, FL. If I get that recipe, I'll die a happy man.

Got authentic Southern recipes?

Bring 'em!

Here is my absolute favorite: My Granny's Sweet Potato Casserole

Ingredients
• 2 lbs sweet potatoes (fresh), cooked
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 1 cup sugar
• ½ tsp salt
• ¼ cup milk
• 1 stick butter, melted
• 1 tsp vanilla
• 1 cup chopped pecans
• 1 cup sweetened coconut
Directions
Mash sweet potatoes and all other ingredients together and place in large, rectangular Pyrex dish.

Topping
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup self-rising flour
1 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup butter, melted

Mix brown sugar, flour and pecans. Spread on top of sweet potato mixture, then drizzle with melted butter. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes,

Yea but my Folks are from Mississippi and we cook dressing not stuffing. :)

Last edited:
Back