The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Mesquite Smoke Underrated????? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164977)

Q-Dat 07-03-2013 11:04 PM

Mesquite Smoke Underrated?????

Just thought I would see if I'm all alone on something

I know that Mesquite wood has the reputation of being good for grilling but bad for smoking. I would have to agree with this if we are talking about smoking for extended periods of time. That being said, I have been using Mesquite to smoke butts and briskets for a few years, but I only use it at the beginning of the cook. Usually this is on a UDS, or WSM or any other cooker in which a minion style burn is used. What I do is after the coals are lit and at the same time that the meat goes on, I take the biggest handful of Mesquite chips and drop them in a pile right on the burning coals. What I get from this is about 20-30 minutes of Mesquite smoke that burns very cleanly. It is recognizeable as Mesquite by the smell, but its much nicer and actually kinda sweet smelling. After that burns up the rest of the smoke comes from whatever other wood that I mixed in with the coals before lighting.

I really like the results when I do this. I can't honestly say that I can pick out the mesquite flavor in the finished product, but it just seems to give it a more pronounced smoke flavor without being harsh. I think if I used much more than I do it wouldn't work out so well.

So how bout it? Anybody else like Mesquite?

EWizza 07-03-2013 11:08 PM

I hate it! Cant help it. but different strokes...

Bludawg 07-03-2013 11:21 PM

I use mesquite in my UDS on Brisket. I take a split about 8" long and stand it up in the middle of my basket pack lump all around it. When I start the minion burn the mesqiute burns like a wick giving off just the right amount of smoke thought the cook. S&P + Beef+ Mesquite= Awesome.

martyleach 07-03-2013 11:28 PM

I like it in small quantities. Can really be overpowering.

bacowboy 07-03-2013 11:30 PM

I like using a little mesquite when smoking brisket or chucks. I usually mix a little in with hickory or apple. It burns pretty hot and a little goes a long way imo.

garzanium 07-03-2013 11:48 PM

im loving oak and just add one chunk of mesquite (5 inches x 2inches or so) at the beginning of the smoke..my family loves using all mesquite and i hate it so I use it in moderation. i think your right though, if you let it turn to blue smoke and do it at the beginning, it aint too bad. love it for grilling for sure

nucornhusker 07-03-2013 11:52 PM

Nope, sorry. No mesquite for me.

Q-Dat 07-03-2013 11:58 PM

Question for those who are completely against Mesquite.

Have you ever tried it used in moderation as mentioned above? Or has it always been harsh and overpowering?

Hawg Father of Seoul 07-04-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2538586)
I use mesquite in my UDS on Brisket. I take a split about 8" long and stand it up in the middle of my basket pack lump all around it. When I start the minion burn the mesqiute burns like a wick giving off just the right amount of smoke thought the cook. S&P + Beef+ Mesquite= Awesome.

I do this with hickory or Apple. I recommend it for h&f coolers.

AZScott 07-04-2013 12:30 AM

I've been wondering this as well after reading that Pecan Lodge uses it. I always use oak or pecan but I think a cook with all mesquite is coming up for brisket and ribs.

nucornhusker 07-04-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q-Dat (Post 2538614)
Question for those who are completely against Mesquite.

Have you ever tried it used in moderation as mentioned above? Or has it always been harsh and overpowering?

I used to use it at the beginning of a cook like you mentioned, it's just one of those things that it's just not for me.

GrillsGoneWild 07-04-2013 12:49 AM

Well I'm using Mesquite Lump on tonight's brisket cook (ala Pecan Lodge style and a few others here in Texas) with some chunks of pecan. I'm also using Pecan Lodge's rub recipe so we will see how those two things turn out.

esselle 07-04-2013 04:11 AM

I love mesquite for Brisket but because we compete we don't get to use it much as we were told judges don't care for it.

wormraper 07-04-2013 04:37 AM

of course. I'm from the southwest. we grill/smoke EVERYTHING with mesquite. toss in 3-4 chunks with beer can chicken, pork butts, you name it.

FireChief 07-04-2013 05:01 AM

This is funny as I've been turning more and more to mesquite these days for smoking, not just grilling. I think it works best in big offset cookers (which I have) as yes, if it doesn't light off and turn to TBS right away you can get a funky odor. Once lit, great odor and I never get an over smoked flavor.

I find it's easy to over smoke anything with oak which is used heavily in Central Texas. I'm way out here in the great desert Southwest where mesquite is used heavily.