Score cards

Sledneck

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Are we allowed to request the hand written score cards after a contest? Do they throw them out? I was messing with my spread sheet figuring out Rubs scores with all 9's and by mistake entered one number wrong. It changed the score significantly and it was only the 8 instead of a 9. I wonder how often this happens? I would imagine with the pressure of getting all of the scores in and sheets printed before awards, human error can happen.

It's inevitable, if humans are involved there will be error.

You've already looked at what a simple error can do to your scores.
Now imagine a non-sanctioned contest that decided to use a 100 pt system.
Although, the blatant entry errors were easy to spot, nobody was looking.:mad:

(not that Aaron is bitter or anything or that i stopped competing there. )

but anyway. the reps do go back and spot check one table for each category. I wish they would do more but that is what they do.

I remember last year KCBS came out and said in one of the minutes that they found an entry error by a rep that cuased a change in the winner of an event or category i dont remeber which.

KCBS paid for the money messup and the trophy.

I dont know if the reps are allowed to show you the cards or not.

Reps may show you the score cards if you have a concern. I believe most strive to give the best customer service.

With that being said, sometime Reps have long drives or have to catch a flight. I would think if 10 or 15 teams wanted to review cards, this could be problematic.

I have had times where I copied the cards for the teams and sent them to the team, if I could not show them on the spot. In addition if a cook team has an issue the KCBS office can look into the accuracy of a score card.

KCBS does routine audits of contests nearly every week. The goal is that every Rep or Rep team will be audited at least once a season. This helps us maintain quality control and will show when additional training or issues are occurring.

Merl

(not that Aaron is bitter or anything or that i stopped competing there. )

For the record, I'm not bitter.
It is what it is.....and aside from a local rib contest (which has judging issues of it's own) I think I'll stick to KCBS sanctioned contests.

Although there is always the "potential" for human error, I at least have a warm fuzzy feeling that someone is looking over the scores with KCBS.

Reps may show you the score cards if you have a concern. I believe most strive to give the best customer service.

With that being said, sometime Reps have long drives or have to catch a flight. I would think if 10 or 15 teams wanted to review cards, this could be problematic.

I have had times where I copied the cards for the teams and sent them to the team, if I could not show them on the spot. In addition if a cook team has an issue the KCBS office can look into the accuracy of a score card.

KCBS does routine audits of contests nearly every week. The goal is that every Rep or Rep team will be audited at least once a season. This helps us maintain quality control and will show when additional training or issues are occurring.

Merl
Why not just give them to the cooks with the score sheets?

Why not just give them to the cooks with the score sheets?
they would have to make 6 copies of each one.
I wish the printouts KCBS provides would include the scores of each team and what table they belong to.
We could see if we are at least the best at our table or whatever.

i am sure as policy they dont want to do this because the judges name is on each one.
It would take away from the double blind effect.

Our last contest had an error in our brisket score. I had been back home for a week and hadn't looked at our score sheet. My wife came back home and asked to see the sheet. I got it out of the trailer and she said, "Wow, one judge gave you a 1 in tenderness":!: I said, "that's impossible." nobody can give a 1 except the rep and that's a DQ and requires a visit to the camp with an explanation.

Long story short, I contacted the rep (Wayne Lohman). He said the score cards had been mailed to KCBS already and he would have to get the score from them. Turned out the score should have been a 9 instead of a 1 and it raised us several places in brisket and in the overall.

I got a crash course in figuring out the weighted scoring system due to this and it really opened my eyes to just how much difference the points are between appearance - tenderness - taste. A 9 in appearance is worth 5.1426 a 9 in taste is worth 20.5722 and a 9 in tenderness is 10.2852 I've been worrying more about the appearance points, but I've changed my focus on making sure the taste and tenderness is there first and then worrying about the appearance.

Back