The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Smoking leg of lamb wrapped in agave (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98347)

Wheezer 01-06-2011 02:56 PM

Smoking leg of lamb wrapped in agave

Hi everyone, I purchased a Traeger 075 last week and my expirience thus far is Rib Eyes. My wife just picked up a 6 pound boneless leg of lamb and would like me to smoke it wrapped in agave. My biggest concern is that the agave growing in my yard is the blue ish grey sort and not the kind that is used to make tequila. I am thinking that it may be better to inject or rub agave syrup? Any help with this or suggested cooking time, temp, pellets, etc... would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Wheezer

Wheezer 01-06-2011 02:57 PM

laughing at:
"Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match."
Not far from the truth!

Divemaster 01-06-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheezer (Post 1504116)
Hi everyone, I purchased a Traeger 075 last week and my experience thus far is Rib Eyes. My wife just picked up a 6 pound boneless leg of lamb and would like me to smoke it wrapped in agave. My biggest concern is that the agave growing in my yard is the blue ish grey sort and not the kind that is used to make tequila. I am thinking that it may be better to inject or rub agave syrup? Any help with this or suggested cooking time, temp, pellets, etc... would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Wheezer

Sorry, I don't know much about agave, but I do like the idea of injecting a thinned down version of your agave rub... I guess it depends on how strong of a flavor the rub has...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheezer (Post 1504118)
laughing at:
"Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match."
Not far from the truth!

Don't worry about it... Both the title and experience level change with time... Just the fact that you are trying something different with the lamb shows that!

Campfire Girl 01-06-2011 03:25 PM

I would just season it with S&P then some garlic cloves stuck in small holes, and then rosemary. Crumbled and spread all over the outside with a little oil.

Cook low and slow until Med rare. about 145. Let it rest for 30 minutes and then eat the best lamb you have ever imagined.

Wheezer 01-06-2011 03:27 PM

Thanks Jeff! thinking now of injecting a lime, tequila, agave syrup mix and rubbing with agave syrup, chipotle, and cilantro. Just need to nail down time, temp and pellets!

Wheezer 01-06-2011 03:30 PM

Thanks CG, I like the garlic idea, sounds tasty! Hate to ask but what exactly is low and slow?

Divemaster 01-06-2011 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheezer (Post 1504142)
Thanks Jeff! thinking now of injecting a lime, tequila, agave syrup mix and rubbing with agave syrup, chipotle, and cilantro. Just need to nail down time, temp and pellets!

Sounds like a solid plan. One thing though.... Make sure you take plenty of pictures and post them back here!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Campfire Girl (Post 1504140)
I would just season it with S&P then some garlic cloves stuck in small holes, and then rosemary. Crumbled and spread all over the outside with a little oil.

Cook low and slow until Med rare. about 145. Let it rest for 30 minutes and then eat the best lamb you have ever imagined.

That's not all that far off from the marinade that I used on my Smoked Lamb Ribs...

They turned out so good that people who don't like lamb were coming back for seconds!

chambersuac 01-06-2011 03:49 PM

Good luck with your cook. Let us know how it goes.

Wheezer 01-06-2011 03:53 PM

Will do Dan, probably happen tommorow. My youngest daughter has me smoking beef weiners today!

Arlin_MacRae 01-06-2011 04:00 PM

OK, I went out and found a recipe for agave-wrapped lamb. They place the wrapped meat over a pot of stuff, then put it in a hot fire in the ground.

Bro, if you can, I'd save that agave wrapping idea for a cheaper piece of meat like a pork shoulder or butt. Learn on that stuff, not expensive lamb!

And congrats on your new Traeger 075. I love mine!

Arlin

Wheezer 01-06-2011 04:06 PM

Thanks Arlin, that sounds like good advice!

Arlin_MacRae 01-06-2011 04:08 PM

Remember, though: I don't have to live with your wife after you make that suggestion to her. :drama::becky:

Phrasty 01-06-2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheezer (Post 1504116)
Hi everyone, I purchased a Traeger 075 last week and my expirience thus far is Rib Eyes. My wife just picked up a 6 pound boneless leg of lamb and would like me to smoke it wrapped in agave. My biggest concern is that the agave growing in my yard is the blue ish grey sort and not the kind that is used to make tequila. I am thinking that it may be better to inject or rub agave syrup? Any help with this or suggested cooking time, temp, pellets, etc... would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Wheezer

Wrapping the lamb would diminish the point of smoking it. You will end up with smoked agave instead of smoked lamb. If you just gonna roast it then thats a different story. However I agree with Arlin in usin the agave another time. Whenever I do Lamb I have a curry rub and a rosemary/garlic rub. I HIGHLY reccomend the rosemary/garlic rub. I did it on some lamb shanks a while back and made a post... ok found it:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=89347

You can cut up the rosemary finer if you like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheezer (Post 1504142)

Just a personal note here, I'd be a little concerned about marinating/injecting the lamb too long with the lime & alcohol.

All you need is garlic, chili, rosemary, salt and EVOO for Lamb. It is such a wonderful meat, I find the garlic and rosemary really compliments the flavor well. For a nice med/med-rare doneness, smoke to about 120 then take off and rest for 10 minutes and heat up the fire then "reverse-sear" the roast quickly and your wife will forget all about the agave... :thumb:

Cheers

Campfire Girl 01-06-2011 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheezer (Post 1504144)
Thanks CG, I like the garlic idea, sounds tasty! Hate to ask but what exactly is low and slow?

Wheezer, Low and Slow is smoking meat at a low temp, and slow is cooking it for a long time.

For most of us this is true BBQ and smoking. The process allows you to cook less expensive cuts of meat and making them taste like heaven.

Sort of like braising in liquid. Probably like your Mom did with a pot roast.

There is a reaction that happens and I don't think I can go into all of that in this post.

You will see the term, "It's done when it's done" meaning sometimes it takes longer than you might think it should.

Keep reading and you will learn the process in a short time.

Good luck.

Wheezer 01-07-2011 10:41 AM

Thanks again CG!

If my internal temp target was 140 I would assume that cooking at 150 I would eventually meet my target temp. Maybe I should change my name to grasshopper lol! When you can grab the peppercorns from my hand.....