The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Anyone have a Vitamix? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153373)

Retired RailRoader 02-08-2013 07:08 AM

Anyone have a Vitamix?

I was in Costco yesterday and I was very impressed with the Vitamix. I know it's very pricey but I really liked it. Does anyone have one and if you do what do you think of it and what do you make with it. Thanks

Daddy-O 02-08-2013 07:16 AM

I don't know much about the new ones, but I picked up an old (mid '70's maybe) one at a garage sale ($1!).

That thing is incredible. 17 full load amps (!).

It is chrome, with an avacado green base- thats why I'm thinking '70's.

If they still make the same quality as the one I got, it is well worth it.

Trumpstylz 02-08-2013 07:27 AM

They're pretty much the best blender on the market. I don't currently have one, but I've seen what they can do, and they're a wonder.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 02-08-2013 08:20 AM

The Vitamax 5200 along with the more economical Breville Hemisphere Control are top rated by Cook's Illustrated.

16Adams 02-08-2013 08:33 AM

Nutri Bullet sold at bed bath/beyond with a 20% coupon comes to 80$. I can make juice from a sweet potato. Pretty amazing versatile piece of equipment. Vitamix are just simply amazing but big

trufunk 02-08-2013 08:52 AM

Don't have one but I'd love to have one. My Aunt has an old one that is chrome, it's really cool.I think it has a switchin the front that reverses the blade direction.

peaspurple 02-08-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16Adams (Post 2359113)
Nutri Bullet sold at bed bath/beyond with a 20% coupon comes to 80$. I can make juice from a sweet potato. Pretty amazing versatile piece of equipment. Vitamix are just simply amazing but big

I agree, my kids got me a nutri bullet for christmas and it is amazing. It will turn almost anything into juice.

gtr 02-08-2013 09:41 AM

I have a Blendtec that I love. From what I can tell, the performance between those and Vitamix are comparable. What sold me on the Blendtec was that it has a lower profile and would fit under my kitchen cabinets while sitting on the counter. Seems to me like the move is to grab one or the other depending on the deal you can get.

Motley Q 02-08-2013 09:54 AM

Is this a trick question?

Why would anyone spend $500 on a blender?

It's a damn blender.

Buy a $20 blender and take $480 and buy a rice cooker and a banana holder.

Oh, and a omlet maker and salad shooter.........

basuraman 02-08-2013 09:59 AM

My Ninja does the trick on most things. Made a killer pesto in nothing flat the other day.

Crazy Harry 02-08-2013 10:51 AM

I have one, I got it to grind up chicken bones and all for a cat with no teeth. I also got the dry blade for blending rubs.

slammmed 02-08-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motley Q (Post 2359198)

It's a damn blender.

There is world of difference between a $20 blender and a vita mix. And if you haven't see one in action you really should.

We have a vita mix and honestly i've never questioned the quality/price value. We've have several blenders that have all worked mediocre and will never buy another brand again, except maybe a blendtec.

Toronto 02-08-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motley Q (Post 2359198)

It's a damn blender.

Ill put a Vitamix or Blendtec up against any $20 blender you bring to the table and we will see where all the extra money went.

Its kinda like saying you can get a car for $2000 why would you need to spend $100,000 for a Ferrari?

People do more than crush ice in a blender.

bigabyte 02-08-2013 11:13 AM

I have had a BlendTec for 6 years now and it's hands down the best thing I ever purchased for my kitchen. The BlendTec is pretty comparable to the Vitamix, they are basically direct competitors.

You will be amazed how over tim you find yourself using it for things you either never thought to do, or puled out other things to do.

As for comparing to regular blenders, there is no comparison. Regular blenders just mix stuff up and make relatively small chunks out of it. You could run it for hours and it would never get as smooth and creamy as something run through a Blendtec for just a few seconds. It's like trying to compare a bottle rocket to the space shuttle.

Partyof5 02-08-2013 11:17 AM

I have a blendtec and use is for green smoothies mostly. It also makes great crushed/shaved ice for mixed drinks. I plan on getting the twister jar to make my own nut butters soon.

If it broke today, I wouldn't hesitate to replace it with another blendtec or vitamix. I use it daily.