The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Saved an offset - price check help? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152709)

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle 01-30-2013 08:30 AM

Saved an offset - price check help?

4 Attachment(s)
I recently saved an 18 year old Pitts & Spitts U1830 offset. I'm just about done getting her spit shined and was curious what you guys think I could sell it for. I've been debating back in forth since the purchase on whether to keep it or not and for now the plan is to sell it.

I read up here on fire management and it seems like stickburners are truly a passionate and time intensive way to cook. Unfortunately my current lifestyle doesn't lend itself to this artform. So rather than holding onto it for a time when I can learn the pit, I've decided to sell it to bolster the setup I currently have and plan to have in the next 12 months.

Any advice on what I should be looking to sell this thing for. You may want to include a separate price with a brethren discount....just in case!

Obviously these are pre-spitshine.

Attachment 75124

Attachment 75125

RangerJ 01-30-2013 08:44 AM

Without seeing the inside that appears to be in darn good shape for 18 years old!

List price new is like $1700 plus shipping. Which is shall we say "pricey". P&S still builds a good product but they are not currently at the top of the list for many cookers down here.

You could easily sex up an ad about the "world famous Pitts and Spits from Texas". Not sure what the market would bear where your at or what you have in the pit, so thats a tough one.

And you should give it a test run, I don't think management would be as consuming as you think on a chamber of that size. Start with about half a bag of kingsford to get things going and add wood after that.

Post some shined up pics when you can and good luck!

Midnight Smoke 01-30-2013 10:10 AM

I would hang onto it for awhile. Give it a try before you sell. Once it is gone it's gone, looks like a nice find.

Smoothsmoke 01-30-2013 10:13 AM

$200 with shipping included to California :wink:

Bludawg 01-30-2013 10:18 AM

Double what you paid because we all know you stole it!

BBQ Bandit 01-30-2013 10:32 AM

Riddle me this... how long will it take you to find another at that price?

When you do... sell the first one.

gtr 01-30-2013 10:45 AM

Ask $4k. Then explain to your wife that you're having a hard time selling it, and maybe if you "season" it every weekend with different meats it will be easier to sell. With each passing week, just tell here that a couple more weeks should get it to where it needs to be. Repeat as often as necessary.

deguerre 01-30-2013 11:02 AM

I'm definitely in the FARKIN' KEEP IT! camp.:becky:

spider22 01-30-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke (Post 2347642)
$200 with shipping included to California :wink:

I was thinking $225 with shipping to NH

VoodoChild 01-30-2013 11:31 AM

Find a Place In the Corner and Put a cover on it and when things allow the time you will be glad you kept it .. because if you sell it whatever you replace it with will prob . be inferior and then youd want to upgrade again ... Not that Ive ever done that . Lol Nice Pit Keep it ! :blah::mrgreen::becky::clap2:

Oh by the way Ill store it free for as long as need be .

spider22 01-30-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spider22 (Post 2347708)
I was thinking $225 with shipping to NH

on a more serious note I believe general rule of thumb most of the time for most used things is around half of what it would cost new and someone else mentioned it was $1700 new so my guess would be around $850. I am not sure whether or not you would be able to get that much from it or not. A lot would depend on how bad you wanted to get rid of it and how quickly.

Bluesman 01-30-2013 11:55 AM

What is this term, "sell" that you speak of...........:confused:

deguerre 01-30-2013 11:55 AM

Found a seller for new ones

http://www.ibuybarbeques.com/product...moker-Pit.html

So the MSRP is 2100. You would have to consider though, how many people would be interested in an offset that small. If you're just cooking for family, then OK. For a party though, unless you have at least one other cooker...

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle 01-30-2013 11:56 AM

Thanks for nothin farkers!!!

Seriously though I guess I should air my intentions. I wanted to start gearing up to try my hand at comps next year. I have another cheap offset I was planning on selling in addition to this one. With that cash I was planning on buying a second wsm 22.5 and a cyberq. Yes I can manage my temps fine on my wsm now but would like the extra sleep from what I'm understanding. I was thinking $750 but after listening to you knuckleheads I am back to the internal struggle of keeping it or not. Guess I'll pick up some wood this weekend and give it a shot with a short rib cook.

Damn you guys!!!!

Bluesman 01-30-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fo Sizzle My Nizzle (Post 2347742)
Thanks for nothin farkers!!!

I'll pick up some wood this weekend and give it a shot with a short rib cook.

Damn you guys!!!!

We just gave you the correct answer, you know you wanted to hear........didn't you....:becky: Now thank everybody for helping you from making a horrendous life decision, you would have regretted the rest of your days........:tsk: