Pit Boss Kamado Full User Review

Mark In The Pit

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
[ame]https://youtu.be/B1x_e7Ca5x4[/ame]

Hi Guys,

I put together a video with a walk through of the Pit Boss Kamado. I took a bunch of measurements and gave some of my opinions on things. I hope this helps someone in making a purchase decision if they are on the fence.

I do not work for and am in no way associated or affiliated with any grill manufacturer. I am just a grill enthusiast trying to give a full honest review of a product that I really happen to enjoy. I have not been offered any compensation for this review and it is of my own free will. If you have any questions that are not answered in this video please feel free to ask. I will do my best to respond in a timely manner.

Now for some specs.

Grill height: approximately 46” tall with the lid down
Grill width with shelf’s out: approximately 54”
Grill base width: 22”
Grill grate: 19.5” wide
Grate metal thickness: 4.8mm thick
Heat deflector thickness: 19.3mm thick
1 solid piece firebox: 24.25mm thick
Cast iron charcoal grate in the fire box.
Caster wheels: 3” diameter.

Cons:

Lower grill grate flips up (personal preference) making it feel unsteady when sitting in place. I don’t intend on ever adding coals mid cook or extra wood. I also don’t care for the nubs in the grate hinge getting in the way of searing a steak.
Heat deflector is not included.
Bottom grate appears to be intended to sit directly on the heat deflector.
After a few initial uses some of the screws, nuts and bolts loosen up but are easy to adjust.
Lower vent is not air tight but can be easily modified.

Pros:

Price
Build quality.
Second tier grate is nice to have but I haven’t had a need / opportunity to use it.
Shelf’s are included.
Stand is included.
Large solid caster wheels for moving around. They also lock into place if needed.
Thermostat seems accurate up to 400 degrees.
Steady holding temps.

You should specify that these measurements are for the K22 and not the K24 available at Costco.

I find that I use the second grate far more than the main grate. It gets your food further from the coals and closer to the felt line which is desirable for most things other than a high temp searing. Also, if you are going to use that style deflector, you can put it in legs down, main grate (and drip tray?) on the deflector and food on the top grate.

Save yourself some money and skip the cast iron grill grate. They really are the worst choice of any option out there for getting a good even sear.

The Pit Boss I got from Costco was the 22" version and included the heat deflector . Must be a regional thing and they sold different sizes in different areas .

I agree, I'm sure they sell different sizes in different areas at different times for different reasons at different stores depending on what is available when the time comes to order inventory. :) Mine came from Sears.com. They had both sizes available as purchase options but they were ordered and shipped from different suppliers. They had neither in stock in my area.

I just happened to stumble across the Pit Boss at Costco and it was marked down to $499 and I was like dang that's a good price. There was another couple there checking out the floor model and I started explaining how to run the thing and what advantages they offer in cooking and we both ended up loading each other's carts with a new unit. They are a good bang for the buck for a ceramic grill imho. And once dialed in hold temps great for long cooks.

I agree the bottom vent needs resealing as mine leaks air too a little and doesn't choke the fire box out like my Akorn jr and it's bigger brother the King Griller does. I also added another layer of felt to the daisy wheel on top to seal it a little better.

Also I custom made a wok ring for my Pit Boss . Haven't actually used it yet as I recently just got a Southwestern disc and it's got all my wok action lately. Not trying to hijack your thread Mark just wanted to share with you.

Attachments

• 8FF2FE23-9A2A-408C-9E33-014DEF738BBD.jpg
    8FF2FE23-9A2A-408C-9E33-014DEF738BBD.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 1F380F9C-D855-4F38-9D04-03E7F4215AC1.jpg
    1F380F9C-D855-4F38-9D04-03E7F4215AC1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 02E7FDDA-5D54-4723-A250-30F7740A4478.jpg
    02E7FDDA-5D54-4723-A250-30F7740A4478.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 97
Lols, no worries :) that is actually really awesome and gives me some ideas. Not sure what the ideas are yet, the wheels still turning. Did you weld that ring? If so where did you source the metal? What type of electrode did you use?

Yes I rolled the 1/2" hot rolled steel on my pexto slip roller into a circle and the lil ears that fit in the notches on the firebox are bent on a metal bender and I used my Lincoln Mig welder to squirt the metal . Could have tigged it and made it pretty but it's just a fire grate. Lol . I stock steel in my shop and deal with a local steel vendor. I have my own machine shop at my house.

Ring roller shot

Attachments

• 7B781AF6-A2B1-4494-B3EF-43020EEF6762.jpg
    7B781AF6-A2B1-4494-B3EF-43020EEF6762.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 84
Very very cool. I just got into welding recently. Got a little hobby stick welder and have been reading everything I can find about safety and different types of metals. Lots to learn.

I just welded the gaps on the inside of my Oklahoma Joe fire box. Outside would have been way easier but I knew those pooh buggers my novice hands would leave on there would be unsightly.

Hey Mark might want to look into a kickash basket or something similar . I ended up with a stainless one off of Amazon and it leaves a gap around the fire box so it doesn't allow the holes in the box to get clogged with ash . It also improved the time to get up to temp as well as is much easier to clean out the ash when needed. In my previous wok pic you can see it . I feel it's a worth while investment.

Back