The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Here we go! (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136481)

Wampus 06-21-2012 07:33 AM

Here we go!

So, we're legit!

Over the last months, we've been piecing the puzzle together.
I've got my Servsafe Cert, we've got insurance for catering and vending, and are getting set up in various counties in our area to vend and cater. We're also an established LLC and are all set with Uncle Sam.

This weekend, we'll be vending at a comp (while competing too) and are all set with HD permit. Going today to make the first (what seems) GIGANTIC purchase for supplies, food, drinks, etc. and take the official plunge.

I have to say, I'm a bit nervous, but not too much. We've done a lot of thinking and planning.

We're already booked for 2 other pretty big vending gigs later in the summer, have 3 or 4 catering gigs lined up and are talking with 2 different county farmer's markets to get rolling there, depending on those county's specific requirements.

This is the first step toward the big dream! Hope all this careful planning and investments pay off for us!

Thanks for all those here who (even unknowingly) have helped out with all the planning and thinking over the last months!

AND AWAY WE GO!!!!!!!

deguerre 06-21-2012 07:38 AM

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:thumb::thumb:

:becky:

nthole 06-21-2012 08:45 AM

GOOD LUCK! Prayers for your success.

PatAttack 06-21-2012 08:48 AM

GOOD LUCK, Brother!!

Pitmaster T 06-21-2012 08:48 AM

This is always exciting, getting started.

toadhunter911 06-21-2012 11:02 AM

Congrats Wampus. We'll be praying for you.

Mind if I ask what you'll be cooking on? My church is looking at starting a team and selling at the local farmers market next year (get out and mingle with the community, let 'em know we're out there and what we're doing, and feed 'em some good Q). I'm hoping we can do this on some drums. We don't really want to spend big $$$ on some other type smoker.

deguerre 06-21-2012 11:14 AM

Wampus and his partner recently got a Jambo so I'm just guessing...

fingerlickin' 06-21-2012 11:18 AM

Good for you Wampus. Go get em brother! :thumb:

deguerre 06-21-2012 11:18 AM

Come a LONG way since that 15 dollar ECB, eh Wampus?

Bamabuzzard 06-21-2012 11:39 AM

Good luck Wampus and congrats!!!!

Wampus 06-21-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toadhunter911 (Post 2103063)
Congrats Wampus. We'll be praying for you.

Mind if I ask what you'll be cooking on? My church is looking at starting a team and selling at the local farmers market next year (get out and mingle with the community, let 'em know we're out there and what we're doing, and feed 'em some good Q). I'm hoping we can do this on some drums. We don't really want to spend big $$$ on some other type smoker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deguerre (Post 2103080)
Wampus and his partner recently got a Jambo so I'm just guessing...

ACTUALLY.....

We'll be doing the bulk (if not all) of our catering and vending on an Ole Hickory CTO that Jimmy's had for a couple of years. He got it for a farkin song and I've personally put 20 butts on it and still had room to spare. The CTO's are propane assisted, fan and thermostatically controlled, so an IDEAL machine for getting sleep and such. We can do wood or charcoal or gas on it. It will be our money-maker.

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/z...k/IMG_2489.jpg

The Jambo will be for competition cooking or will be used for show/flash at places like farmer's markets or big vending events where we want to impress folks.

This weekend, for instance, we'll have the Jambo and an adjacent camp to do our normal competition routine, but will also have the CTO there and a different tent for vending out of with "hired" (read: family) help so Jimmy and I can stay focused for turn-ins.

Wampus 06-21-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deguerre (Post 2103086)
Come a LONG way since that 15 dollar ECB, eh Wampus?

Yeah, no kiddin.... Seems so long ago too......

I still have it, but don't cook on it much anymore.
SOOOOO grateful that I found this place!

hamiltont 06-21-2012 01:45 PM

You are definitely off to the races! Make us proud and keep us posted. Cheers!!!

Pyle's BBQ 06-21-2012 08:32 PM

Congrats on getting up and going. What is your menu? I hope things work out for you.

Wampus 06-25-2012 08:57 AM

Well,

Our first event was a resounding success!

We sold out both Friday and Saturday and sold more than we expected to! We also held our own competing while vending at the same time.
(we got 4th place chicken, 10th place pork and ended up 8th overall out of 30 teams)

We sold pulled pork, brisket, spares and rib tips as meat only entrees or as a platter with a choice of 2 sides (slaw, beans or chips). We also had MOINK ball skewers for sale on Friday night.

Friday and Saturday, we cooked and sold a total of 4 big briskets, 24 pork butts, 27 racks of spares, probably 40 racks of rib tips, 120 lbs of baked beans, 80 lbs of cole slaw, 100 bags of chips, 450 cans of pop, 72 bottles of draft style root beer and 180 bottles of water.

SOLD OUT!!!!

Couldn't have been happier, or more totally exhausted.

Jimmy and I got about 5 hours of sleep total each between Thursday and Friday nights.

We've already got 2 more vending gigs lined up for the 4th of July and Labor Day events and we picked up some more catering business this weekend from customers!