• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Bigmista's Brisket Appearance

Please rate the brisket in the pic

Votes: 8 6.3%

Votes: 26 20.5%

Votes: 69 54.3%

Votes: 20 15.7%

Votes: 2 1.6%

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Judges, how would you score this brisket and why?

viejas782.jpg

Neil, Im not a trained judge.
All I can say is pass me the bread. Another great job!

Neil, I have to give you a 7. While the brisket looks good, the upper most piece is longer and bending down and the lowest one is a bit long on the lower right end. I think you could even them up a bit more.
It looks nice and juicy and has a nice smoke ring.

Mista I think I agree with Ron. It looks like the slices had to be curled over to fit in the box. You could either cut the brisket to box size before you cook it (allow for shrinkage). Or you could just trim off one end.

Great smoke ring and it looks very moist.

Neil, when our slices are too long to fit sideways, we put them in diagonally.

Attachments

• Brisket Turn In.jpg
    Brisket Turn In.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 763
looks like you may have some burnt ends or chunks at the back to make the slices stand up and fan. Makes it look odd. Agree with comments on bending slices.

Garnish is not very good and while it's a meat contest the first overall impression is what you see in the box. I see a bunch of lettuce up front covering the first slice. That top slice neeeds to be in full view and needs to glisten. That's what the small paint brushes are for in our presentation boxes. If you take a competition class (Mike D., Rod, Trigg, etc. they show you their presentation boxes and all I can say is they sure are Kodak moments.

Sauce application to slices is good except for some ends. I'm guessing maybe you used hands to put in the box and rubbed off a little sauce and didn't go back and touch up. For brisket allow 2 minutes just to do little touch ups so everything is uniform and glistens.

Meat looks very well cooked and I'd be happy to sample a slcie as a judge.

I'm in for a 7 also. The garnish isn't even all around, but that wouldn't make me knock it down by itself, but it is a contributing factor. The meat should have been trimmed to fit or pu in on an angle like Pig Headed's box. Also, It's a picture so my opinion would probably be different in person, but it doesn't scream "eat me" to me. The slices look kind of flat (no shine) and the burnt ends look dry. That's probably the picture, however.

What were your appearance scores, Mista?

Pig Headed, what were your scores for your box? I like the shine on the bark but the chunks front and back look a little out of place. The slices do make me want to grab one, however. Probably an 8, maybe a 9 in person.

Seven in apperance

Box is not as neat as it should be.
you need to trim your brisket to fit in the
box. are you burnt ends there for the Judges
to eat or are they just a prop to hold your
slices up?? plus the part of some of your
slices that you made turn the corner is just
fat sticking up.. Most judges don't find fat
appealing.. I still would love to taste your
brisket looks moist and tasty.

Pig Headed, what were your scores for your box? I like the shine on the bark but the chunks front and back look a little out of place. The slices do make me want to grab one, however. Probably an 8, maybe a 9 in person.[/quote]

The box was from Dover this weekend. Got 8's and 9's in appearence. First time we used the chunks in a box. I just thought there was too much empty space in front and back of the slices. Wish the rest of the scores were as good. Mostly 7's in taste.

Mista, nice lookin meat for the most part. Even up your greens, slices are just too darn big, try trimming to desired size pre cook maybe loose some of that fat. Personaly fat is a part of that piece of meat and it doesn't bother me but I hear other judges not quite as ok with it as me. Looks moist and tasty.
Score 7.5 pry would write down a 7 just because of the ends of the slices.

Ron, 7 for yours, slices are too thin but look real nice. Those pieces in front , are there 6 or 12 if 12 then you just stacked some cut up slices not near as appealing as chunks. And chunks should not be perfect squares of meat!
Of course nothing a nice fresh bun would't fix!!!
ModelMaker

Neil,

7(ish) from me--Sorry.

Like everyone has said, attention to detail gets the biggo scores.

TIM

Wow!
What a tough crowd!

I am a little concerned with the ladybug on the lettuce.

I would give it a 7. I am posting this before reading everyone comments so I will be curious if anyone else votes like me and gives some feed back. The meat looks very inviting, but it looks crowded in the box. I like the garnish, but I would also put some parsley to accent it. As a CBJ, I sometimes struggle with appearence, I am told it is a "meat" contest but garnish is optional. Well if you are going to use garnish I want the team to try and go over the top! I am not sure if am way off base as a CBJ in this thinking? I will be very curious to see other responses.

Edit Mod: I see I am not as far off in my thinking as I thought!

Ron, 7 for yours, slices are too thin but look real nice. Those pieces in front , are there 6 or 12 if 12 then you just stacked some cut up slices not near as appealing as chunks. And chunks should not be perfect squares of meat!
Of course nothing a nice fresh bun would't fix!!!
ModelMaker[/quote]

There's 12 pieces there. I cut them up for some of the spectators, but had second thoughts and wanted to fill the void in front.

Pictures do not tell the whole story, but a few thoughts: Some of the excess in particular is fat - that coul dbe trimmed. Ther are what APPEAR to be pro be holes in some slices. Again, tough to tell, it could be where fat or connective has rendered away, but they look like possible holes from the picture. The garnis is uneven - not sure what to say other than that.

Oh yeah, one last thing, looks better than the boxes I put together!

Here are the scores:

777 766 877 776 765 766

Bentley can comment on taste and tenderness.

Here are the scores:

777 766 877 776 765 766

Bentley can comment on taste and tenderness.

Mista gave me a piece as we were sitting around. I thought it was tough, or a better way to put it would say it could have been more tender, told him I would give him a 6 for tenderness, but the flavor was a 9 if I had been judging it! It tasted like steak to me, one of the most flavorful briskets I have tasted. Neil's brisket was better than mine IMO, I get 16th he gets 24th. I know judging is subjective and my taste is not the World rule, but his brisket should have beat mine. I am getting to the point where I have no idea what a judge is look for!

If you would have let me taste my brisket and Neil's brisket before turn-in and pick which one I could turn in for my team it would have been his...I just dont get it!

BLQ the team that won GC and 1st in brisket at Viejas, I had a piece of their brisket at the 2006 Silent Valley contest and it was the best piece of brisket I have ever had bar none, I got 1st at that contest and BLQ got 3rd...again, sometimes I don't get it!

Thanks Bentley. I don't get it either. I can accept that it might not have been top ten but I really don't think it was 24th place brisket either. At least everybody liked the Gumbo.

Back