The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   dutch oven beans (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17436)

FatDaddy 04-26-2006 11:52 PM

dutch oven beans

anyone here ever done pinto beans in a dutch oven on top of their firebox? i have both a 12" dutch oven and 14" campoven(no legs) wanting to do some this weekend at LJT but dont want to screw them up.. have a tripod i can do them over the camp fire as well.. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

bbqjoe 04-26-2006 11:55 PM

leave it open and do them in the smoker.

FatDaddy 04-26-2006 11:59 PM

so just stick em with the brisket and let em cook at about 225 or so till the brisket is done

nmayeux 04-27-2006 12:10 AM

I like to put them under a butt or some ribs. Nothing beats beans done in the smoker.

FatDaddy 04-27-2006 12:16 AM

roughly how long do i need to cook them? im stickin some salt pork in them due to the inablilty to place them under my ribs ..

bbqjoe 04-27-2006 01:12 AM

I would precook them till almost done. Just a very, very small hint of crunch left in the bean. Seasoned how you like, put in smoker, lid off. Stir if and when you peek.

Yakfishingfool 04-27-2006 06:21 AM

I like to take a bold JD fattie,and slice up some of it into my beans. then add some of the rub, maybe some mustard, whatever and let it sit in the vertical portion of my BYC. Heats up, good smokieness, a great flavor. Scot

FatDaddy 04-27-2006 06:39 AM

yea i may put some fattie in it.. im doing 2 2lb fatties 1 13# brisket and about 6or 8 racks of spares and 1-2 bags of leg quarters this weekend and we are going to attempt the beans. my fiance allways makes our charro beans so its been a long while since ive made them by myself, and never over a campfire. so it will be a crapshoot, im taking 2# cooked bush's pinto beans and all my fixins to doctor em up if the home made dont turn out lol.. will post pics when i get em developed sometime next week.. feeding about 10 friends and the Mike Mancy band

Sawdustguy 04-27-2006 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmayeux
I like to put them under a butt or some ribs. Nothing beats beans done in the smoker.

It's definetly a pork fat thing........Hmmmm good done in the smoker.

FatDaddy 04-30-2006 05:51 PM

Beans turned out awesome, Ribs turned out awesome , everyone loved the fatties, and the stuffed jalapeno's and the jalapeno,cheese deer sausage. ill post some pics when i get em developed. im still in the 35mm camera phase since i broke my digital a while back. Unfortunatly due to torrental down pours on saturday we didnt cook so i didnt get to do brisket or chicken. But a good time was had by all at LJT '06 we consumed ALOT of beer in 3 days and alot of food, and rocked out the the Best Bands in Texas Red dirt music all weekend long..

bbqjoe 04-30-2006 07:29 PM

What the fark is this? LJT LJT LJT LJT LJT

bbqjoe 04-30-2006 07:29 PM

What the fark is this? LJT Is this like greek or hebrew or what?

FatDaddy 05-01-2006 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbqjoe
What the fark is this? LJT Is this like greek or hebrew or what?

LJT Larry Joe Taylor 18th annual music festival and chili cook off, 3-5 days of beer drinking and texas red dirt music (cross canadian ragweed, jason boland and the stragglers, randy rogers band......) bout 10 or so of us have 2 campsites together and we camp out and cook and drink beer all day then go down and watch the concerts at night .. it is a blast.. it is located at the melody oaks ranch out side of stephenville texas.

NorthernQ 05-01-2006 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDaddy
LJT Larry Joe Taylor 18th annual music festival and chili cook off, 3-5 days of beer drinking and texas red dirt music (cross canadian ragweed, jason boland and the stragglers, randy rogers band......) bout 10 or so of us have 2 campsites together and we camp out and cook and drink beer all day then go down and watch the concerts at night .. it is a blast.. it is located at the melody oaks ranch out side of stephenville texas.

Sounds like a blast, for sure. Next time, stem, split and seed a couple of jalapeños and float them in the beans. Nice touch of flavour and a bit of heat.

FatDaddy 05-01-2006 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthernQ
Sounds like a blast, for sure. Next time, stem, split and seed a couple of jalapeños and float them in the beans. Nice touch of flavour and a bit of heat.

in my beans i put serrano peppers 2-3 of em some tomatos, garlic 5-6 cloves, pinto bean seasoning( honest to pete the best stuff i have ever tasted) and porksalt, and throw some cilantro in at the last.. love charro beans..